Light Sensetive Epilepsy

FLORIDA FANATIC

Earning My Ears
We will be travelling to Disney World with a relative who suffers from light sensetive epilepsy, (flashing lights etc), the condition is under control with medication.
However, are there any rides or attractions which I should avoid in case an attack is brought on ?:confused:

My DD also has epilespy and hasn't had a problem with lights, but I do have a list somewhere I think that lists the rides with lights. The ones I can think of offhand are Buzz Lightyear toward the last part of the ride and the Maelstrom Ride in Norway has some flashing white lights. I'll look when I get home.
What my DD has had a problem with is getting dehydrated, which lowers the threshold for seizures. So tell her to be careful not to get dehydrated.

Don't know if it was the lights or not but it happened right after some lights flashed to somebody during the Tiki Room when we were there one time.
This was the new management show in 1998 so they may have changed things. Be sure to ask before seeing this show, just in case.
I never would have suspected anything during this show until I saw it happen to someone and then thought about the lights flashing, etc.

You are right, Tammy. The Tiki room has some lights flashing to simulate lightning when the Tiki gods are angry. That happens in the new revision too.
I didn't have time to look for my list yet, but we may come up with a pretty good list if each person who reads this can add one or two.
One I thought of, in Alien Encounter, there are some "flashlights" up above you and there are some flashes of light. They aren't a regular sequence of lights, it's pretty random. But it's very dark when all of a sudden a light blinks on and moves around.

I have a question, my DS has epilespy due to a pediatric stroke. He seems to have them at nightime during sleep, but with his condition they can happen any time without a trigger. I am not going to Disneyworld this year, but on the cruise. I am concerned about flying and we a doing a submarine excerision. What concerns me is the changes in altitude. Has anyone heard if they can trigger seizures???

I've never heard of changes in altitude causing seaizures.

My son had a in utero stroke and I was concerned about flying for him. Not only for seizures but because he was diagnosed with hydranencephaly (extreme porencephaly) which means he has cerebral spinal fluid in place of brain tissue. So I was worried about the pressure on the rest of his brain from the fluid. All of his doctors told me not to worry that flying in an airplane doesn't affect the pressure in ones head. Also I asked about if seizures are more common with flying and they had told me no. The stress of traveling and somnetimes dehydrating on long flights seem to lower a persons threshold for seizures but it is not directly connected with flying. As long as the person is well rested and propperly nourished there should be no problems. For the record my son has flown 3 times already and he is only 3. twice to Orlando and once to Georgia. He thinks he is a pro now. He has no fear of the plane and sits wonderfully. It is actually relaxing to travel with him. Sometimes if we are sitting on the tarmac he gets antsy for the plane to take off but every flight home he slept the entire time and one orlando trip he slept on the way there. Couldn't get easier than that.

So talk it over with your doc but I think you DS will be aok flying :)

My daughter has a severe seizure condition and she has flown twice with no problems from Texas to Orlando. I don't think you will have a problem on the plane unless it is coincidental.

3DisneyNuts: Chrissy says to tell Chris hello! We will miss you in Orlando in October at the disability conference!

Angela

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter