Long Term Campers....Should it be allowed?

We left today after a 9 day stay.

My neighbor has been there since January and is staying another month!

I would love to be able to do that and would if I could.

$198 x 30 days = $5940 per month!

Who can do that?

We left today after a 9 day stay.

My neighbor has been there since January and is staying another month!

I would love to be able to do that and would if I could.

$198 x 30 days = $5940 per month!

Who can do that?

That's why people camp/RV how much would a 2 week hotel/motel/resturants every night vacation cost with gas?

I would LOVE to stay a month at the Fort. That and a WDW AP would be my idea of Heaven.

The 'argument' about long term stays 'not being fair' reminds me of the bickering out here about local Disneyland AP holders 'cluttering up' DL because they 'go too much' and 'spoil it' for tourists. But Disney sets the rules and if it's OK by them, then there's nothing wrong with staying long term (or going to DL 5 days a week). For the record: I'm NOT a DL pass holder.

As far as booking windows in State/National Parks......just try getting a reservation at Yosemite during the summer! To paraphrase a movie line; "You'd as like have angels fly out of your (redacted) as get week in July'. But since Yosemite in July is about as crowded as Disneyland, we'll stick to the off-off-season.

Renting an RV (our original/current plan was to drive down from IL) and camping in FW was very high in my list of desired Disney plans for this year. Now long term residence is very high in my desired retirement plans. My husband will be thrilled :rolleyes1

Am amazed at so many wanting to spend weeks/months/longer at FW/Disney! Dh & I love it and have been camping at FW since year after opening in '71, but the longest we have stayed is two weeks. Our favorite length of stay is 10 days, then we are both ready for our normal day to day lives and round about. We have so much we enjoy doing together.

It's true, we're all different, and that's the way it should be - just didn't realize that so many would like to be 'long' timers. :goodvibes

Am amazed at so many wanting to spend weeks/months/longer at FW/Disney! Dh & I love it and have been camping at FW since year after opening in '71, but the longest we have stayed is two weeks.

I'm with you. After about 5 or 6 days I'm ready for some new scenery. Now we do go on 3 week camping trips in the Carolinas but we move around after 3~5 days.

Am amazed at so many wanting to spend weeks/months/longer at FW/Disney! Dh & I love it and have been camping at FW since year after opening in '71, but the longest we have stayed is two weeks. Our favorite length of stay is 10 days, then we are both ready for our normal day to day lives and round about. We have so much we enjoy doing together.

It's true, we're all different, and that's the way it should be - just didn't realize that so many would like to be 'long' timers. :goodvibes

no doubt after 2 weeks at the Fort i might change my mind, but i will have to get confirmation of that!

no doubt after 2 weeks at the Fort i might change my mind, but i will have to get confirmation of that!

I agree, that's why I said we're all different, and it's obvious there are those already staying there that must enjoy long term. It's just not for us. :)

I agree, that's why I said we're all different, and it's obvious there are those already staying there that must enjoy long term. It's just not for us. :)
We come for at least a month in the spring and another month in the late fall. We are from Arizona and it is 2300 miles one way. Does not pay to drive 7 days for less time. So many friends come and go while we are at the fort. All have been coming for years. Rocking chair coffee group every morning is the perfect start of any day. Old f##ts and solving the worlds problems. 3 more weeks and the long drive west. Will dream of returning in Oct.

I am not likely to ever stay at Fort Wilderness since I live in Western Canada (unless Ifly down with my tent and sleeping bag!) but I am serious about a few things. Does it really cost $198 per night? I have camped all my life, but fr that money, I could stay at Pop. If you stay a month, how often do you visit the parks? Certainly not every day? Are the camping sites really deluxe? I haven’t camped for a few years but I think our provincial parks would cost about $50 per night.

I think ot depends on the time of year ,and how close to the date your going( supply and demand). I got a tent sight last year , for 12 nights and 6 day passes for 3 people , it was about 2100$ in or around there. For me thats cheap. I never have been to the fort ,trip is in october, but it has a cult following. For comparison, full hook up sites in lake geoerge at a resort type place are around 120 a night. Other stuff in nj , around 80-100 a night, these are resort type places. They have activites for the kids etc. Im sure disney stuff is top notch. So better.

Does it really cost $198 per night?
It can cost that much during one of the prime times. I just put dates in for the middle of August. Here are the rates.

upload_2019-5-9_21-24-7.png

$102/night seems high, but cheaper than a Value resort AND you have a place to cook your own meals. Maybe not as much a 'perk' if you are tent camping, but a big cost saver if you have an RV.

I checked rates for the end of July (busy "Summer" season) and the same Premium site going for $102 in mid-August, is $137. So still not $198.

Besides, the Fort has a nice, laid back atmosphere that is hard to find at one of the resorts.

j

It can cost that much during one of the prime times. I just put dates in for the middle of August. Here are the rates.

View attachment 399776

$102/night seems high, but cheaper than a Value resort AND you have a place to cook your own meals. Maybe not as much a 'perk' if you are tent camping, but a big cost saver if you have an RV.

I checked rates for the end of July (busy "Summer" season) and the same Premium site going for $102 in mid-August, is $137. So still not $198.

Besides, the Fort has a nice, laid back atmosphere that is hard to find at one of the resorts.

j
Everything depends on where you are in life. My DW and I worked hard in a police dept. for over 30 years each. No kids and only 4 footed other family members. We travel in our motor home when not at home in Arizona. Being 70 only held home by health. We love the Disney friends we make each trip. Fortunately we can travel still and will pay the going rate as long as I can drive the beast and they don't close the Fort.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter