Lift & Shift or FCC Under Cruise With Confidence?

Carolynleanne

Canadian Disney mom
We've got a May sailing out of NYC scheduled for next Spring. We aren't feeling super confident about that location or cruising in general, but are more than happy to rebook for the following year (2022.) Problem is, the following year is a lower class ship we aren't super keen on. Going from Oasis to Anthem seems kind of... blah.

Should we just cancel under Cruise with Confidence, take our credit, and wait for another sailing we like the looks of? Then we can do ANY itinerary. I worry that prices will skyrocket though and that IS the benefit of the Lift & Shift. Oy.

Would love your thoughts!

We're booked for June 2021 to Alaska, so I'm in a similar boat (except its Serenade of the Seas). Right now, I think we'll wait to see how everything goes this year. I'll probably start really evaluating the value of "lift and shift" for us in mid-July.

Worst case scenario, August 1st passes and we can "only" cancel up to 48 hours in advance for the credit. It's still better than being subject to the change/cancellation fees we agreed to, when we booked.

I don't really expect prices to go up in any significant way. I think it's more likely that they'll end up extending the "lift and shift" as the virus spreads.

We used the Lift &Shift to move from a July 2020 Freedom S. Caribbean to July 2021 E. Caribbean on Symphony. Saved thousands of dollars and very happy, but I was surprised how full the ships are already for next summer. It took hours on the phone and the wonderful customer service rep had to search through several ships and dates to find any connecting cabins available in our categories. She said the early July sailings were almost fully booked for all cabin types.

As of Sunday, you can now change your cruise to any itinerary without having to pay the $100 pp change fee. They will apply whatever deposit you paid to the new cruise, but you will have to pay the difference in port fees/taxes. When I looked, the 2022 rates seemed comparable to 2021. It is a bit of a gamble to see if the rules about price matching stay through 2022.

We've got a May sailing out of NYC scheduled for next Spring. We aren't feeling super confident about that location or cruising in general, but are more than happy to rebook for the following year (2022.) Problem is, the following year is a lower class ship we aren't super keen on. Going from Oasis to Anthem seems kind of... blah.

Should we just cancel under Cruise with Confidence, take our credit, and wait for another sailing we like the looks of? Then we can do ANY itinerary. I worry that prices will skyrocket though and that IS the benefit of the Lift & Shift. Oy.

Would love your thoughts!
We have been out of Bayonne 3 times, twice on the Anthem. We love that ship! It’s great for cold weather cruising, so much to do inside. The Sportsplex has multiple activities from bumper cars to roller skating. There is also the skydiving simulator. I would not consider that a downgrade in ships at all. Oasis has been probable my least favorite ship and we’ve been on everything from Majesty to the big ones. I likes Allure better than Oasis but would probable say my favorites are a tie between Anthem and Freedom Class ships.

We have been out of Bayonne 3 times, twice on the Anthem. We love that ship! It’s great for cold weather cruising, so much to do inside. The Sportsplex has multiple activities from bumper cars to roller skating. There is also the skydiving simulator. I would not consider that a downgrade in ships at all. Oasis has been probable my least favorite ship and we’ve been on everything from Majesty to the big ones. I likes Allure better than Oasis but would probable say my favorites are a tie between Anthem and Freedom Class ships.
Thank you! We went ahead and shifted it :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!