List of Travel Times from Resorts to Parks

Frederic Civish

“I’m just here for the Ears.”
DVC Gold
Hi everyone. As we all know, there are often questions about how long it takes to get somewhere, and which resorts are the most 'convenient' for various purposes.

Well, I have been researching the amount of time it takes to get from EACH RESORT to EACH PARK, and I present my findings below. This might help in planning vacations, and shows which resorts actually have INCREASED TRANSIT TIMES. For each Resort, I list the time to EACH PARK, and then I list an AVERAGE TIME for all 4 parks.

Transportation around Disney World can be part of the fun, especially on the boats, monorail and gondola. So don't look at it as just trying to get from one place to another as quickly as possible.

There are some surprises in the data below, when you look at it all.

Guess which resorts take the longest on an average? The 3 Monorail Resorts! Monorail is one of the slowest ways to get around to parks.

Guess which resort has the shortest average travel time? OKW! (Except that you need to add time for additional stops within the resort, and if you add the additional bus stops at OKW, Beach Club and Boardwalk, then ANIMAL KINGDOM VILLAS might actually be the shortest average travel time of all resorts!! With Wilderness Lodge a close second!)

Measurements below are estimates from Google Maps, and reflect current expected daytime travel times, including estimates from traffic.

Monorail Times
MK Monorails
Resort Monorail
, Clockwise, 30 minutes loop (including stops at each of 5 locations for 3 mins each)
Express Monorail, Counterclockwise, 20 minutes loop (including stops at MK and TTC for 3 mins each)

EPCOT Monorail, 30 mins loop. Including stops for 3 mins each at Epcot and TTC.

There are No buses from Monorail Resorts to MK or Epcot, except when the Monorails are down.

*OKW
(from Hospitality House) (Plus, you need to add time, about 8 minutes, average, for other bus stops! Typically it averages to about 1 to 2 minutes per stop, depending on mobility impaired vacationers. There are 5 bus stops in OKW. Depending on where you are, you must add time for each of them. If they don’t affect you on the way to the park, they will affect you on the way home.)
HS 12 min, 2.7 mi
Epcot 8 min 2.5 mi
MK 16 min 7 mi
AK 10 min, 5.9 miles
Average Travel Time for All 4 Parks: 12 min (plus add 2 mins more for each additional bus stop, so this time is not really accurate, and resort should probably be farther down the list.)

*Boardwalk (Plus, you need to add time for other bus stops! Typically it averages to about 1 to 2 minutes per stop, depending on mobility impaired vacationers. There are 8 bus stops around Crescent Lake. Each bus probably stops at 4 of them, on an average. Depending on where you are, you must add time for each of them. If they don’t affect you on the way to the park, they will probably affect you on the way home.)
HS 12 min. Half mile (or up to almost 1 mile) for walk. But 14 mins on the boat.
Epcot 8 min walk
MK 16 min 6 mi
AK 10 in 3.1 mi
Average Travel Time for All 4 Parks: 12 min (plus add 2 mins more for each additional bus stop at other resorts, so this time is not really accurate, and resort should probably be farther down the list.)

*Beach Club (Plus, you need to add time for other bus stops! Typically it averages to about 1 to 2 minutes per stop, depending on mobility impaired vacationers. There are 8 bus stops around Crescent Lake. Each bus probably stops at 4 of them, on an average. Depending on where you are, you must add time for each of them. If they don’t affect you on the way to the park, they will probably affect you on the way home.)
HS 16 min. Around a mile to walk, but about 14 mins by boat.
Epcot 8 min 3.4 mi by bus, 6 min walk
MK 12 min 7 mi
AK 11 min 3.7 mi
Average Travel Time for All 4 Parks: 12 min (plus add 2 mins more for each added bus stop at other resorts, so this time is not really accurate, and resort should probably be farther down the list.)

*AKV (From Jambo House. If at Kidani, add 4 minutes to account for the stop at Jambo.)
HS 12 min 5.4 mi
Epcot 12 min 5.9 mi
MK 18 min 6.8 mi
AK 6 min 1.4 mi
Average Travel Time for All 4 Parks: 12 min (add 4 mins to each time if at Kidani)

*Riviera (Times are tentative and might be adjusted in the future)

MK 17 mins by bus
AK 12 mins by bus
Epcot 5 mins by Skyliner
HS 13 to 14 mins (Skyliner 9 mins to Caribbean Beach hub plus 5 mins to HS)
Average Travel Time for All 4 Parks: 13 mins.
(As someone said, "Skyliner, when it's running, is so fast and convenient!" However, to this point the Skyliner has frequent slow downs and stops, usually for 30 seconds to 1 minute at a time (sometimes longer, of course), and it might potentially get worse, depending on the number of ECVs at Riviera. These estimate times on Skyliner are MINIMAL times. The times have been measured and this is accurate, if there are no slow-downs or stops. Keep in mind that every time they stop for 30 seconds, it affects EVERYONE on the line, all the way from Caribbean Beach to Riviera to EPCOT.)

(One other detail about the Skyliner that people should learn - the vents that provide airflow are partially adjustable, from inside the gondola, so if you are hot or cold, you can open or close them. But they only really work to cool you off while the gondola is moving.)

*Saratoga (Plus, you need to add time for other bus stops! Typically it averages to about 1 to 2 minutes per stop, depending on mobility impaired vacationers. Probably 6 to 8 additional minutes. There are 5 bus stops in OKW. Depending on where you are, you must add time for each of them. If they don’t affect you on the way to the park, they will affect you on the way home.)
HS 16 min 4.9 mi
Epcot 11 min 3.7 mi
MK 18 min, 4.8 mi
AK 15 min 7 mi
Average Travel Time for All 4 Parks: 15 min (Plus add 2 mins more for each additional bus stop, so this time is not really accurate, and resort should probably be farther down the list.)

*Wilderness Lodge
HS 18 min 6.7 mi
Epcot 12 min 4.9 mi
MK 14 min 1.5 mile
AK 14 min 6.9 mi
Average Travel Time for All 4 Parks: 15 mins

*Polynesian
(Monorail is one of the slowest ways to get around to parks.)
(Polynesian buses also stop at Grand Floridian, which adds at least 2 minutes.)
MK 15 min (monorail)
Epcot NO bus, Monorail is 25 mins (5 mins walking to TTC, 5 mins waiting next monorail, 15 mins travel) (Monorail is one of the slowest ways to get around to parks.)
HS 10 min 5 mi
AK 12 min 5.2 mi
Average Travel Time for All 4 Parks: 15 min

*Grand Floridian
(Monorail is one of the slowest ways to get around to parks.)
MK 10 min (No bus, only Monorail) There is now a new option to walk to MK 0.5 miles, 10 mins.
Epcot 35 mins (NO bus, only Monorail.) (20 mins monorail to TTC, plus 15 mins to Epcot. Monorail is one of the slowest ways to get around to parks.)
HS 9 min 5 mi
AK 11 min 5.2 mi
Average Travel Time for All 4 Parks: 16 min

*BLT/Contemporary

HS 16 min 7.3 mi
Epcot NO Bus, but Monorail is 25 mins (5 mins to TTC, 5 mins wait, 15 to Epcot. Monorail is one of the slowest ways to get around to parks.)
MK 7 min walk 0.4 mi
AK 16 min 7.4 mi
Average Travel Time for All 4 Parks: 16.5

This list, above, is mostly covering the buses, but keep in mind that the free Internal Transportation provided by Disney World includes all of the following:

* Buses from resorts to parks, and from parks to parks
* Friendship Boats from Hollywood Studios to Boardwalk, Beach Club and Epcot
* Water Taxies from OKW and SSR to Disney Springs
* Ferry from TTC (Ticket and Transportaton Center) to Magic Kingdom
* Launches/Water Taxis to and from the Magic Kingdom and the Resorts around the 7 Seas Lagoon and Bay Lake. This includes, Grand Floridian, Polynesian, Bay Lake Tower, and Wilderness lodge (and separately to Fort Wilderness).
* Monorail from BLT, Poly, Grand Floridian, Magic Kingdom and TTC (Ticket and Transportation Center)
* Skyliner gondolas from Epcot to Riviera to Caribbean Beach then to Hollywood Studios

Transportation within Disney World is also available for a fee by using:
* Minnie Vans (through the Lyft app)
* Lyft
* Uber

The travel times listed are from BUS STOP to BUS STOP, from Resort to Park. Do not make the mistake of thinking that is how long it is going to take you to get into the park, since you will have to walk a moderate distance, and also go through security and through the ticket gates. If you plan to go to the parks early, to be there for Rope Drop, 45 minutes total travel time is minimum and an hour might be better.

When transferring to another park or resort, in addition to the bus routes listed above, most of the Theme Parks will also have regular buses running that can take you to the other Theme Parks or to Disney Springs. Sometimes, it can also be beneficial to take a bus to a different park, or different resort, or Disney Springs, and then transfer to another bus to your desired location. This can especially be true if you walk out to the bus stop and the bus is right there.

Information on BUS transit times is from Google Maps. Information on Monorail travel times is from Disney information. I am NOT including wait time and loading time (which increases with electric scooters) for buses and monorails, since that is variable.

I also am not including extra time spent stopping at additional bus stops, for loading and unloading, since that is so variable. But you should pay attention to the fact that, in addition to travel time to and from the parks, there might be additional time making stops at other locations. Many resorts such as Old Key West and Saratoga Springs have extra bus stops, internally. Some resorts, such as Boardwalk Villas and Beach Club often have extra bus stops that they share with other resorts around Crescent Lake, including the Swan and Dolphin. Wilderness Lodge buses sometimes go to the Polynesian and then the Grand Floridian before traveling on, and all Polynesian buses go through Grand Floridian. Then when the buses return, to Grand Floridian, they have to stop at Poly first, which adds time on the return trip. Animal Kingdom has one internal stop, at Kidani Village before going on to Jambo House. You should research your resort and go to Maps.Google.Com and type in something like "Bus Stops at Disney's Beach Club Resort," and look at the bus stops in your area.

I also realize that bus travel times are sometimes longer, or shorter, depending on traffic congestion and construction delays. And there are often Construction delays somewhere in Disney World. So these numbers are not 'exact' but they seem to be pretty typical. You might consider doing a web search for something like, "Current or Ongoing Road Construction Projects in Disney World Area."

Do keep in mind that these times that are listed above are not the times you want to use if you are travelling from a resort to a park, or a park to another park, in order to keep a Dining Reservation. In that case, you must plan on at least 1 hour travel time, and maybe an hour and a half of travel time. Why? Well, first, because your bus might be late. Sometimes things happen and you only get a bus after 40 minutes. Then you must travel to the park, then go through security (which can take a lot of time during busy hours) and then through the ticket gate, and then you must walk in to your restaurant. Honestly, an hour is minimum for this, and consider yourself lucky if that is all it takes. An hour and a half should give you a good cushion of time. On the other hand, from parks to a resort for Dinner, or to Disney Springs is usually about 50 mins.

Last edited:
Yes, a lot of people have certain perceptions about travel that often are off. I've always been one to support AKV as having some of the best transportation (have timed it myself) and Monorail resorts as the worst - it's just the the monorail is not a norm you find and is iconic to WDW. And then there's the difference with the monorail resorts in going to/from somewhere. For example BLT/CR the wizard below estimates 34 minutes which I'd agree to. And returning from Epcot to BLT/CR? 45 minutes. We've had it take an 1+ hours because of long waits to transfer the the TTC. SSR and OKW are centrally located and with the bus service also very good but have the additional internal stops that AKV does not. But once you're heading out of the resort it's a very fast trip to any of the 4 parks.

I've always liked this transportation calculator: http://www.ourlaughingplace.com/aspx/twiz.aspx

BWV & BCV do not have bus service to either DHS or EPCOT. Choice is boat or walk. Boat takes about 30 minutes to go between the two parks, stopping three times at bcv/bc/yc, bwi/bwv & swan/dolphin in between.

For last few years, bus from BWV to AK or to MK has either gone direct or stopped only at Swan and Dolphin.

I think some people obsess way too much about the buses, with that said, it's not really how long it takes to get there, but how long it takes to get picked up. Personally, I think bus transport has improved significantly in the last few years.

Wow, thanks for this, @Frederic Civish !!

One might add the walking time/calories burned pushing a double stroller from the BW area to HS in the heat and construction detours...! (I think I lost a little weight on that trip)

Another thought - although going through security now makes it slightly longer (is it even doable?) - when we stayed at BLT/CR we would sometimes walk to the bus depot at MK to go resort-resort. Also, would walking to the MK bus stop and taking a direct bus (to, say AK or HS) be any faster than taking the bus from CR and then stopping at other resorts?

Wow, thanks for this, @Frederic Civish !!

One might add the walking time/calories burned pushing a double stroller from the BW area to HS in the heat and construction detours...! (I think I lost a little weight on that trip)

Another thought - although going through security now makes it slightly longer (is it even doable?) - when we stayed at BLT/CR we would sometimes walk to the bus depot at MK to go resort-resort. Also, would walking to the MK bus stop and taking a direct bus (to, say AK or HS) be any faster than taking the bus from CR and then stopping at other resorts?

The transportation calculator I posted a link to estimates 25 minutes for bus to AK vs 41 minutes of walk to MK and bus from there to AK. Wait times for transportation are not included in that so either could have up to 20 minutes added on to it. Or if your a faster walker that 41 minutes may be a bit less.

I think some people obsess way too much about the buses, with that said, it's not really how long it takes to get there, but how long it takes to get picked up. Personally, I think bus transport has improved significantly in the last few years.
we were just there first week of sept. because of construction the buses to MK and HS are a nightmare. it's so bad at HS they have complimentary W?c's to get those with bad feet and legs out to the bus stops at the end of their day. Nope, not kidding, in fact, last day I used one.
here's what I think about the transportation system... it stinks, it always has. If you have a car, use it. That's what we do, and No Joke, when staying at OKW a few years ago, we had this conversation with a obstinate person in our party. so, My husband and I took the car and his kid to MK. It was about 5:30 or so PM. we got there parked, and into the park and called them, nothing. so we texted our location. we were there a bit over an hour before they caught up to us in tomorrowland. so, if we have plenty of time and don't care, we'll wait for a bus. if we have little ones with us, or want to get things done in one park and have time to hop to another, we drive.

Questions/thoughts about this analysis:

1) Where did you get the bus data for Boardwalk and Beach Club to Hollywood/Epcot? I thought that was boat/walking only. There's no way Beach Club -> Hollywood is only 11 minutes by boat. Sprinting maybe.
2) It looks like this assumes the average wait time for a bus is the same as the monorail. Any data on how accurate this assumption is?
3) This ignores security line differences, like walking to the Magic Kingdom from the Contemporary.
4) I suggest researching the number of stops for each resort to each park, and including them in the total. Travel, unloading, and loading at each stop is probably closer to 5 minutes than 2.

Integrating the following three adjustments flips the order of three test resorts: OKW, BW, Poly
  1. Touring plans has a 5 minute estimate for monorail wait. Buses, being every 20 minutes, should have a 10 minute average wait.
  2. Using Google for boat time from Boardwalk to Hollywood. Using walk number to Epcot.
  3. Added four minutes for each bus stop. Googled number of stops for each route.
Before:
  1. OKW - 8.6
  2. BW - 9.5
  3. Poly - 14
After:
  1. Poly - 24.5 // 2 bus stops
  2. BW - 26.8 // 3 bus stops
  3. OKW - 31.5 // 5 bus stops

The “Ultimate Guide” book has actual, statistical times. That was worth the price of the book for me.

This is great info so thanks!

Wondering how those who have stayed at AK Jambo/Kidani, Saratoga, and Old Key West felt about efficiency of Disney buses from those resorts. We are thinking about staying at one of them but have no experience at any. Would you recommend one over the others?

Thanks for any info you can provide.

Thank you so much for this info. I really wanted to find this out.
I did find that on Touring Plans website, they had a different set of times. Not completely different overall but there was some specific differences. I would check it out.

So I have a dinner reservation at Narcoossees and staying at BWV. How would I return to BWV. This would be after Epcot closing so could not take monorail to Epcot and walkthrough. ? go to Magic kingdom and take bus?

So I have a dinner reservation at Narcoossees and staying at BWV. How would I return to BWV. This would be after Epcot closing so could not take monorail to Epcot and walkthrough. ? go to Magic kingdom and take bus?
Yeah, that or Minnie van

Your post looks so official but I fear you guessed times by using google maps. Recently stayed at AK and it took 30 minutes to get to MK (maybe due to construction?). As others have said, no bus service to EP/HS from the Crescent Lake resorts.

Also, BW/B&Y/S&D often don’t share buses. It depends on time of year/time of day.

FWIW, we love AKV but the bus trips are not short.

Your post looks so official but I fear you guessed times by using google maps. Recently stayed at AK and it took 30 minutes to get to MK (maybe due to construction?). As others have said, no bus service to EP/HS from the Crescent Lake resorts.

Also, BW/B&Y/S&D often don’t share buses. It depends on time of year/time of day.

FWIW, we love AKV but the bus trips are not short.

I’ve timed it at 21 minutes to get from Kidani to MK. And we loaded an ECV at Jambo. Your 30 minutes was excessively long.

I’ve timed it at 21 minutes to get from Kidani to MK. And we loaded an ECV at Jambo. Your 30 minutes was excessively long.
OP claims 15 minutes which is not realistic. Regarding the 30 minutes, as I said, I think it had to do with construction at TTC.

OP claims 15 minutes which is not realistic. Regarding the 30 minutes, as I said, I think it had to do with construction at TTC.

They state 15 minutes drive from Jambo to MK plus 4 from Kidani so 19 minutes. My timing was exactly on par with that as it included load time at Jambo of a wheelchair. We frequently drive from our MK resort to AK or even AKL and it doen't exceed 15 minutes which is why I agreed that your experience must have run into something else to take it all the way up to 30. That's very excessive travel time from Jambo to MK.

I would be curious to see this updated for Riviera. I know the Skyliner is supposed to be 6min to Epcot and 5min to HS, so this could actually be the lowest travel time resort. It would be close to CB travel time, but the closest DVC is Saratogo, so maybe about 13min to MK and AK by bus?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!