Life as a Tri-pawd

Thank you, everyone. It really was a surprise since she seems to be doing so well and is her normal self. The hardest part was telling the kids. They are 19, 16, and 13 and Katy has been in their life as long as they remember (she'll be 11 on 1/24). I've had to say good-bye to pets in the past, but I have never had to say good-bye to my children's pet if that makes sense? It is going to be so hard. I came home and threw myself into my business tax return to numb my mind! Nothing numbs your mind more than taxes!

Thank you, everyone. It really was a surprise since she seems to be doing so well and is her normal self. The hardest part was telling the kids. They are 19, 16, and 13 and Katy has been in their life as long as they remember (she'll be 11 on 1/24). I've had to say good-bye to pets in the past, but I have never had to say good-bye to my children's pet if that makes sense? It is going to be so hard. I came home and threw myself into my business tax return to numb my mind! Nothing numbs your mind more than taxes!
I hear ya, it's just such a tough situation all around. How long until you can talk to the doctor about options?

I hear ya, it's just such a tough situation all around. How long until you can talk to the doctor about options?
She will call after she talks to the vets at K State. Katy had the amp at K State and they have the full pathology report there to see how aggressive the tumor was. I am hoping to hear from her tomorrow, but she didn't say specifically.

Dr. Teter just emailed. She said K State recommended trying a
med called Palladia which is an oral chemo pill. From Google, it
sounds like it's pricey but Dr. Teter is checking for me. Katy would
need some routine urine and blood test every 2 weeks and then X-rays
again at 6 weeks to see if it is working at all. Will probably give it
a shot for at least 6 weeks and see what happens.

How are things going for your pup now that you're a few weeks out and past that first chemo Sara?

We made the decision to forgo the Palladia after balancing the side effects/cost with the reality of what it can actually do. We are focusing on quality now instead of quantity of time. We are going to start a combo of the chemo med cyclophosphamide and Carprofen as a daily dose. It is far cheaper and has helped some dogs. There won't really be any side effects so that is good. It was a hard decision to make. We had to order the meds and are waiting on the mail. Hopefully tomorrow or Saturday. Katy is already on the Carprofen part of it.

Katy seems to have slowed down a bit this past week. She hasn't played with my other dog at all no matter how much he bugs her. She doesn't want to go down the basement steps to go out in the backyard either so we've stuck to going out front. She will go up the stairs at night for bed but it is a slow trip. She's been sleeping a lot too. Seems happy, has a good appetite, and not in any pain though. Her birthday is next Thursday and birthday cake is her very favorite food. Usually, she gets a cupcake, this year she's getting a cake! ;)

How are things going for your pup now that you're a few weeks out and past that first chemo Sara?

We made the decision to forgo the Palladia after balancing the side effects/cost with the reality of what it can actually do. We are focusing on quality now instead of quantity of time. We are going to start a combo of the chemo med cyclophosphamide and Carprofen as a daily dose. It is far cheaper and has helped some dogs. There won't really be any side effects so that is good. It was a hard decision to make. We had to order the meds and are waiting on the mail. Hopefully tomorrow or Saturday. Katy is already on the Carprofen part of it.

Katy seems to have slowed down a bit this past week. She hasn't played with my other dog at all no matter how much he bugs her. She doesn't want to go down the basement steps to go out in the backyard either so we've stuck to going out front. She will go up the stairs at night for bed but it is a slow trip. She's been sleeping a lot too. Seems happy, has a good appetite, and not in any pain though. Her birthday is next Thursday and birthday cake is her very favorite food. Usually, she gets a cupcake, this year she's getting a cake! ;)
Hey there - happy to report she’s still doing really well! Our 2nd chemo appt is this upcoming Tuesday. Keeping my fingers crossed that we’ll have the same experience as before.

That must have been an agonizing decision, but I’m glad you guys were able to get something that will help Katy. Appetite and rest are all good things I think!

Please wish her a happy birthday from me and Ciara and give her as much cake as she wants!

Just a thought, but could it be that she's just not feeling well on the chemo? Everyone (speaking generally) seems to want to say that there are no side effects, but I find that hard to believe, having gone through chemo myself. Dogs just can't tell us about them. Effects can be subtle. There were days I felt like a 90 year old walking to the bathroom. I couldn't help thinking about that as I was reading the bolded.

Just a thought, but could it be that she's just not feeling well on the chemo? Everyone (speaking generally) seems to want to say that there are no side effects, but I find that hard to believe, having gone through chemo myself. Dogs just can't tell us about them. Effects can be subtle. There were days I felt like a 90 year old walking to the bathroom. I couldn't help thinking about that as I was reading the bolded.

We haven't started the chemo pill yet since we're still waiting on the mail so I know that's not it. Wish it were. :(

Shel, how's it been going with Katy?

I'm in a Starbucks waiting on Ciara do be done with her 2nd chemo appt. The doc says she looks great and her bloodwork was perfect. They seem happy with her progress, which makes me feel a lot better!

Shel, how's it been going with Katy?

I'm in a Starbucks waiting on Ciara do be done with her 2nd chemo appt. The doc says she looks great and her bloodwork was perfect. They seem happy with her progress, which makes me feel a lot better!

That's great to hear that Ciara is doing so well with the chemo. We breezed through that too. It's so hard to think it can be so easy for them when we see human chemo as so hard on people. I wonder why it is so different for dogs?

Sadly, things seem to be progressing really fast here. Every day Katy gets weaker and weaker. She still has a good appetite though. I had a really hard time getting her to come up to bed last night. I think last night was probably her last night sleeping in our room. :( It's been hard to get her outside today too. She is just so weak and unsteady on her feet. She still is smiling and loving the cuddles and pets though. We have a cake ordered for her birthday on Thursday. I am praying she can enjoy it. We started the chemo pill on Saturday but I think it's probably useless at this point. I am considering not giving it to her tomorrow. She was getting weaker before we started it so I don't that's what is causing the weakness, but I don't think it's helping at all.

That's great to hear that Ciara is doing so well with the chemo. We breezed through that too. It's so hard to think it can be so easy for them when we see human chemo as so hard on people. I wonder why it is so different for dogs?

Sadly, things seem to be progressing really fast here. Every day Katy gets weaker and weaker. She still has a good appetite though. I had a really hard time getting her to come up to bed last night. I think last night was probably her last night sleeping in our room. :( It's been hard to get her outside today too. She is just so weak and unsteady on her feet. She still is smiling and loving the cuddles and pets though. We have a cake ordered for her birthday on Thursday. I am praying she can enjoy it. We started the chemo pill on Saturday but I think it's probably useless at this point. I am considering not giving it to her tomorrow. She was getting weaker before we started it so I don't that's what is causing the weakness, but I don't think it's helping at all.
You know her better than anyone else, and anything you choose will be for her best interest. I'm sorry she's feeling this way. Please keep us updated when you can. Hugs to you all!

We celebrated Katy's 11th birthday tonight. She's been really weak these past couple days but she pepped up for her cake! Buttercream frosting is the food she adores most in the world!

50469267_10216630357298713_3354944356728438784_n.jpg

Just wanted to touch base. Katy has been weaker but really took a turn yesterday. She won't stand at all. We talked to the vet and she thinks it sounds like the cancer has spread to one of her back legs, probably at the sight of her Cruciate injury/surgical spot. She won't eat her food today but will still take her cheese with a hidden pill. The vet prescribed Tylenol/Codeine for pain in addition to the Carfrofen and we have an appt tomorrow to take her in. She'll look at her leg, but there's really nothing that can be done and Katy is in pain so we are going to the appt. with the reality that Katy most likely won't be coming home with us.

I have a mattress on the living room floor set up next to her and I am just laying next her and working so she's not alone. It feels like my heart is literally breaking. My family too. It's been very hard having to talk with my teens about whether they want to come along or not. We're all going to go. My daughter (16) wants to be in the room. My boys (19) and (13) are thinking no but will go to the waiting room in case they change their mind at the last minute. She has been such an integral part of their childhood and it is hard to close this chapter for our family.

Just wanted to touch base. Katy has been weaker but really took a turn yesterday. She won't stand at all. We talked to the vet and she thinks it sounds like the cancer has spread to one of her back legs, probably at the sight of her Cruciate injury/surgical spot. She won't eat her food today but will still take her cheese with a hidden pill. The vet prescribed Tylenol/Codeine for pain in addition to the Carfrofen and we have an appt tomorrow to take her in. She'll look at her leg, but there's really nothing that can be done and Katy is in pain so we are going to the appt. with the reality that Katy most likely won't be coming home with us.

I have a mattress on the living room floor set up next to her and I am just laying next her and working so she's not alone. It feels like my heart is literally breaking. My family too. It's been very hard having to talk with my teens about whether they want to come along or not. We're all going to go. My daughter (16) wants to be in the room. My boys (19) and (13) are thinking no but will go to the waiting room in case they change their mind at the last minute. She has been such an integral part of their childhood and it is hard to close this chapter for our family.

Sending you, Katy, and your family hugs and positive thoughts.

I'm so sorry Shel. I'm thinking of all of you and Katy. Please let us know in a few days how you're doing. She's a beautiful girl, and I'm sure she knows how much you all love her. :grouphug:

Aww, I’m sorry to hear this. :grouphug:
Many of us know that awful feeling.

If it should come to that, you can ask the vet to give her a sedative first. We’ve done it both ways (with and without) and I much prefer it with.

Will be thinking of you tomorrow.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!