Lockers/Bag Free question

curlymom

Earning My Ears
We normally go bag-free at Disney, this is my first time at universal and the info on lockers/bags is confusing to me. If I get a 3 prong fanny pack to hold my cell phone, do I still have to check it into a locker at every ride that has them? It sounds like you have to use the lockers at Hulk even with fanny packs, where else? Are you allowed sunglasses/hats? I'm trying to decide if it's worth it to buy a fanny pack before we go, the locker system with social distancing seems to be a stress point.

If I get a 3 prong fanny pack to hold my cell phone, do I still have to check it into a locker at every ride that has them? It sounds like you have to use the lockers at Hulk even with fanny packs, where else? Are you allowed sunglasses/hats?
The locker system is much easier than it sounds. Three prong fanny packs are permitted on all locker rides except for the Hulk and Rip Ride Rockit, which are the two most intense rides in the parks. For Hulk and Rip Ride Rockit, you will be required to put anything that is on your person in a locker except for a lanyard holding your ticket/express pass and glasses. So any fanny packs, wallets, phones, hats. I would suggest sunglasses too unless they are prescription. You will go through a metal detector when entering the queue for these rides and the ride attendant will give you the once over to confirm there's nothing on you or in your pockets. If they see or find something, they'll send you to the locker bank.

Aside from these two rides, three prong fanny packs will work fine for the rest. They say its up to employee discretion and must not interfere with restraints, but I've never had this be a probelm. I *think* there are nets on most of the ride vehicles where you could stow a hat or sunglasses, but otherwise I'd suggest putting them in a pocket or in/on the fanny pack. But, the lockers are very easy and quick to use so don't be afraid to use them. Most of them open by scanning your ticket now, which is much more efficient than it used to be.

One thing to note - most of the lockers use your park pass to access them (possibly all of them now - I think they were working on converting them all), so you have to keep the ticket with you. If you don't have a lanyard, make sure you wear something with a pocket somewhere so you can put your ticket there. I had once where I was at the park in a dress with no pockets and my only options on Hulk were to ride with my ticket just held in my hand (risky) or else shoved into my shoe (gross).

Yeah, I've seen people say the lockers are no big deal, but it appeared from the vlogger world yesterday that they were causing a log jam of people. Thanks for the info, that's what I needed clarified !

it appeared from the vlogger world yesterday that they were causing a log jam of people.
That can happen during busy times. There's maybe 1 screen for every 30 or 40 lockers, and each person needs to wait at the screen that corresponds to their locker. So while it does cause a log jam at times, the process of scanning the ticket to pop open the locker takes seconds. I've never had it take more than 5 minutes on either end of the ride.

You really need a locker for a wallet? I've never been and will be going in a couple of weeks. Want to be sure I'm prepared!

You really need a locker for a wallet? I've never been and will be going in a couple of weeks. Want to be sure I'm prepared!
As PP mentions, its only needed for Hulk and Rip Ride Rockit where you can't have anything on your person. The lockers are free while you're on the ride and located right next to the ride. You will use your park ticket to open the locker. Its not a big deal at all.

That can happen during busy times. There's maybe 1 screen for every 30 or 40 lockers, and each person needs to wait at the screen that corresponds to their locker. So while it does cause a log jam at times, the process of scanning the ticket to pop open the locker takes seconds. I've never had it take more than 5 minutes on either end of the ride.
True, but with the new social distancing guidelines, they are only letting X number of people in there at a time, hence the previously mentioned logjam. If I were to go in the next few weeks, I would DEFINITELY do fanny packs only.

Also, the lockers are very slim, my regular backpack was a struggle to fit, and sharing wasn't an option, we needed 3 for the 5 of us. 2 small Loungefly backpacks and a Hydroflask was a very tight fit. There are bigger ones, but not for free.

True, but with the new social distancing guidelines, they are only letting X number of people in there at a time, hence the previously mentioned logjam. If I were to go in the next few weeks, I would DEFINITELY do fanny packs only.
Right. I should have qualified my post to say "in normal times". Nothing will be normal for the next few months while the social distancing is still being enforced.

Also, the lockers are very slim, my regular backpack was a struggle to fit, and sharing wasn't an option, we needed 3 for the 5 of us. 2 small Loungefly backpacks and a Hydroflask was a very tight fit. There are bigger ones, but not for free.
This is a good reminder. I can fit my crossbody purse fine, but anything larger than that or a drawstring backpack would not fit. Also the reusable Coke cups won't fit either, so no storing a drink in the locker.

I think the cups fit laying down. Might have to remove the lid. Definitely can’t store it with liquid in it. Popcorn buckets fit without the lid and slightly squished down, I’ve read. Still can’t believe how tiny they are and the orientation.

One more stupid bag question! If we're not intending on riding the bigger 2 rides that require everything be locked up, what size bag can I carry just around the park and ride the majority of the other rides? Just a fanny pack? Small cross body/backpack? I really want to avoid the lockers for now.

Hopefully we'll go again in "normal times" but for sure we are going this weekend coming up, so not normal. My husband is all for little things that skip annoyances, so he'll be a fanny pack fan. Never did I think I'd wear one of those again.

One more stupid bag question! If we're not intending on riding the bigger 2 rides that require everything be locked up, what size bag can I carry just around the park and ride the majority of the other rides? Just a fanny pack? Small cross body/backpack? I really want to avoid the lockers for now.
If you will not be riding Hulk or Rip Ride Rockit, then you can wear any bag that has a three prong clasp to avoid the lockers at the other rides. I believe the clasp is the make or break rather than the size. Other than fanny packs, I'm not sure what other bags have that type of clasp, but it would have to fasten to your person with a three prong clasp and be small enough where it would not interfere with ride safety belts/harnesses. Employees still reserve the right to send you to the locker if they feel the bag impedes your safety harness.

Hopefully we'll go again in "normal times" but for sure we are going this weekend coming up, so not normal. My husband is all for little things that skip annoyances, so he'll be a fanny pack fan. Never did I think I'd wear one of those again.
I just dug through the back of my closet to retrieve mine after reading this! My son and grandson may be mortified, but hey, I'm the one paying so they can deal!

I’ve never heard of a three prongs fanny pack. I’ve tried googling it and basically came up with everyone on the disboards asking about it. What is it?
lol

It's just a fanny pack with a regular three pronged clip (vs any other kind of clip). Similar to what is used in car seats, and it's about all I've ever seen on a fanny pack. But a backpack or a purse wouldn't have any kind of clip to fasten it around your body, just a strap. If you search three prong fanny pack on Amazon, a bunch will come up.

I vote we start calling them waist bags. Who wears them on their fanny?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter