"Look at all these sunny balls!" - WDW/Uni TR Feb 17-26th 2018 (6/18 Wrap-up and DVC review)

Very insightful review and interesting about the transportation at WL. We may be staying at AK Lodge in the next few years; thanks for the insight about Jambo House.

Going a few posts back... Love the addition of the muppets to MK. Plus the song is just fun, catchy and funny... Great moments in history, but just the American parts.

We didn't go this trip - but we completely love Jambo House, and are very happy we bought at AKV. (Technically we "own" at Kidani, but from a booking perspective they are identical.) Like Kidani too, but we wouldn't want to stay there unless getting a SV room - but would always prefer Jambo. Such a beautiful resort!

Yes, they really nailed the "Muppet-ness" of the "Great Moments in History" show. They should hire whoever wrote this show to head-writer the new Disney Streaming service show.

I like your reviews. I think BLT will be up on the top of your list once you do stay there. I didn't try the pool there but I very much enjoyed the rest of the resort.

Great TR as always Pete!

Enjoyed your TR! You put a lot of time and thought into what you write. Interesting how you rank the resorts. I haven't stayed at all of them but even though it has some downsides, WL is my sentimental favorite. We stayed there with our boys when they were young so it brings back happy memories. Next trip I'd love to try the Boardwalk. I'll look for a link to your Aug. trip!

What an awesome way to end your trip. I enjoyed the reviews on the DVC stays. Thanks so much for sharing. We will just miss you next trip...we are going mid-August.

I like your reviews. I think BLT will be up on the top of your list once you do stay there. I didn't try the pool there but I very much enjoyed the rest of the resort.

Great TR as always Pete!

Thank you! I do want to try BLT. Our upcoming trip it would've been in the running except I let DD pick the resorts with her friend, and she picked AKV and BCV. We will get there someday. I already know I probably won't like the theme, but the location is definitely on the top of the list. Would love to get a theme park view for a short stay!

I really enjoyed reading your trip report. Thanks for sharing.

Thank you for joining in!

Enjoyed your TR! You put a lot of time and thought into what you write. Interesting how you rank the resorts. I haven't stayed at all of them but even though it has some downsides, WL is my sentimental favorite. We stayed there with our boys when they were young so it brings back happy memories. Next trip I'd love to try the Boardwalk. I'll look for a link to your Aug. trip!

Thank you very much. It's not like I DISLIKED WL - the resort is absolutely beautiful, and I couldn't imagine a better resort to bring the kids to! (Well, maybe AKV.)

What an awesome way to end your trip. I enjoyed the reviews on the DVC stays. Thanks so much for sharing. We will just miss you next trip...we are going mid-August.

Well, thanks for joining in! Hope you have a great trip! Just a short while away now, right!

I already know I probably won't like the theme, but the location is definitely on the top of the list. Would love to get a theme park view for a short stay!
There isn't much to the theme but yes the location wins over anything. It was so nice to just walk in and out of MK after fireworks or for a break.

Really enjoyed your trip report. I like your honest opinions especially on the dining experiences. Thank you for sharing your disney life with us.

Really enjoyed your trip report. I like your honest opinions especially on the dining experiences. Thank you for sharing your disney life with us.

Thank you very much! I try to be honest. Not every meal is wonderful in my view. Disney prices are expensive and the standards should be high.

Great ending to your report, looks like you guys had a great trip. Also, really enjoyed your evaluations of the DVC resorts, it was very helpful!

I like your ranking system! It's very scientific and I think it gives you a good idea of the merits of each resort. I may even do one of my own just for jollies. I've stayed at every WDW resort but Copper Creek. And that one may be on our list soon now, but as you know, I really want to stay in a cabin!

I would use different categories, like you said, it's very subjective and different people value different amenities. Location, theme, and rooms, I would keep. Pools don't matter to me. I have a huge one in my backyard and I don't utilize it nearly enough, I use the pools at the resorts less than half the time when I'm there. Amenities is something I would split into Tub (in the room), dining options, and spa services.

You'll have to see how my results differ! One thing about your stats is that your family is almost always in a studio, where as we are almost always in a one bedroom. You've rated the Poly on top, but I suspect that it may be lower on the list for me because they don't have a one bedroom, so the Studio ranks lower because of the tub. The bungalows rate very high, but perhaps I should put a column for affordability as well.
I really liked our stays at SSR, for me proximity to DS and the dining options was great. No it doesn't have the best theme, but it has the secondary style of jacuzzi tubs which are nice and big and I can be fully submersed. And they have an excellent on site spa!
I prefer Kidani over Jambo house because of the two bathrooms in the 1 br, and Sanaa is my favorite restaurant at AKL. I'm not a fan of the Mara, Fran doesn't like Jiko, and neither of us eat enough to make Boma worth it. So it's great that there are different choices for different folks!
And IMHO OKW has the BEST tubs ever! I can't wait to stay there again for that alone!

Great trip you had and I'm sorry we'll be missing each other this summer.

I like your ranking system! It's very scientific and I think it gives you a good idea of the merits of each resort. I may even do one of my own just for jollies. I've stayed at every WDW resort but Copper Creek. And that one may be on our list soon now, but as you know, I really want to stay in a cabin!

I would use different categories, like you said, it's very subjective and different people value different amenities. Location, theme, and rooms, I would keep. Pools don't matter to me. I have a huge one in my backyard and I don't utilize it nearly enough, I use the pools at the resorts less than half the time when I'm there. Amenities is something I would split into Tub (in the room), dining options, and spa services.

You'll have to see how my results differ! One thing about your stats is that your family is almost always in a studio, where as we are almost always in a one bedroom. You've rated the Poly on top, but I suspect that it may be lower on the list for me because they don't have a one bedroom, so the Studio ranks lower because of the tub. The bungalows rate very high, but perhaps I should put a column for affordability as well.
I really liked our stays at SSR, for me proximity to DS and the dining options was great. No it doesn't have the best theme, but it has the secondary style of jacuzzi tubs which are nice and big and I can be fully submersed. And they have an excellent on site spa!
I prefer Kidani over Jambo house because of the two bathrooms in the 1 br, and Sanaa is my favorite restaurant at AKL. I'm not a fan of the Mara, Fran doesn't like Jiko, and neither of us eat enough to make Boma worth it. So it's great that there are different choices for different folks!
And IMHO OKW has the BEST tubs ever! I can't wait to stay there again for that alone!

Great trip you had and I'm sorry we'll be missing each other this summer.

This is completely true! Everyone would have different opinions of what is important to them. I know there's plenty of people that love SSR, but we don't find DS all that interesting since they closed PI. I know there are good restaurants, but we feel we get enough to eat at the parks that we don't need to add a trip to DS to eat. With the Edison we may find we start going again, but I am not sure even that is enough of a draw for us.

The one thing I would say is that you really have to rate rooms on "apples to apples" basis. As you say - you can't really rate the Poly based on the bungalows vs 1-bedrooms at the other resorts. Of course the bungalows are going to win, but they are about 5 times as many points. Now since there aren't 1-bedrooms at the Poly, I would say that comparing that Poly studio to the one bedrooms is probably the best you can do, but yeah it pretty much can't win in that comparison.

Another great TR! Thanks for sharing, especially your thoughts on the comparisons between DVC resorts. As you can imagine, we have been discussing that a lot around here as we wait to hear back about our contract.

Looking forward to the next TR! We will be at Universal sandwiched right between your August & October trips.

Another great TR! Thanks for sharing, especially your thoughts on the comparisons between DVC resorts. As you can imagine, we have been discussing that a lot around here as we wait to hear back about our contract.

Looking forward to the next TR! We will be at Universal sandwiched right between your August & October trips.

Thanks for joining in. I think we have a complete inability to be in Orlando at the same time. Next time I have to head down to Baton Rouge though I am going to find a way to meet you and Dustin.

I enjoyed reading your TR! I like your writing style and love seeing all the pictures. The ranking of the DVC properties was great! We currently live in California but are moving to Florida soon, only two and a half hours from Orlando. We frequently visit DL and the Grand Californian is our absolute favorite resort. We can't bring ourselves to stay anywhere else. We love the location and how convenient it is to access DCA. In the warmer months we like to take breaks midday and spend a few hours at the pool, we like being able to order food and drinks right from our lounge chairs. :)

I enjoyed reading your TR! I like your writing style and love seeing all the pictures. The ranking of the DVC properties was great! We currently live in California but are moving to Florida soon, only two and a half hours from Orlando. We frequently visit DL and the Grand Californian is our absolute favorite resort. We can't bring ourselves to stay anywhere else. We love the location and how convenient it is to access DCA. In the warmer months we like to take breaks midday and spend a few hours at the pool, we like being able to order food and drinks right from our lounge chairs. :)

VGC is soooo nice. We stayed at the hotel once (with ABD) and then on points in 2016. We are going back next year for D23 and will spend several days at DLR before we go. I have little hope that we will be able to get into a studio there for the days we want - but would LOVE to stay there again since it is so convenient. But honestly for the cash price I would likely save my money. We stayed on Harbor Boulevard as well, and the difference in terms of convenience is like the difference between staying at the Contemporary and staying at the Poly. (And yes the resort isn't nearly as nice.)

VGC is soooo nice. We stayed at the hotel once (with ABD) and then on points in 2016. We are going back next year for D23 and will spend several days at DLR before we go. I have little hope that we will be able to get into a studio there for the days we want - but would LOVE to stay there again since it is so convenient. But honestly for the cash price I would likely save my money. We stayed on Harbor Boulevard as well, and the difference in terms of convenience is like the difference between staying at the Contemporary and staying at the Poly. (And yes the resort isn't nearly as nice.)

That's great you get to go back to DL next year! I know we will miss DL, but we are so excited for many trips to WDW. We had to limit our visits over the last few years because staying at the Grand is so expensive, but luckily we get the military discount which makes it more affordable for us. For years, when we were younger, we used to stay at either HoJo's or Marriott on Harbor Boulevard, but I prefer fewer visits and staying onsite over more visits and staying on Harbor Boulevard. Lol

We visited WDW for the first time last October and stayed with my friend one of her timeshares. I didn't mind being offsite because the place we stayed was amazing! We had a rental car so we were able to drive to all the parks and when we were ready to leave and go to another park it was super convenient and we didn't have to wait on buses, monorail, etc.

We are doing a quick trip right after we move to FL and staying at a Fairfield Inn & Suites in August. Since it is a quick trip I decided to spend less on lodging plus they have a free breakfast. In October we have five nights planned at the Pop Century Resort and November we have three nights at Shades of Green. We are also planning a trip the beginning of December, I am hoping to stay onsite as well just not sure where yet.

That's great you get to go back to DL next year! I know we will miss DL, but we are so excited for many trips to WDW. We had to limit our visits over the last few years because staying at the Grand is so expensive, but luckily we get the military discount which makes it more affordable for us. For years, when we were younger, we used to stay at either HoJo's or Marriott on Harbor Boulevard, but I prefer fewer visits and staying onsite over more visits and staying on Harbor Boulevard. Lol

We visited WDW for the first time last October and stayed with my friend one of her timeshares. I didn't mind being offsite because the place we stayed was amazing! We had a rental car so we were able to drive to all the parks and when we were ready to leave and go to another park it was super convenient and we didn't have to wait on buses, monorail, etc.

We are doing a quick trip right after we move to FL and staying at a Fairfield Inn & Suites in August. Since it is a quick trip I decided to spend less on lodging plus they have a free breakfast. In October we have five nights planned at the Pop Century Resort and November we have three nights at Shades of Green. We are also planning a trip the beginning of December, I am hoping to stay onsite as well just not sure where yet.

I find at WDW the difference between off-site and on-site is MUCH bigger - though some of that may be affected by your tolerance for the bus system. I take the bus system at WDW as part of the experience. Of course, if you are local you will likely have a car (which they now will charge you to park with).

I find at WDW the difference between off-site and on-site is MUCH bigger - though some of that may be affected by your tolerance for the bus system. I take the bus system at WDW as part of the experience. Of course, if you are local you will likely have a car (which they now will charge you to park with).

I vaguely remember seeing an article about the resorts now charging to park. I was surprised that they haven't always charged. We have always paid for parking at GC.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter