Living With the Land - Am I missing something?

I think it’s one you can skip and not feel like you missed out. Nobody comes home from a Disney trip talking about living with the land. Though I do think it’s interesting while relaxing, and my kids all surprisingly like it.

We never come home talking about Test track for instance because it would be: "Hey, we got in a car with seats for 6 then we went thru some stuff inside the building and then we went outside and went really fast and then it was done". Living with the Land? "Hey, remember those giant squash and the one shaped like a Mickey head? How can we do that? And can we make a hydroponics system like they had? And can we......"

Not into gardening or horticulture, but this is a ride we always do. Relaxing and I love looking at the plants and any special displays they have

Always found that ride enjoyable and various plants/vegetables are grown in the greenhouse based on the time of year, so you see different crops based on when you go. Honestly can't say I recall the music, like some others apparently do. I can name several other rides across the various parks that haven't change in 10+years which are candidates for a 'makeover'.

There is a also a walking 'behind the scenes tour' of this ride which we did many years ago. Don't know what the current price is, but worth doing if you enjoy the greenhouse experience.
That tour is called Behind the Seeds. It's really a very inexpensive tour, too.

Yes, you can skip it. But the above posters are all correct. It is great to relax, get off your feet, etc.

If you have kids I doubt they will ask to ride it again.

It was my nephew's favorite ride when he was little. True story. And Epcot was the favorite park. You just never know.

Sorry I know this will offend most on here but to the OP...
Not many rides at EPCOT means that a ok ride like Soarin is claimed as "amazing" because its one of the best rides in the park...when in fact its just mildly better than a giant dome IMAX film.

Therefore a tour of their GMO greenhouse is claimed by the hardcores as "great" it seems just because "thats EPCOT" and it has a row of squash shaped like Mickey.

Honestly if it weren't for the TT experience of design your own car followed by the ride (a big favorite still of my 3 kids from our 2015 trip) and RAT (a family favorite movie) being opened just before our trip in June 2020 then we would have skipped EPCOT for our families second visit to WDW. Frozen doesn't even move the needle for my twin 8yr old girls anymore, even with the trailers our for F2.

EPCOT is (right now) a park for AP holders, frequent visitors and not infrequent travelers.

Yes, you can skip it. But the above posters are all correct. It is great to relax, get off your feet, etc.

If you have kids I doubt they will ask to ride it again.

My kid loves it and asks to ride it every trip. She loves all of Future World.

Not many rides at EPCOT means that a ok ride like Soarin is claimed as "amazing" because its one of the best rides in the park...when in fact its just mildly better than a giant dome IMAX film.

Therefore a tour of their GMO greenhouse is claimed by the hardcores as "great" it seems just because "thats EPCOT" and it has a row of squash shaped like Mickey.

Honestly if it weren't for the TT experience of design your own car followed by the ride (a big favorite still of my 3 kids from our 2015 trip) and RAT (a family favorite movie) being opened just before our trip in June 2020 then we would have skipped EPCOT for our families second visit to WDW. Frozen doesn't even move the needle for my twin 8yr old girls anymore, even with the trailers our for F2.

EPCOT is (right now) a park for AP holders, frequent visitors and not infrequent travelers.

And that is your opinion which you are entitled to. But opinion is not the same as fact.

I experienced it once and that was enough for me, I would rather spend my time doing other things because my time at the park is limited. It did not interest me at all. It’s not for everyone and that’s ok.

We always ride this but I have to say that I liked it much better years ago when they had the theme music going and a live CM narrating. I also think Disney needs to do something with the very end of the ride after you leave the greenhouse. We were fortunate to do the Behind the Seeds tour many times when it was first introduced and free. I recommend it even though here is a charge now.

Another Epcot nostalgist here. Living with the Land and Spaceship Earth are the last remnants of the early, edutainment version of Epcot/Future World, which was my favorite theme park of all time. The earlier version of Future World was so inspiring and the most fun way to learn! I miss Horizons, World of Motion, the original Universe of Energy pre-show and attraction (before Ellen moved in there), etc. I also miss the theme songs like "Listen to the Land", "Tomorrow's Child", etc.

We love Living with the Land. So much so that we even booked the Behind the Seeds Tour last August. It was a lot of fun and one of the more inexpensive tours that you can book through Disney.

Please don't feel the need to explain why I like the ride, I can explain for myself. ;)

Did you go to Epcot in it's early years? This is an original ride (different name). It's not great because it has a row of squash shaped like Mickey. :rotfl:

For some of us the ride represents how imaginative, entertaining but at the same time educational Epcot used to be. There were no other parks like that at the time, it was an amazing experience as a child (for me anyways).
It's really hard to put into words if you weren't lucky enough to have been there in the beginning of it all.
The great rides (Horizons, World of Motion) are long gone, but LWTL and SE still stand and let's hope it stays that way.

I have no problems that people don't like it, I get it - especially if you have no nostalgic ties to the ride. Hey, I don't like Carousel of Progress!

Last edited:
So we are planning out what rides we'll be going on for an upcoming trip. This one seems to be on people's list...but it doesn't look good.

We've watched videos, and i know that is not the same as riding a ride, but it does look dreadfully boring.

Do you guys skip this one?

/reported :)

LotL is classic EPOCT. A perfect balance of entertainment and education, with their eyes on a better world tomorrow.

I totally can see today's generation of children not being able to sit still or look up from their Candy Crush long enough to get anything out of the ride. However, if a child is interested in learning something or is fascinated about the things to come, then LotL is perfect for them.

Last edited:
Our family goes on it every time we go to Epcot and our DDs always want to go on the it as well.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter