Live from New Zealand

Andy&Keryn

Earning My Ears
We have just moved from the UK to New Zealand and already missed our annual dose of Walt Disney World. However, the planning has already started but, become a bit more stressful. I am certain that we are not the only Kiwi's to ever venture to Walt Disney World (Florida) from this part of the world, so here are our plans and questions:-

The Plan:-

Flight from Auckland to Los Angeles and then straight to New York for 4 day/3 nights.

Question, should we stay over in LA and then get a early morning flight from LA to NY the following day?

Direct flight from New York to Orlando and then 3 weeks in WDW property

Question: Can we take full advantage of 'Disney's Magical Express"?

All help and guidance would be greatly appreciated

Andy & Keryn

To judge your flight options we would need to know the departure/arrival times, transfer times, how long is each flight etc. And then still it can be different for each person. I think I would stay a night in LA before flying to NYC. I think otherwise the first day or two in NYC will go by in a blur to adjust to the time zones.

The main thing is the difference in jetlag, from the UK to Orlando you fly in the same the direction as the sun, from Australia it will be the opposite direction. Not completely comparable as flying back is after a wdw vacation, but on previous trips which flight direction do you find easier?

About Magical Express, as far as I know only US and Canadian citizens can make full use of all ME options, I believe Australians have the same as European guests, use the bus but handle your own suitcases.

I'd recommend the night in LA before going onwards.
My experience was that my connecting flight departed only 2 hours after the first flight landed and the airport arrivals queue was insane we only passed through the desks at the time our next flight was due to leave, it was only because the second flight was delayed that we made it on time.

Then there was almost 19hours (the combined total flight) where you are sitting in a cramped airline seat which unless I'm gonna be flying 1st class is something I wouldnt want to do again.

As for the ME, you can use the bus but have to collect your own bags from the airport.

I haven't been to WDW so can't really help you, but there is a WHOLE BOARD for Kiwis and Aussies that you could check out :thumbsup2

http://www.disboards.com/forums/australia.177/

This is an excellent suggestion :)

I think the decision whether or not to stay overnight in LA comes down to personal preference and how you like to travel/how well you deal with jet lag etc We prefer to get ordeal out of the way as staying at LA doesn't really help us adjust to East Coast time any faster.

With ME, Disney will collect your bags for you if you give them your luggage stubs that the airlines issue. They will then deliver to your room just as they would if you had the DME tags. We've done this a few times as we've arrived in Orlando in the evening with little ones after nearly 24 hrs of travel and just wanted to hop on the bus and get to the resort. The only proviso is that it isn't as quick and the luggage can be a few hours behind you so you'll need your essentials in your carry on.

We've flown from another US city to Orlando as well and got our US travel agent to send our DME tags to our hotel so we could utilized DME service the "usual" way

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter