Long weekend trip for Food and Wine

Sandisw

DVC Forums
My DD and I took a 3 night trip October 22nd to October 25th for the sole purpose to keep our annual F & W trip in play in a year or so many canceled trips, and stress from her job..she works as a secretary at a college.

We flew in and landed at MCO around 1:15 pm and the crowds were very low...lower than I have ever seen. They have adjusted the lines for when people are flying out in such a way that social distancing was clear. We are TSA per check and knew it wouldn’t apply when we left but good to see,

Didnt see anyone without a mask! Got our luggage and headed off to DME. Smooth sailing and only about 5 groups in front of us when we got to check in. Honestly, being in one line and people being called in order to scan band seemed smoother.

However, we were disappointed in the length of time to get on a bus, We had 2 groups in front of us when we got in line at 1:45 pm for BCV, We watched buses for other, busier resorts, get buses...one line loaded 3 times..before ours came at 2:40. 55 minutes to just get the bus, I had to cancel lunch in Epcot and it cost me $20 because never thought we wouldn’t make a 3:50 time, I suggest anyone going, give yourself 3 hours between landing and being at the resort/park just to be sure,

Loading was great..told you were to sit...from the back...every other row. Left right at 3:00 pm

Online check in and we got the text our room was ready just as we boarded the bus. BCV was 2nd stop so we were in the room by 3:30. They had CMs outside in case someone needed help...

Our trip only consisted of visiting Epcot, and used gateway each day, Here are a few things:

1. Temp check easy and they keep the line flowing. We decided to enter the park a few minutes after open each day and by doing that, we encountered no lines. So, it was worth waiting until about 11:05 to arrive

2. The new security walk through is amazing. Kept people moving and again, because we waited those extra minutes to arrive, we had no wait to get in, That was so nice not being near crowds,

3. If you want to shop at the AP store, do it first thing as by mid afternoon there was a long line. It was not open weekends....which we didn’t know...and we were happy to have gone Friday...great deals to be had!

4. Other than a few people who had noses out, 99% of people were complying. We saw at least 5 CMS as we walked around with the sign to wear correctly, or you’d be asked to leave,

5. We carried in wipes, hand sanitizer, our own plastic forks, and straws, as well as our own drink mugs with lids to make it easier to walk around. Lots of hand washing stations and sanitizer though. The straws and our own mugs were the best part because we didn’t have to just stop and drink our entire drink. When we wanted a sip, we stopped, took a sip without needing to remove mask, and kept going,

6. Lines at food booths went quick and the longest was no more than 10 minutes. Tables were spaced, and even though the walkways were sort of crowded, there was space to walk around and be spaced safely. We didn’t do rides.

7. Did use the quiet pool at BCV and not very many people. Did not do SAB but walked by and from what I saw, looked like everyone following guidelines.

8. Took Skyliner to RIV a few times mid day and never a wait. Had drinks and dinner at Primo. Food so much better than BCV. Mobile order was great. Did it from the room, and chose an arrival time. Once we were on the Skyliner,the window opened, completed Order, and by the time we arrived, it was ready,

All and all, I felt safer there than at my local grocery and department stores where mask compliance isn’t always what it should be! The best tip I can give is that arriving a few minutes after opening made a world of difference in feeling safe as we entered.

I can’t wait to go back in 5 weeks for my solo trip to BLT and RIV! Providing numbers don’t creep to high, Plan then is to visit MK, use the monorail, and back to Epcot.

Thanks for the trip report, sounds like you had a very nice trip except for the very beginning with ME. It doesn't seem right that you had to pay the cancellation fee of $20 because you had to wait almost an hour for the bus to your resort but I guess that’s how it works. So far we have never had to pay the fine and I hope I never do because I’m pretty sure I wouldn’t be very happy about it especially if it was due to something done by Disney… :sad2:

I’m very much looking forward to our trip in January. I hope the numbers don’t continue to rise and that we don’t have another shutdown. That would be very sad indeed. :( Soooo I'm going to think ONLY positive thoughts. pixiedust:

So glad to hear you and your daughter had a nice time - really enjoyed reading this today. 50 days until we leave for Riviera and Beach Club and I'm nervous we just won't be able to go if all these nuts don't do what they are supposed to (everywhere not just WDW!) Good tips all around so thanks and happy planning for the next trip :)

Nice to hear that you had a good time. Did you call to cancel your reservation or just do it on the app? I have only cancelled once the same day and it was because my husband wasn't feeling well but I called to cancel it and they did not charge us. My husband and I are headed to Riviera in 14 days and I can't wait to stay there.

Thanks for the trip report, sounds like you had a very nice trip except for the very beginning with ME. It doesn't seem right that you had to pay the cancellation fee of $20 because you had to wait almost an hour for the bus to your resort but I guess that’s how it works. So far we have never had to pay the fine and I hope I never do because I’m pretty sure I wouldn’t be very happy about it especially if it was due to something done by Disney… :sad2:

I’m very much looking forward to our trip in January. I hope the numbers don’t continue to rise and that we don’t have another shutdown. That would be very sad indeed. :( Soooo I'm going to think ONLY positive thoughts. pixiedust:

I probably could have gone to the front desk and fought it, but honestly, just didn’t want to be bothered and wasn’t sure if it would actually be billed...found out when I got home.

Im chalking it up to rookie mistake for booking dining arrival day! In the end, I saved a lot more than that with my AP shopping! Hahaha

Nice to hear that you had a good time. Did you call to cancel your reservation or just do it on the app? I have only cancelled once the same day and it was because my husband wasn't feeling well but I called to cancel it and they did not charge us. My husband and I are headed to Riviera in 14 days and I can't wait to stay there.

I called but the wait to speak to someone was over 30 minutes so I did the automated cancel via phone. Again, I probably could have fought, but I didn’t.

When we arrived on Oct 12th to the MDE at MCO we were told that it was up to a 45 min wait - we were the first in our line for BLT and it we probably waited 20 min to get on our bus - there was only 1 lady checking folks in and directing them to their buses (after the initial check-in) and she would check-in 1 party from each row and then start back at the beginning of the lines..our bus was already there and we could see folks already sitting on it but I'm not sure how long they had already been waiting for others to join them since when we got into the BLT there was no one else there. Once we got on the bus they loaded about 3 more families on the bus and then we were on our way.

We did NOT have the videos playing on the bus tv either to/from the resorts....bummer

We head back in 5 weeks for CCV! Can't wait!

Straws and mugs...I hadn't thought about carrying my own around for drinks that don't have lids/straws. Thanks!

Straws and mugs...I hadn't thought about carrying my own around for drinks that don't have lids/straws. Thanks!

And of course, when it is your own mug, there is no one stopping you on the way out.

AP store? I did a search...good for you! It will be closed before we go.

But, I don’t understand about your own mugs and straws. If you buy a drink in Epcot you would have to drink it all, but if you put it in your own container you can carry? Also, drink without taking mask off? Yet you are lifting mask up. That is allowed?

Last edited:
But, I don’t understand about your own mugs and straws. If you buy a drink in Epcot you would have to drink it all, but if you put it in your own container you can carry? Also, drink without taking mask off? Yet you are lifting mask up. That is allowed?
I have mask with plug for straws . Could I drink with that?

Sounds like a fantastic trip!! I was at BCV just a few days after you & love hearing how your trip went! Our DME experience was super similar to yours 🤦🏻‍♀️ but after that, it was smooth sailing!!

I loved, Loved, LOVED the walk from BCV to EP’s IG. Amazing!! Security was always super speedy too.

I had heard about the AP store, and the only day we could shop there was our first day (our other EP park pass was for the weekend)... so, we jumped in line early in the evening & it really kept moving pretty quickly. I had planned beforehand to buy any jacket or sweatshirt they might be selling from Norway (since my absolute fav winter coat is from there)- and scored an awesome white rain jacket! Super fun start to the trip 😍

I totally agree about mask compliance. Visitors & cast were doing a great job! I never thought about a straw. Very clever! I’ll definitely look into that for my next trip (just 4 more weeks!!!!).

We used the quiet pool and SAB, and really enjoyed them both! This was our first time at BCV and my boys were amazed with SAB!!!! I could’ve stayed in that lazy river all day 😆

Our stay was actually a split stay, BCV & RIV. My sister stayed on crescent lake the whole time and the Skyliner ride between us was just fabulous! My boys were pretty excited for the “better” room, but pretty underwhelmed with the pool... but anything after SAB was going to be a downgrade & they knew it 😉

We’ll be at BLT for our next stay as well... you can’t beat walking to Main Street USA at Christmastime 🥰🤩

I can’t wait to go back in 5 weeks for my solo trip to BLT and RIV! Plan then is to visit MK, use the monorail, and back to Epcot.

Didn't know if you knew but there is currently no monorail from Epcot to TTC? You would have to take the bus... Unless that changes for January?

Didn't know if you knew but there is currently no monorail from Epcot to TTC? You would have to take the bus... Unless that changes for January?

Yes, I know that, I will only do MK when at BLT and then hit Epcot I move over to RIV for the last 2 nights.

When we go in January, we will Uber to Epcot vs taking the bus.

We have had such long waits when taking DME that we don’t use the service anymore. This was all pre-COVID, but it sounds like it’s still the same. For my next 2 trips, I’m renting a car. We didn’t rent a car this last trip a couple of weeks ago, and I regret that. I do not like the bus system and never have. The Skyliner was awesome while we were there. We stayed at RIV this last trip. The buses on the other hand...oh the buses...

We did use Lyft to go to/from the airport and to get to HS. I didn’t rent a car because they were super expensive when I checked. We rescheduled an October trip to November in August, and the prices stayed too high for a car rental. Anyway, I more just wanted to say you’re not alone in your DME experience. I don’t think I’ve ever gotten on a bus and actually left in less than 30 minutes from when I got into the divided line for my resort. This happened when we were staying at BWV, VGF, and BLT on separate occasions.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter