• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Looking For A Little Help, Please...

weluvdisney

DIS Veteran
Hi;

I'm planning a last minute trip to DL, DH are giving each other for Christmas a trip to DL for just the two of us. We are going 2/10/06-2/15/06, this will be the first kidless trip we have ever taken!!!.

My questions are, what advice can you give me as far as crowds in February, some not to miss attractions and restraunts Etc.

We will be staying at the Crowne Plaza, has anyone stayed here before and what did you think??

I am so excited but also a little overwhelmed because I know so little about DL and it is so close!!!

Thanks In Advance!!!!

Slow time for the boards - we're all in Thanksgiving mode - I'm sure you'll get a ton of responses tomorrow when people start killing time at work!!!!
We stayed at the Crowne Plaza right after they opened - it is a very nice hotel! A bit far from the park, but there is a shuttle that we used. The shuttle is shared with a few other resorts, so the ride takes about 15 minutes to the park, or back to the hotel - but sometimes less. We really liked the hotel itself, the room service and restaurant are quite nice, we never had a chance to use the pool, or many of the other hotel ammenities as we were at the parks all day - but really liked our stay there!
We stayed there in July (a very busy time) and occasionally the shuttle was standing room only, but I doubt you'll have this problem in Feb.
The crowds all year seem to have been bigger than normal - but other than Presidents' Day weekend - Feb is usually a great month to go! Nice weather, but can get rainy - it is sometimes the start of the rainy season - the very edge of it - so bring lightweight parkas - perhaps to keep in a backpack or in a locker. The park does sell them as well if you don't want to worry about it! You'll most likely have a wonderful, rain free stay if you carry the parks around with you!
I would bring layers - it will be nice during the day - but mornings and eveninigs will be chilly to cold. The pools are usually heated, and I'm sure the hotel has a hot tub - so you should probably plan on bringing swim wear anyway!
As far as must sees - it's all rather based on opinions - but as a long time park goer - here are mine!!!
At DL -
Pirates of the Carribbean
Haunted Mansion
Peter Pan
Mr Toads Wild Ride
Space Mountain
Buzz Lightyear
Star Tours
Splash Mountain
Thunder Mountain RR
Jungle Cruise

Shows -
Billy Hill and the Hillbillies

At DCA-
Soarin' Over CA
Grizzley River Run
TOT
California Screamin'
Redwood Creek Challenge Trail

Shows -
It's Tough to be a Bug
Golden Dreams
Aladdin
if you get a chance.... the Muppetts is cool!

Hints -
If Fantasmic is showing twice is the eveining - go to the 2nd show - it's less crowded!
Do Fantasyland 1st thing in the morning - the rides do not have Fastpass and the lines get very long!!!
Try doing DL in the morning until the crowds pick up - head over to DCA for a while, eat lunch, enjoy the relative lack of crowds, and then head back over to DL for all the nighttime entertainment!

Classics that were Walt's Favorite - The Storybookland Canal Boats and Casey JR - these are also not at WDW in FL - so try to see these - they are really cute - and some of my favorites as they remind me of my childhood!

I'm sure you'll get more soon!
have a great trip!!!

Kristy;

Thanks for your reply and all of your wonderful tips and suggestions!!!

All were very much appreciated!!! Julie :teeth:

I second everything AFMom said! I might suggest a nice meal at Blue Bayou inside Disneyland. Its right inside the Pirates ride and is very nice and dark, you really feel like you are dining on the bayou! We prefer lunch so we can get the Monte Cristo which is large and rich enough to be shared. I also love Naples in Downtown Disney. My husband and I took a kidless trip awhile back and really enjoyed dining there one evening. We like to sit outside, they have heat lamps for when its cool. There is often a wonderful violinist who plays near there and you can hear the lovely music. My husband went out and bought me a cd and surprised me with it later to remember our romantic dinner! If you really want to splurge there is the Napa Rose inside the Grand Californian. It's a lot of money but supposed to be wonderful. There is also the Vineyard Room which has a three course meal paired with wines. The House of Blues in DTD has live music throughout the week. These are all nice places to go without kids (although Blue Bayou is great for families too). Also be sure to stroll through DCA at night, the lights of Paradise Pier are so beautiful. My last bit of advice is to bring plenty of spending money, we had a great time, but seeing so many kids reminded us of our own and we ended up buying them tons of stuff because we missed them and felt a tad guilty being at Disneyland without them! Still it was so nice, I couldn't believe what a great spot for couples Disneyland is, I hope we get to go again just the two of us sometime in the future! Enjoy your planning and your trip!

P.S. Make sure you see the fireworks, Remember. They are spectacular, even better than Wishes at WDW.

My DH and I just returned from DLR and our first visit to the resort as a couple in 25 years. We found that it was a much different experience than with the kids or even other couples. I don't know how you intend to book your hotel and tickets, but the early entry thing offered through AAA worked really well for us. We were at the gates about 5 minutes after it opened and walked right in. Fantasyland and some of Tomorrowland were open. We only did rides in the morning--no shopping. By our 11:30 reservation at the Blue Bayou we had ridden most of the rides in the park. We never went to Towntoon and had to go back to Tomorrowland to pick up the rides that were closed in the morning.

Don't know anything about your hotel. Sorry!

I went at that same time of year in 2002 and loved it. Sweatshirts were great, and we'd just tie them around our waists during the warmer part of the day. It was fun to sit in the outdoor hot tub at our hotel and realize that back home it was below freezing with snow on the ground.

The crowds were small, most of the fastpass machines were closed because the wait was less than 10 minutes for standby.

Valentines Day was really fun because all of the princesses had their princes there with them.

I recommend Goofy's Kitchen for brunch over at the Disneyland Hotel if you like character dining. Don't forget to get ice cream with a fresh made waffle cone at the Gibson Girl Ice Cream Parlor on Main Street. I also highly recommend the Dole Pineapple Whips just outside the Tiki Room.

My favorite attractions:
Buzz Lightyear Astro Blasters (especially if you and DH are competitave)
Splash Mountain (cool new effects)
Thunder Mountain
Space Mountain
Matterhorn
Pirates of the Caribbean
Haunted Mansion
Davy Crocket Explorer Canoes (I think they are only open on the weekend, but I just love paddeling around the river)
Over at California Adventure--Soarin', Grizzly River Run, Tower of Terror, California Screamin', Turtle Talk with Crush (this is very cool)

Shows to see:
Billy Hill & the Hillbillies
50th Exibit at the Opera House

I also love to watch the Dapper Dans (barbershop quartet)perform on Main Street.

Have so much fun. What a great gift for the two of you. If my DH didn't have to go on a 3 week business trip over Valentines, I think I'd suggest your same idea to him.

Thanks Everybody for all of the GREAT replies!!!! I'm sure that they will help a TON!!!!

Julie :goodvibes

:Pinkbounc :flower: :maleficen :jumping1:

I love this thread!! Keep the advise coming,please!! I Want to print this thread to help with my trip planning for May 7 thru 13!!!

weluvdisney said:
Hi;

I'm planning a last minute trip to DL, DH are giving each other for Christmas a trip to DL for just the two of us. We are going 2/10/06-2/15/06, this will be the first kidless trip we have ever taken!!!.

My questions are, what advice can you give me as far as crowds in February, some not to miss attractions and restraunts Etc.

QUOTE]
San Diego City Schools are out on Feb. 13 for President's day - We're going that weekend. We went last year at the same time and it wasn't too bad. This year has been unpredictible, crowd wise, so I'm hoping for the best.

Bumping---------------Anyone Else????????????????????
Thanks for all of the terrific suggestions so far!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :goodvibes

We just got back from a stay at the Crowne Plaza (12/11-12/15/05). I got the room through priceline and was pretty pleased. Our room had two beds and was located on the 2nd floor. The room itself was pretty nice. The full sized beds were a bit small, but were comfy. There is a fridge in the room, but it's full of their sodas and waters for a fee so there isn't room to store the stuff we picked up at Target. There is also an inroom safe, but at an additional $3/day we didn't use it. If you have a car, the self parking area is kind of a hike (the lot is located at the back of the hotel between the Marriott Suites and the Crowne Plaza and there are no entrances to the hotel on that side - you have to walk around the hotel to enter the building). We used the hotel's DL shuttle each day. It was very convenient (it left for or returned from the park every 30 minutes) and since it only served the Crowne Plaza and the Hyatt, it was full. Since you're going the week before the President's Day holiday, you should have minimal crowds. Let me know if you have any other hotel questions...enjoy your trip! DU :cool1:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter