Live from HH 06/03-06/08 (now with link to pictures)

WolfpackFan

Retired and loving every minute of it!!
We are home!!! Checked in shortly after 3:00 and got a very nice 2BR with a great marsh view. Just what we wanted. It was great, we walked into the lodge and the first thing we saw was Shadow. No problems with our unit that I can see. DS37 likes his private room :). DW and myself took a walk about and took pictures. Ran into Tinks and her family on the pier. It was very nice talking to them. Then DW came back to the unit, while I made a run to the Piggly Wiggly to get some supplies (okay, I admit it - some beer :)). Now watching Tiger win the Memorial. Will head out shortly for dinner at San Miguels followed by a walk on the beach.

I am trying to figure out how to post some pictures, but all I have with me this trip is my iPad and iPhone.

Later.

Sunday night update -

We had a very good meal at San Miguels. Then drove over to Beach House for a walk on the beach. Now watching Ice Road Truckers while sitting on one of the most uncomfortable sofas I've ever sat on.

Plan for tomorrow is hit the beach in the morning.

Enjoy your trip and one of our favorite DVC resorts. So far it sounds wonderful (well except for the sofa part :lmao:) and I will enjoy HHI through your report. I will be there but not until September...counting the days!!!!

Monday morning update -

Up early this morning and enjoying my coffee out on the deck. I see several beautiful birds out in the marsh. It is so nice and relaxing out here, just me and the birds. Weather is kind of overcast right now and there is a nice breeze. Hopefully it will burn off in a little bit and we can have a nice day out on the beach. Plan to go walk around the marina a little while DW sleeps in. Who knows when DS will arise :rotfl2:.

How is your DS enjoying HHI so far? It was nice to meet you all as well. Have fun on the beach!

So far DS hasn't seen much of the resort except for the walk over to San Miguel's. He is the evening manager of a store and his days and nights are reversed, so he was pretty much zonked out last evening. We're going over to the beach this morning, but he will probably stay here and wonder around the resort some.

Love the pictures...I am sure hoping you take some at the Beach House. I was reading in the Disney Files they did a complete pool overhaul and several other updates to the Beach House.

Most of all have FUN and keeping sharing!!!

Monday afternoon, 2:30 update -

Well we are back at our unit and it is raining, and you no what? it doesn't bother us one bit. I'm sitting out on our balcony, enjoying the nice breeze and rain and watching the birds and just relaxing with a nice cold beer. What could be better?

Now where did I leave off? DS and I did a walkabout around the resort. He just loves watching the wildlife. I showed him the neat sitting area at the south end of the resort and we just relaxed there a while before looking at the boats in the marina. We actually saw two boats leave the marina - that is very unusual.

The plan then was for DW and myself to go sit out on the beach, but for some reason we never could quite get motivated, we were enjoying the balcony so much. After a while DS said he was hungry :), so we did head over to the Beach House and had lunch at Signals. DW and I split the chicken fingers and DS had a cheeseburger. Both were very good and I thought a pretty good value, considering you are at a tourist location.

After lunch we looked round the Beach House and I did take some pictures. We then walked out on the beach a distance and saw several turtle nesting areas. About that time it looked like a storm was blowing in, so we headed back to the car. Not wanting to go back home yet, we paid the $5 to get into Sea Pines and went to Harbour Town. Of course DS was making jokes about the gated communities and keeping the riff-raff (us) out, etc. :). We walked around Harbour Town and I took the obligatory pictures of the lighthouse. And of course we couldn't leave without getting an ice cream cone from the Cinnamon Bear.

We had planned to walk around South Beach Marina, but by the time we got there it was raining pretty good. Then DS asked the question, could you have a gated community within a gated community? And sure enough we saw one at South Beach :rotfl2:.

Now we're back at the resort. If it stops raining DW and I will head back to beach. Seafood is on the menu tonight - either Scott's, Old Oystery Factory or Hudsons. Just not sure which yet.

I will be adding some more pictures to my photo journal shortly (link previously posted).

You're making me "homesick"! HHI isn't our "home resort", but we were there last year and can't wait to go back. Love the pix - thanks for sharing :goodvibes ENJOY!!!

Monday, a little later -

Just got back from doing a walk down the beach. Left DW and DS asleep in the unit. Tide was really low. The tidal changes here are amazing. Sometimes you look out at the marsh and it is very low and you see a lot of land. Other times all you see is water.

Now, I hope this doesn't bother people, and remember we love the HHI resort and are owners here, but this resort has some of the most uncomfortable furniture I have ever seen. The sofa is the worst, when you sit on it, it is hard to keep from sliding off. The fabric is slick and it is tilted towards the front. And the chairs are not much better. I almost want to go out to Wal-Mart and buy a chair to sit on :).

Tuesday morning update -

We ended up eating dinner last night at Hudson's. It was not one of our better dining experiences. Everytime we eat there we leave disappointed and say to ourselves we won't come back. But somehow we always forget. I hate it when you arrive at a restaurant and you can see half a dozen empty tables and they tell you there is a wait. The service was slow and the food just okay except for the Shrimp and Grits that DS ordered which was terrible. I've never seen Shrimp and Grits in a country style steak gravy. Gross tasting. Anyway we left disappointed again. Note to self - remember this next year.

We then headed back to the resort (after stopping to get DS a hamburger at McDonalds). DW sat out and read some in one of the chairs next to the marsh and I walked over to the marina and listened to some of the music at San Miguel's.

This morning I got up early and did my morning walk. Plan is to leave around 9:30 and head to Savannah. Having lunch at my favorite restaurant in the world - Mrs. Wilkes.

Note - seems to be there are a lot more of the Adirondack type chairs scattered all around the resort this year. Very nice addition. Lots of places just to sit and enjoy the serenity of the resort.

PS - I've updated my pictures again.

2012 HHI Pictures

Tuesday afternoon update -

Wow, we had a great lunch today at Mrs. Wilkes in Savannah. We left HHI around 9:30 and got to Mrs. Wilkes around 10:30. There was already a pretty long line. They opened at 11:00 and we were probably seated by 11:20. All you can eat southern cooking, served family style. Some of the best fried chicken I've ever had. The veggies were the best part though IMO. Great squash, Lima beans, collards, okra, Mac and cheese, cucumbers, black eyed peas, string beans and many other items I can't remember. You just ate and ate until you could eat no more all the while joking with your table mates who just met five minutes ago. Like I said my favorite restaurant in the world.

After eating we wondered around Savannah. I just love the old houses and the squares. Went down to the river front also. Then we headed back home.

We decided after that huge lunch, we really wouldn't want much supper, so I stopped by a road side stand and got us some peaches and a couple of tomatoes and we're just going to have a tomato sandwich for supper.

Now I am just sitting out on the balcony watching it rain. Hopefully we will make it out to the beach sometime this trip.

I have added my Savannah pictures to the photo collection. Click on the link below and then click on the Savannah button at the top.

2012 HHI Picture Journal

We were just there over memorial day and I already feel "homesick" looking at your photos! Have fun and enjoy!

Wednesday morning update -

Rain, rain and more rain. It is Wednesday and we've been here since Sunday and we've yet to make it out to the beach. Bummer.

Great hearing your live trip report and thanks for the great pix of one of "our" homes! We leave in three weeks and are so looking forward to it!!

Thursday morning update -

Well yesterday was a wash out as far as the weather goes. We finally ended up going to a movie in the afternoon - The Avengers. We then got back and DW and myself walked out on the beach but it was too windy and cold to stay there.

For dinner, we went to Old Oyster Factory. Delicious as usual. I just love their hot oyster combo appetizer and the Tilapia. Coming back we stopped by Starbucks, then headed on back to the resort. DW and myself then went to the campfire, followed by a walk down to the south end of the island where we sat for a while on the chairs there.

Woke up this morning and thought the sun was shining. But sitting out on the balcony now, it is overcast again and cool. DW is not happy at all. She loves laying out in the sun and there is a real chance she will completely miss doing that this trip. Since we've been here there has only been two periods when the sun was out and we were doing something else both times. Oh well, not anything you can do about it. We only live two hours from the beach and I've told her we will go down in the next week or so.

Well I'm going to go walk around the marina while DW and DS sleep in and hopefully the sun will come out later on. Dinner tonight is Fuddruckers.

I would like to try the Old Oyster Factory. I think you and your wife snuck up to the campfire last night and was sitting behind us. I couldn't be missed in the bright neon yellow jacket. :lmao:

I haven't walked out on the deck yet. will be in a few minutes though. It has been really breezy this trip and much cooler than i ever thought it would be. I wasn't prepared for it at all. I can totally relate to her not getting to enjoy the beach like she is used to. Hope it warms up a bit for us today. Has your son enjoyed the resort and the relaxing part of it?

Tinks, I thought that was you all, but it looked like you were missing a boy. Sometime yesterday I saw your boys fishing over by the lodge (we are in the building next to the lodge) and stepped over to see if they had caught anything. DW just came by and said for us to head down to beach around 10:00. Hopefully the rain will stay away. I can take clouds just fine.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter