Long Term Effect of Trading Restrictions ?

That Tower studio looks awful! A sofa bed in a studio for 2 crammed into a corner room. At first, I thought that the couples studio might be something we would be interested in but there is no way that I would want to be sleeping on a sofa bed.

But it appears that the regular studios are going to have a split bath, which is nice. And they're going to sleep up to 5 people, which should make some families happy. Of course, this encourages more people to purchase fewer points since they can fit a larger family in a smaller space.

B5679ABE-5C2A-4DBE-B2C8-7A0DBDDFB079.png
It's on the rate calendar for value season. If you click on Rate Details then View Rate Calendar it will show what rack rates were for all of 2019.
I was just looking at the main Riviera page online and saw this so I guess at some point they must plan to have the Tower Studios priced lower like that Facebook post showed. Otherwise they’d never have an average below $400 (before tax). Again that really surprises me but perhaps these tower studios are REALLY tiny. No kitchenette only 1 pull down bed and it appears only a shower (from the DVC site with the room drawings). Sounds like these rooms could be smaller than the value resort rooms are.

View attachment 377491
I was just looking at the main Riviera page online and saw this so I guess at some point they must plan to have the Tower Studios priced lower like that Facebook post showed. Otherwise they’d never have an average below $400 (before tax). Again that really surprises me but perhaps these tower studios are REALLY tiny. No kitchenette only 1 pull down bed and it appears only a shower (from the DVC site with the room drawings). Sounds like these rooms could be smaller than the value resort rooms are.
On the dvc site it does list kitchenette as an amenity for the 2 person studio.

87137E1B-9E5E-451B-B609-19E973E52CAD.jpeg

On the dvc site it does list kitchenette as an amenity for the 2 person studio.
It doesn't show on the floor plan. I wonder if someone just c/p'd a CCV studio description for the walkin shower units.

It doesn't show on the floor plan. I wonder if someone just c/p'd a CCV studio description for the walkin shower units.
NEW! Tower Studios
Specially designed for 2 Guests, these one-of-a-kind Tower Studios are a marvel of efficiency and luxury—and are unique to Disney's Riviera Resort. Built into the wall, you'll find a kitchenette, drawers and a cleverly hidden pull-down queen-size bed that just as easily tucks away to reveal a comfortable lounge-worthy space.

NEW! Tower Studios
Specially designed for 2 Guests, these one-of-a-kind Tower Studios are a marvel of efficiency and luxury—and are unique to Disney's Riviera Resort. Built into the wall, you'll find a kitchenette, drawers and a cleverly hidden pull-down queen-size bed that just as easily tucks away to reveal a comfortable lounge-worthy space.

Has the square footage or room dimensions been released for this ‘marvel’? Especially interested to see the bathroom layout.

Did a girls’ trip to Pop when it was in midst of rehab. Was put in renovated room with a Murphy bed. My DiL, who lifts free-weights, struggled mightedly to pull that thing down. We managed to move the next day, just not a fan of the room design overall, especially the bathroom & semi transparent glass door.

I too would like to see photos of the bathroom and know if there is a closet. Also, would there be a bedside table for a CPAP.

NEW! Tower Studios
Well, there you go! Odd that it's not in the floor plan. Now, I want to see a picture of how it fits into that cabinet next to the sofa/bed.

Many DIS posters seem to assume the booking process will remain the same for the L14 owners to book Riviera and future resorts as It is to book between the L14. I do not share that assumption. IMO, everything is going to be different for the new resorts.

I believe that 7 month trading between the L14 resorts will remain about the same as it is now.

That's because I think exchanges between the L14 and Riviera (and future DVC resorts) will be accomplished via something like the Disney Collection. That will allow Disney better control over availability, because as others have pointed out, there needs to be balance between those trading out and those trading in. Also, the point charts can reflect different values for L14 points than for points from the new resorts. Perhaps the points of a new DVC resort will be worth more in trade than the points of the L14 resorts. Perhaps the charts will change annually as the charts for the Collections already do. There are many possibilities.

It's fun to speculate and interesting to read the various opinions. I'm looking forward to seeing the official offering statements and the resulting discussion.

I think the booking will be exactly the same. Now Riviera is even listed in with all the other DVC resorts when looking at destinations rather than in any sort of Collection.

Looks like cash reservations begin Dec. 16th. You couldn't get much later and still call it a fall opening.

That Tower studio looks awful! A sofa bed in a studio for 2 crammed into a corner room. At first, I thought that the couples studio might be something we would be interested in but there is no way that I would want to be sleeping on a sofa bed.

But it appears that the regular studios are going to have a split bath, which is nice. And they're going to sleep up to 5 people, which should make some families happy. Of course, this encourages more people to purchase fewer points since they can fit a larger family in a smaller space.
I agree. Honestly it looks like they had a little leftover space in the corners of all the floors and rather than make the corner units larger (like BWV and WL are from my understanding) they said let’s cram in extra studios and sell more points!!! I also think it is a marketing ploy to sell to guests who are single or couples without children. Assuming the point cost is reasonably low they may even appeal to those that like the idea of DVC but don’t want/can’t afford the buyin in that the 5 person studio will require. If the cost of Pop goes up significantly like people are speculating it will with having a Skyliner station, tower studios might not be that much more expensive to budget minded couples/singles who’d like a deluxe resort closer to Pop’s prices. Personally I think the 2020 point reallocation has a lot to do with Riviera opening end of 2019. They probably want to price Tower Studios as an attractive low cost option and the deluxe studios higher. In order to not seem crazy high they needed to up to the studio prices across the board at Disney.

So what does everyone think the long term effect on being able to book non-home resorts will be as more and more resale owners can't trade out of their home resort or classic14 resorts?
I think the trading restriction is a smoke screen leading to changes to the DVC<>RCI relationship. I've outlined my thoughts in another thread: Link

I don't think it is a sofa bed but a murphy bed that opens out over the sofa. Thus, a true mattress.

So agree with you!! Those Tower studios look small! I know most will love them. I’m not a fan of the decor. Where is the Disney theming?

People actively seek/plan/scheme to book the Jambo House value studios for one reason: saves a few points over regular studios. Tower studios will be just as desirable to the folks looking to conserve points. For those who feel these rooms are too small, deluxe studios will still be available so everyone should be able to find something they'll be happy with. I don't really see tower studios having any booking problems at all.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!