Live from the Grand Californian

dwelty

"God Bless 'em, let 'em pee"-Roy Disney
Just checked into the Grand Californian at the Disneyland Resort. Got a great room on the 5th floor. It overlooks a courtyard with a small redwood forest. The monorail wooshes by below about every 10 min. We have a view of the top of the matterhorn. We will be looking for tinkerbell tomorrow night. We are getting ready to walk out to Downtown Disney to eat at Tortilla Joe's. We have premium fantasmic viewing at 9:00pm. Hope the kids can hold out that late. The weather is perfect. About 78 with 30% humidity. THis is a great place to get your summer Disney fix without swealtering temps. I will try to post some pictures soon. Also, walked over to the DVC building here at DLR. There are 6 construction office trailers being installed. Literally right next door to the DVC offices. (There is nothing else in this part of the resort except a parking lot)

I ran into two DVC reps, they told me that they are all wondering why they are there also. Both of them independently told me that DVC Management WILL NOT THELL THEM WHAT THEY ARE FOR. (I wonder why they are so tight lipped)?

I tried to find my guide just to say high, but she was not avaliable. (She never tells me anything anyway, although she is realy nice).

Looks like something might be hapening here at DLR re: DVC. I will try and post some pictures I took of these trailers tonight.

Thanks for the update- can't wait to see the pix- If I remember correctly from my 2005 visit the DVC office is in or near one of the DLH towers- 6 office trailers seems to indicate something fairly good sized happening - more that just a renovation of one of the DLH towers I would think---

Hope you had a great dinner and enjoyed Fantasmic-

Ah, the Grand California. What a beautiful resort. :love:

Where are the offices and trailers relative to the DLH?

Most of all...have fun!:cool1:

OOOHHH - now I can't wait....only one more day and we too will be at the Grand Californian....so looking forward to this....please, describe more!!

Thanks for the post!!

I hope this means they are getting ready to build a DVC. But there are also rumors of a massive rethemeing, and redecorating of the DLH this August.

Thanks for posting! I hope you'll come back soon, because I'd also like to know what category room you booked!

Disneyland:cloud9: .....ahhh....haven't been in years! We first saw Fantasmic there and waited for so long for it to come to WDW. Can not wait to see your pics.

Come on DVC @ DL! We NEED one...it only make sense! I was there last in 2004 and even then there were Best Kept Secret signs and kiosks popping up everywhere--I thought for sure that DL would the next one announced...then cam AKV (not complaining, mind you, just surprised).

Just announce something already!

Would like to know too, dwelty! ;) Also, how was the *premium Fantasmic viewing* and how did you get signed up for that? Thanks! :)

You can call the Disneyland dinning number and they can make reservations for you. There are 2 places for vewing. One is from the balcony of the Disney Gallery. (Originally the Disney family apartment) The other is on the riverbanks in front of Haunted Mansion. There is a roped off area with nice chairs, and they give you a box with assorted fancy desserts. If you haven't seen Disneyland's version of Fantasmic you should. It is widely agreend among Disney fans that between Disneyland's version and WDW, Disneyland's is better. The Sailing ship Columbia is rigged up like a pirate ship for a Peter Pan segment. There are pirates that climb the rigging, and literally swing out over the crowd. Then at the end the real Mark Twain is part of the Grand finale. Definately worth checking out.

Thanks for posting! I hope you'll come back soon, because I'd also like to know what category room you booked!

We booked a standard view room with bunk beds (for the kids) The rooms are the same shape, size, and setup to Wilderness Lodge and AKL. (No suprise since it was designed by the same Architect). I would recommend everyone book a standard view. The worse view you will ever get is a view of the Disneyland Hotel, not too bad in my opinion. And most likely you will get the Brisas courtyard like we did. It is a big courtyard in the mddle of the hotel, lanscaped with Redwood trees and flowers. The Monorail goes right thru it, and they often hold wedding receptions down below, it is quite nice. We could see the fireworks last night as well since we are on the 5th floor.

You can call the Disneyland dinning number and they can make reservations for you. There are 2 places for vewing. One is from the balcony of the Disney Gallery. (Originally the Disney family apartment) The other is on the riverbanks in front of Haunted Mansion. There is a roped off area with nice chairs, and they give you a box with assorted fancy desserts. If you haven't seen Disneyland's version of Fantasmic you should. It is widely agreend among Disney fans that between Disneyland's version and WDW, Disneyland's is better. The Sailing ship Columbia is rigged up like a pirate ship for a Peter Pan segment. There are pirates that climb the rigging, and literally swing out over the crowd. Then at the end the real Mark Twain is part of the Grand finale. Definately worth checking out.

Thanks! That sounds great! :goodvibes

We booked a standard view room with bunk beds (for the kids) The rooms are the same shape, size, and setup to Wilderness Lodge and AKL. (No suprise since it was designed by the same Architect). I would recommend everyone book a standard view.
Thanks for answering! Hope you come back again with a mini-report!
:goodvibes

Just an update...

My wife and 16 year old son took the Segwy tour at California Adventure. They really had a great time, and now want to do it at EPCOT this fall. We spent most of yesterday by the pool. They have a great pool area here with a large pool with a great slide, and another large pool that mostly had adults. there are 3 Hot tubs as well. It is great sitting in the hot tub looking at the lights of California Adventure. We watched the fireworks from our room last night. (They have a station on the TV that you can tune to and get fireworks music in your room). Remember Dreams come true is a great fireworks show!

I am sitting here (wed morning) on the balcony. Every couple of minutes I can hear gun shots coming from the Jungle Cruise, and I can also hear the whistle from the Mark Twain. Disney always talks about the Grand Californian being right next to California Adventure, but the Downtown Disney side (Where we are) is closer to Disneyland. I would reccomend this hotel to anyone who normally vacations at WDW. I do not feel that the other Disneyland Resort Hotels have a WDW feel, I think this one does.

We have to check out soon. Cant wait for our trip to SSR this November!

Hey!!! Thanks for checking in! I hope I get to stay there next year! Thanks for all the specifics on the room and location! It's really great that you can see the fireworks from your room, AND hear the music from the radio.

I guess I have some planning to do . . . ;)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter