Little update on friend with Medicaid issues

But around the clock medical care can cost more than a home. However, you can enter a nicer home with private pay and stay on after Medicaid kicks in. If you spend it all on home care and run out, you have to enter the home on Medicaid and end up in a much worse home.

DH's grandmother would have ended up in the same home, if her money ran out. In the meantime, she would have been happier at home than in the nursing home. All she needed was someone to keep an eye on her to make sure she was fed & didn't fall. She didn't require any medical equipment.

DH's grandmother would have ended up in the same home, if her money ran out. In the meantime, she would have been happier at home than in the nursing home. All she needed was someone to keep an eye on her to make sure she was fed & didn't fall. She didn't require any medical equipment.
The home I was going to put my dad in didn’t accept Medicaid patients, but would fine a Medicaid bed for them after 3 years of private pay. They didn’t promise that they wouldn’t be sent to another facility, it was based on how long they paid.

Yes but one should spend what one has instead of trying to commit fraud like the OPS friend is doing.

While it is fraud and it is against the law, the system is so unfair that its beyond ridiculous.

Very few people can save for college for kids, save for retirement, save for nursing home and all the other things that one needs to save for in life. People actually are supposed to live too! When a person has worked all their life, paid into all the things we are required to pay into and then to have to lose it all because that productive member of society, that we are all taught to be, needs nursing home care is just the epitome of craziness, imho.

Its easy to say "one should spend what one has" when you are one that has the money to pay for the best. A whole lot harder when you are having to pick the bottom of the barrel for a loved one.

The home I was going to put my dad in didn’t accept Medicaid patients, but would fine a Medicaid bed for them after 3 years of private pay. They didn’t promise that they wouldn’t be sent to another facility, it was based on how long they paid.
Unfortunately, there aren't any solely private facilities in the town MIL took DH's GM to. They supposedly separated the medicaid & pay patients, but they didn't. After her first roommate passed away, the second roommate was a medicaid patient. His GM was still paying, when she passed away 5 years later.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter