Linking 3rd party purchased park tickets to room upon arrival?

Tormania

DIS Veteran
I don't know why I don't already know this but I'll ask to confirm. We purchased our 3 day park-to-park tickets from UT. When we check-in at RPR on our first day (early, before room is ready) do we just bring our printed tickets with us so they can link them to our room key and then we are good to go for park admission, Express Pass, etc?

Thanks!

Your room key can be used for charging/buying things and express pass, but ticket will be separate unless they've changed that.

Your room key can be used for charging/buying things and express pass, but ticket will be separate unless they've changed that.

OK, so the room key and the park ticket and physically separate items? Sorry for the ridiculously stupid questions, haven't been to USO in almost 20 yrs so not entirely sure how they manage all of that.

OK, so the room key and the park ticket and physically separate items? Sorry for the ridiculously stupid questions, haven't been to USO in almost 20 yrs so not entirely sure how they manage all of that.
Correct - room key and park tickets are separate media. But.... your room key and your Express Pass are the same thing! Confusing, I know.

Here are the key things you need to know (pun intended)
  • You'll need to scan the barcode of your park ticket to get in the parks or to board Hogwarts Express
  • Pretty much everywhere else, you're going to be scanning your room key, including
    • Getting in your room
    • If you use Early Park Admission, once you are in the park, there's a checkpoint where they will do a quick visual check of your room key (no scanning happens)
    • You can add a credit card to your room account and then use that room key to scan and pay
    • Finally, to use Express Pass, you will have to show/scan your room key. To enter the EP line, a TM will visually check your room key. Part way through the queue, another TM will scan it.
  • To get a locker, you need to scan a barcode - either your room key or your park ticket will work for this, but I recommend that you (and all of the signage will tell you to) use your room key and stick with that. One time, I reserved the locker with my room key, then scanned my EP to 'retrieve' my stuff. Imagine my moment of panic when the second locker opened and there was nothing inside! Showing my age, it was like Geraldo Rivera opening Al Capone's vault.

I now find it easier to just use my room key every time - it's easier to remember that the room key opens 'doors'... to the room and to the locker. ;)
Lanyards with clear pouches are pretty common at Universal for the above reasons. Put your room key barcode facing out on one side, and your park pass barcode facing out on the other. Easier than having to dig things out of your pocket over and over.

Correct - room key and park tickets are separate media. But.... your room key and your Express Pass are the same thing! Confusing, I know.

Here are the key things you need to know (pun intended)
  • You'll need to scan the barcode of your park ticket to get in the parks or to board Hogwarts Express
  • Pretty much everywhere else, you're going to be scanning your room key, including
    • Getting in your room
    • If you use Early Park Admission, once you are in the park, there's a checkpoint where they will do a quick visual check of your room key (no scanning happens)
    • You can add a credit card to your room account and then use that room key to scan and pay
    • Finally, to use Express Pass, you will have to show/scan your room key. To enter the EP line, a TM will visually check your room key. Part way through the queue, another TM will scan it.
  • To get a locker, you need to scan a barcode - either your room key or your park ticket will work for this, but I recommend that you (and all of the signage will tell you to) use your room key and stick with that. One time, I reserved the locker with my room key, then scanned my EP to 'retrieve' my stuff. Imagine my moment of panic when the second locker opened and there was nothing inside! Showing my age, it was like Geraldo Rivera opening Al Capone's vault.

I now find it easier to just use my room key every time - it's easier to remember that the room key opens 'doors'... to the room and to the locker. ;)
Lanyards with clear pouches are pretty common at Universal for the above reasons. Put your room key barcode facing out on one side, and your park pass barcode facing out on the other. Easier than having to dig things out of your pocket over and over.

Thanks for all that info, very helpful!!! I assume when I go to the resort will I basically exchange my printed park ticket for a wallet sized ticket or will I need to show the one I printed out at the park gates?

Thanks for all that info, very helpful!!! I assume when I go to the resort will I basically exchange my printed park ticket for a wallet sized ticket or will I need to show the one I printed out at the park gates?
I'm not 100% sure on that one, but certainly ask - the wallet sized ticket is MUCH more user friendly. We always see folks struggling trying to get the home printed versions to scan at the gate.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter