Looking for advice on Kidney Stones

The last time they put a stent in for my kidney stones was in 1999. I hated having it. I constantly had to go to the bathroom and having the stent was just uncomfortable. Anyway, had stones many, many times since 1999 and each time I requested no stent. But honestly in my cases they didn't seem to want to use one anyway. I did take flomax though the last time. I've had many lithos and they don't always work on the first try. Currently I have a bunch of stones in both kidneys but they are not bothering me. I did pass a very small one over the summer and it was nothing. Sorry for those in so much pain. I know it can be truly awful.

Lemon juice and lots of water.When I've felt them start,I grab a big glass of water and get on the treadmill.It stinks,but the movement helps to pass them.Best of luck-they're awful.

Lemon juice and lots of water.When I've felt them start,I grab a big glass of water and get on the treadmill.It stinks,but the movement helps to pass them.Best of luck-they're awful.

I've been putting fresh lemon juice in every glass of water hoping it helps. A co-worker told me to take a hot bath so I tried that last night. So I'll try anything.

Thanks to everyone for all of the comments, shared experiences and suggestions!

The last time they put a stent in for my kidney stones was in 1999. I hated having it. I constantly had to go to the bathroom and having the stent was just uncomfortable. Anyway, had stones many, many times since 1999 and each time I requested no stent. But honestly in my cases they didn't seem to want to use one anyway. I did take flomax though the last time. I've had many lithos and they don't always work on the first try. Currently I have a bunch of stones in both kidneys but they are not bothering me. I did pass a very small one over the summer and it was nothing. Sorry for those in so much pain. I know it can be truly awful.

Do you know why you keep making stones? I really want to know what's causing mine.

That is why it is important to get the chemical makeup of the stone. I am surprised your doc did not give you a strainer to capture the stone for analysis. If it is the most common kind, diet and more water should help alleviate future occurrences, but that is not a guarantee. Some other types require drugs to help alleviate. A kidney stone is like a pearl. It is crystals that combine together in layers.

I don't know what was worse the kidney stone or the chronic appendicitis. Both had me doubled over in pain. Mine was small and I was able to pass it. They gave me flomax but they also gave me toradol. They said the combination helps relax the muscles of the bladder /urethra so you can pass the stone. I know i have more so I drink lemonade, lemon water and cut out almost all of my soda consumption.

I’ve had those. Sorry you have to wait so long. Since they know the stone is already there are they looking for something else?

oh my, i cant believe you have to wait! i was surprised you were able to even be on this thread with a stone. im glad it isnt excruciating pain. it just shows we are all different. mine come on like a freight train and i am climbing the walls until its gone. most pain meds do not help me. i hope you are well soon! hang in there! :hug:

Right now I'm not in any pain AND the urgency to go has stopped. The doctor's office said the stone has probably just shifted :confused3. I haven't seen a stone in the toilet yet.

They want to do the contrast x ray to make sure it has passed or if I have any fragments left. Honestly I think this guy is looking for ways to bill me for stuff. They said they were worried I might have an obstruction. I would think if it was blocking anything I would be in extreme pain and having trouble going to the bathroom.

I was in extreme pain with the one in April though. I thought something had ruptured.

A little update. I had an IVP yesterday. The radiologist said he doesn’t see the stuck stone anymore but there is scar tissue. However my left kidney still looks weird and swollen. The urologist said we could wait and do another IVP in two weeks but he would really like to do the uteroscopy with stent to see what is happening. I have read so many horror stories online about the stent hurting and feeling like the worst UTI of your life. I’m terrified!

DH has chronic kidney stones. I think now his plumbing is so scarred up from them it takes a really nasty one to actually cause any pain. He made a few changes to try and help:

He's cut out all caffeine, he doesn't drink some Sprite, but not a lot. He started drinking bottled water, due to the really high mineral content in our water here in Colorado, it causes a lot of stones in men. He's also started drinking Lemonade, the real stuff to get the citrus boost, but the biggest difference for him is the bottled water. He was drinking filtered water at work, and couldn't figure out why he kept getting stones, when we found that the filter doesn't remove all of the minerals, so back to bottled it is!

The stent stays in for a week. That's the part that worries me. Two nurses told me it's pretty horrible. They said you feel like you have to go to the bathroom the entire time it's in and it feels like you're peeing razor blades. I'm so bummed. I feel great right now so I thought I had passed it. The doctor said it's probably just in a good spot with no movement but my left kidney is swollen with urine so it appears it is still there causing a blockage :(.

Thanks for the advice about the bottled water. How depressing! I am drinking a lot of water and I definitely hoped that would prevent this from happening again!

I read that story about the roller coasters. I feel like I have read everything on kidney stones in the last month on the internet ;)!

Well as much as I always hated having a stent put in and always having to go to the bathroom I don’t remember having pain while going?????? Maybe others can chime in.

oh my, i cant believe you have to wait! i was surprised you were able to even be on this thread with a stone. im glad it isnt excruciating pain. it just shows we are all different. mine come on like a freight train and i am climbing the walls until its gone. most pain meds do not help me. i hope you are well soon! hang in there! :hug:

When I had mine it came on out of nowhere too. I wasn’t in constant pain but it would go from a 1 to 10 very quickly. I have a pretty high tolerance for pain but mine had me writhing in pain and bawling my eyes out in the ER...and I still waited for about four hours to get seen.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!