Light sabers...worth the money?

^^ I agree, $200+ seems pricey for a toy that will likely break when your child smacks it into a wall or the side of your house and won't last any longer then the $20 version. However, the answer probably depends on whether you are in the: 1) pinch pennies to afford a Disney trip or 2) money is no object club level crowd......LOL. Seems to be a mixture of those 2 groups on this site.

I don't think that's true. It is a huge expense for us but it means the world to our kids who believe 100% that the force is real and that they really are going to Batuu through a portal built in HS (they think there's another portal to the same place in DL) to get real lighsabers--their theory is they are just encased in plastic because Disney knows it would be unsafe to give visitors ones that could hurt people (just like they actually believe they go to all the countries in Epcot, and are meeting the "real" characters--what can I say, my kids are true believers at heart). And so we have been letting them earn the money in $1-5 increments through chores. They've been working on it for months. We are not made of money, and we know it might get broken, but the magic and the memories are what we are paying for, not the toy itself.

The only issue I had was (during the AP review) was when we entered-we were given a card with the time to go to Savi's to build. Entered at 10:15 am for a 10:30 build time- was a little challenging carrying that bad boy all over the land for the rest of the day.

The only issue I had was (during the AP review) was when we entered-we were given a card with the time to go to Savi's to build. Entered at 10:15 am for a 10:30 build time- was a little challenging carrying that bad boy all over the land for the rest of the day.

Could have had it delivered to your resort or the front of the park.....

Last time we were there, several years ago, my husband went through the build your own lightsaber queue at the gift shop and had a great time - except they were out of some of the parts shown on the examples. We were told to check at one of the shops in Tomorrowland, which we did, but they were also out of a lot of parts. He came home with a neat lightsaber but the hilt pieces rattle due to a missing cog or something. We were hoping to find this missing part on our upcoming December trip. Does this activity even still exist at the parks? Or are we going to have to find an after-market 3-D printed piece to fill in?

We'd both love to spring for the new ones but they were already booked up by the time we committed to this trip. We'll save the money and try again on a future trip.

Last time we were there, several years ago, my husband went through the build your own lightsaber queue at the gift shop and had a great time - except they were out of some of the parts shown on the examples. We were told to check at one of the shops in Tomorrowland, which we did, but they were also out of a lot of parts. He came home with a neat lightsaber but the hilt pieces rattle due to a missing cog or something. We were hoping to find this missing part on our upcoming December trip. Does this activity even still exist at the parks? Or are we going to have to find an after-market 3-D printed piece to fill in?

We'd both love to spring for the new ones but they were already booked up by the time we committed to this trip. We'll save the money and try again on a future trip.

There’s still a build your own at the exit to Star Tours and Disney Springs. Not sure about Tomorrowland.

Last time we were there, several years ago, my husband went through the build your own lightsaber queue at the gift shop and....

Not the same, those are basically a flashlight.....I did see in the gift shop in Epcot kids indeed having fun building one and this is a def cheaper way to go if you do have several kids....

Not the same, those are basically a flashlight.....I did see in the gift shop in Epcot kids indeed having fun building one and this is a def cheaper way to go if you do have several kids....

Well, no, no kids or grandkids for us. *We* are our kids! And big SF/Star Wars fans. Husband was impressed with the "swoosh" sound those sabers made, unlike the cheaper versions we'd encountered before. Since that last trip we've seen some of the high-end sabers available online which are also very impressive but seemed a bit pricey for our needs. The new build experience, while actually more expensive than some of those, is also an *experience* so we'd consider it if we can get in next time we go.

Seeing them in person it’s a resounding no! Although o kept hearing YOLO which I’ve never heard before meaning you only live once...

Also to me the experience isn’t dynamic enough if it was super involved it would be interesting it just appears to be a lighting show with a Yoda voice over not even a hologram.

Again the kids are saying YOLO so your mileage may vary I have my little $10 dollar ones that I take photos with and they were awesome

Well, I'm no kid.. (Granted my wife would disagree) I LOVED it.. I do wish I would've trusted it would be a great experience without watching videos to see what it was all about.. I thought it was going to be the cheap plastic lightsabers.. No, I'm sorry, but these are IMO pretty well built.. There are a few videos out there people testing them in dueling, and they were impressed.. Now, do read that as they are not breakable, I'm sure they are. If I hadnt watched, I probably wouldnt have paid, but I did, and I did. I knew what to expect and yes, that took some of the experience out of it. I am glad I did the saber and my wife had a good time with her droid. They are in line with other "sabers" out there, and this you have the ease of changing your color and sound just by buying the other crystals (which is really cool feature). And those crystals will also work in the holocrons (which I DOUBT I'll ever get). So..... If you are a SW fan, not a crazy fan but if you really enjoy it, I'd say go for it.. I'd also suggest getting 2 of the spira gift cards (while they have them) and pay with that.. A) it adds to the immersion, and B) you'll have a couple cool keepsakes, or if you dont scratch the back oif them off, sell them on ebay for $20-25 and get some of your money back. Also, when you DO decide to do it, make sure you take someone to video it for you..

Well, no, no kids or grandkids for us. *We* are our kids! And big SF/Star Wars fans. Husband was impressed with the "swoosh" sound those sabers made, unlike the cheaper versions we'd encountered before. Since that last trip we've seen some of the high-end sabers available online which are also very impressive but seemed a bit pricey for our needs. The new build experience, while actually more expensive than some of those, is also an *experience* so we'd consider it if we can get in next time we go.
From what I've seen maybe the 'basic' versions of some of the online are cheaper, but I've seen well above these prices, AND you cant change those colors I dont think..

does anyone know if they let a child with a Saavi's light saber use it for Jedi Training?

My fiance and I can't wait to make our own lightsabers! I think the people who have too many extra people not building need to find people like us. We're a party of two, making two lightsabers, so we have two spots of non builders not being used. I'd definitely bring someone's spouse or kid along and stand by their group inside so they got to be there.
Mostly my big question is how long are the blades when not attached? I've seen 31" (online and on the WDW website) but I've also seen 36". 31 I might be able to fight in my luggage, 36 is going to be a problem. I have another year to collect data but I like to know everything about everything going into it and prepping for how to get that from FL to CA beforehand is important. I'll just carryon my hilt and my droid.
2 lightsabers, 2 droids, 2 holocrons, and at least one of every kyber crystal color available. Plus many droid additions (he wants the R2 series and it has so many extra bits). We're easily spending 1k in SWGE. But we're childfree, and it's going to be our honeymoon. He likes SW well enough, and I cry when the theme music starts playing. So it's totally worth it for us.

Thanks for the tip. I had not thought bout that. MY DS and I are doing the lightsaber and I would love for my DW to be able to experience that. I will just ask around when we go in. Thanks again. I can not wait til December

Seeing them in person it’s a resounding no! Although o kept hearing YOLO which I’ve never heard before meaning you only live once...

Also to me the experience isn’t dynamic enough if it was super involved it would be interesting it just appears to be a lighting show with a Yoda voice over not even a hologram.

Again the kids are saying YOLO so your mileage may vary I have my little $10 dollar ones that I take photos with and they were awesome

NOT THE SAME!!!!! :darth:

The Savi's lightsaber are really well thought out as to the ability to swap out the parts and most of the parts are metal adding some serious weight to them and picking them up one can tell they are far from just a toy but a higher end, quality souvenir. They have nothing in common to the $10 flashlights, IMHO.

The experience is MUCH, MUCH more then "a lighting show with a Yoda voice", it was VERY dynamic and moving, if you will. From the time you walk up to the shop and seeing the BIG BLUE flag, and when you choose what kind of saber to build, then the march into the shop, to when the gatherers walk in, to the ability to feel what crystal picks you, to the build itself and the story of the lightsaber and the kyber crystal, and the music, the lighting, to the actual build and the anticipation of seeing finished , then everyone turning on each lightsaber, then picking them up, in that dark, quite almost hypnotic room, wow. I say this again, it was by far the best experience I ever had in a theme park and far from those cheap plastic flashlights. After it was all done I could feel my pulse and the excitement of the event, so much fun! And you are right YMMV but to shoot it down without experiencing it, is blasphemy! :eek:

:thanks:

:wave2:

As @MarkinNM has mentioned, the actual experience of building the lightsaber is really the draw, and then having a personalized one that you made is what it's all about it. If all you're looking to do is have a fake lightsaber souvenier there are definitely cheaper and easier options, and I wouldn't tell someone to pay $200 if that's all they're looking to do.

As @MarkinNM has mentioned, the actual experience of building the lightsaber is really the draw, and then having a personalized one that you made is what it's all about it. If all you're looking to do is have a fake lightsaber souvenier there are definitely cheaper and easier options, and I wouldn't tell someone to pay $200 if that's all they're looking to do.

Is that not what it is....?

From what I've seen maybe the 'basic' versions of some of the online are cheaper, but I've seen well above these prices, AND you cant change those colors I dont think..
We own 3 utlrasabers. Ther were $120-$150 each and don't have sound or change colors. You can buy parts to do both, but adding sound puts you well over $200, and the new emitters to change color aren't cheap. The upside to ultrasbers or comparable is that you can fully customize your sound via a multitiude of downloadable sound fonts, and can have it set up to flash a secondary color when the blade contacts something (flash on clash). I also thing that the custom sabers are a little more authentic because you can add real leather to your hilt, rather than have it embossed on the metal, and add the actual versions of other accents as well.

All that being said, we will get at least 2 sabers form savi's next trip so that all 3 of us can go through the experience.

Is that not what it is....?
Lol, you've kind of missed the point, again. The end product after everything is said and done is that you walk away with a fake lightsaber that you yourself have customized. It's unique to you and means something to you. The experience of building it is part of that $200 package though. So you aren't JUST buying a fake lightsaber.

The Droid Depot, on the other hand, really is just about the fake droid you built. There isn't a whole lot of experience to it, and certainly nothing as unique and special like Savi's. Savi's workshop won't appeal to everyone, and it is pricey. But of everyone I've talked to that has done it, they've enjoyed it immensely.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!