Long car drive with 1 year old???

indymom1

Mouseketeer
We are going to WDW in June for 10days/9nights. We are travelling with DS almost 7 and DS who just turned 1. We are used to long drives with our older child but he pretty much can amuse himself now with Gameboys and books to read etc. Where I am really worried is what can I do in the car or what activities can I bring that will make that long drive more enjoyable with a 1 year old in the car?? Any thoughts or suggestions from those that have done a long drive with little ones before would be great.
Thanks in advance:)

A couple suggestions that might help. If he is big enough to do so, go a head and move him to a front facing car seat. I think the rule is 20 lbs and 1 year old. The new idea of seeing where he is going might help a bit. Also if seating will allow, having an adult sit beside him for a time, will help too. Even having the 7yr old to hand him toys etc. will be a bonus. As far as things to keep him busy, snack foods are great. Fun shaped crackers, ceral, toddler fruit chews, are all good choices. A few toddler books, especaily the ones that make noice should keep his attention for a while. Timming the trip to encourage sleep in the car is always a good idea. Take his blanket, bottle if he still takes it and hope for sleep. Some babies this age will watch a animated movie if you have a CD player in your car or van. Good luck and happy travels.

jordan's mom

Having made a couple of long trips with DD when she was 1, I can say that traveling during their sleep time is the best thing. Also, make frequent stops at rest areas and such just to let them exercise for a few minutes. Usually at one they are somewhere in the wlking stage and they have a new freedom that they enjoy so confining them to a seat for hours makes them upset. So just allow extra time for these things because taking a little longer and being happy is way better than making good time and feeling miserable.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter