Life After Marathons: A Running/barre3/Coffee/Life Journal

I read the DisneyBound book today, and it had a really big impact on me. Yes, it's about DisneyBounding and how to do it (with lots of examples), but more than that, it's about embracing your personal style and expressing yourself through fashion, not just wearing what's expected.

I think I've spent a decent amount of time in my life wearing what I think others with think looks good on me or what someone else thinks is right for me, and while sometimes that's clothing that fits who I am, it isn't always. So I think I'm going to spend some time over the next few weeks going through my closet and figure out which clothing feels like it fits who I am and which doesn't really. As of right now, there's no plan to get rid of anything, but if I have it separated out, then I'll wear the clothing that fits who I am more often, and then I'll feel comfortable in my clothing more often.

I'm probably doing this a bit later in life than I should, but over the last few years I've really found myself on a journey to discover who I am outside of the expectations of others, and this feels like a natural evolution of that journey.

Also ... thinking I'm gonna DisneyBound Space Mountain CM for my second runDisney virtual 5K. Still not entirely sure what I'm doing for the first one, though.
I can relate to this. I only feel confident and happy in very specific clothing, and any time I’m forced to wear something else due to religious reasons or business expectations, I feel awful. I remember crying when I saw myself in the mirror after a friend gave me a makeover when I was 15.

I like your sorting idea. Do what makes you comfortable!

I read an article this weekend that said a lot of NYC companies were looking to go completely remote or at least reduce their office footprint significantly. They mainly referenced finance companies but it was interesting to us since my husband works in finance. My husband does not want to be fully remote, but he already works from home pre-covid 1 day a week so he would be open to 3 days art home and 2 in the office if that is what they went to. My sister's company is talking about remote work till January. It is crazy to me. My job hasn't really announced what they plan to do yet. We will go back to the office at some point as totally remote is not an option, but I am hoping for a little more flexibility as previously we never worked remote, but I definitely need to go back as I couldn't just work from home.
I think there are going to be some big changes that come out of this. I think my company will probably end up downsizing the office, if not eliminating it completely. There are definitely going to be companies that have never allowed remote work before that will start allowing part-time remote work. I hope you do get some remote options for the future.
We've been doing okay remote. We've been unofficially told that we're remote through the end of the summer most likely, no idea what would happen after that. I'd imagine it depends on what happens with a second wave. Our HQ is in NYC but we have people who work remotely throughout the country so I'd imagine company-wide travel restrictions will probably be in place for a while.

No way to know what will happen over the next few months ... but I think I've had enough of "unprecedented times"

I can relate to this. I only feel confident and happy in very specific clothing, and any time I’m forced to wear something else due to religious reasons or business expectations, I feel awful. I remember crying when I saw myself in the mirror after a friend gave me a makeover when I was 15.

I like your sorting idea. Do what makes you comfortable!

Yeah. I think clothing is used as a weapon sometimes and it's not cool. I understand that there are certain norms, but people should be free to wear whatever makes them feel most comfortable and most empowered. Clothing can and should be used as a way to help people feel more comfortable being themselves - and I'm hoping to do that with my wardrobe over the coming days/weeks/months.

Forgot to mention this ... my mom found a Disneyland brochure from 1976. I'm very excited to see it when I'm back at the house next week.

(My mom has no idea where it's from ... she went to Disneyland in 1973, not 1976)

Also ... my dad does not understand virtual races.

COVID-19 Wellness Focus - Week "Day Drinking" - May 18th - May 24th, 2020

Monday:
  • 6.44 mi run, 1:26:40 hours, 13:27 min/mi avg pace
Tuesday:
  • barre3 with Vicky Livestream - 60-minute class
  • barre3/Outdoor Voice Workout on Instagram with Christa Joy - 30-minute class (of which I only did about 25 because work stress ...)
Wednesday:
  • barre3 with Lauren Livestream - 60-minute class
  • 3.18 mile run, 40:55 minutes, 12:51 min/mi avg pace
Thursday:
  • barre3 with Kelly Livestream - 60-minute class
Friday:
  • barre3 with Amanda Livestream - 60-minute class
  • barre3 Live on Instagram with Babette - 20-minute class
Saturday:
  • Rest Day
Sunday:
  • barre3 with Vicky Livestream - 60 minute class

Total Running:
2 runs, 9.62 miles, 2:07:35 hours

Total barre3:
5 Livestream classes
2 Instagram classes
Total time: ~ 5:45 hours

Healthy Eating:
I think I'm getting a little better. Although I did have a pizza + beer night one night this week (I was in the mood for pizza and my friend had just dropped off some beers from Brooklyn), so there's that...

Life:
It's weird that things are starting to reopen, because I don't see much in my life changing all too soon. Still gonna WFH for a while. Still probably gonna stick with mostly online grocery shopping because it's convenient. Gonna be back at the house for a few days, which will be a change, but since I likely won't be leaving the house much ... not that much of a change.
Yeah.

So ... I think I figured out a course for my first runDisney Virtual 5K. From me to the Alice in Wonderland statue (in Central Park) to a tea place called Alice's Tea Cup (which is closed, but the awning is all I need for a picture) back to the apartment ... total distance is around 3.3 miles, but really, what race isn't a little long?

Now I just need to figure out an outfit and when I want to do it.

Forgot to mention this ... my mom found a Disneyland brochure from 1976. I'm very excited to see it when I'm back at the house next week.

(My mom has no idea where it's from ... she went to Disneyland in 1973, not 1976)

Also ... my dad does not understand virtual races.

I actually have the Disneyland 1973 brochure. I went with my Mom as part of a XC trip from MA-- most unusual given our financial situation. She saved it with other items from that trip and I took them after she died.

I actually have the Disneyland 1973 brochure. I went with my Mom as part of a XC trip from MA-- most unusual given our financial situation. She saved it with other items from that trip and I took them after she died.

Very cool! Nice that your mom saved stuff from that trip and you have it now.
My mom went out to California when she was in her 20s for the wedding of a family friend, and her friend took her to Disneyland. I've seen pictures, but no brochure. So I'm interested to see what this brochure looks like ... my dad says it mentions ticket books. An E-ticket was 90 cents.

Very cool! Nice that your mom saved stuff from that trip and you have it now.
My mom went out to California when she was in her 20s for the wedding of a family friend, and her friend took her to Disneyland. I've seen pictures, but no brochure. So I'm interested to see what this brochure looks like ... my dad says it mentions ticket books. An E-ticket was 90 cents.

I took pictures a while back of the entire album and posted it to Facebook. I set this album as public. Try this link:

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.2421086134619990&type=3
If for some reason it doesn't work, I can find another way to get them to you.

Last edited:
COVID-19 Wellness Focus - Week "Same Nothing, Different Place" - May 25th - May 31st, 2020

Monday:
  • 7.17 mi run, 1:40:52 hours, 14:03 min/mi avg pace
Tuesday:
  • barre3 with Vicky Livestream - 60-minute class
  • 35 minute (1.86 mi) walk
Wednesday:
  • 2.85 mile run, 37:01 minutes, 12:59 min/mi avg pace - actually ran without the mask for about 0.5 miles and it was glorious
Thursday:
Friday:
  • Rest Day
Saturday:
  • Rest Day
Sunday:

Total Running:
2 runs, 10.02 miles, 2:17:53 hours

Total barre3:
3 Livestream classes
Total time: ~ 3 hours

Total Walking:
1 walk, 35 minutes

Wow this was an off-ish week...

Healthy Eating:
Been better. I was at the house for a few days (yay family), and I feel like sometimes I eat more there. But we did so much grocery shopping and I get to do meal planning today and hopefully I'll have some good healthy meals this week. Plus, I got a family pack of salmon for a pretty good price (less than I pay for the frozen at costco), so good protein for a while!

Life:
It's hard to think about life while the world is on fire. On the one hand, I hope this opens up more people's eyes to the systemic racism that exists in this country and the impact it has on the black community. On the other hand ... it's hard to watch all of this happen. And I'm not optimistic enough to think things will change. I've been crying a lot lately. We should be recovering right now, not rioting. I hate that we live in a world where the color of someone's skin determines whether or not they have the right to live.

Also ... thinking I'm gonna DisneyBound Space Mountain CM for my second runDisney virtual 5K. Still not entirely sure what I'm doing for the first one, though.
I'm very curious to see what a DisneyBound Space Mountain would look like.
I'm really starting to feel isolated. I've never been someone who really had friends, but I've always had people I talk to when I see them, but since I'm not seeing those people ... I'm not really talking to anyone. It's tough and I'm starting to feel isolated. Everyone says "reach out to someone..." except that I don't have anyone I would feel comfortable reaching out to. So I'm doing my best to stay connected with the people I do still interact with somewhat and trying to be better about taking advantage of random opportunities to safely be around people when I can.
I'm usually pretty reserved and private myself and am starting to feel these effects myself. And I'm fortunate in that my work routine remains by and large the same, so I am interacting regularly with my co workers and such. But still it begins to take its toll when I can't go to church each Sunday and see my friends at Church.
It's hard to think about life while the world is on fire. On the one hand, I hope this opens up more people's eyes to the systemic racism that exists in this country and the impact it has on the black community. On the other hand ... it's hard to watch all of this happen. And I'm not optimistic enough to think things will change. I've been crying a lot lately. We should be recovering right now, not rioting. I hate that we live in a world where the color of someone's skin determines whether or not they have the right to live.
These really are such challenging times. My little brother is a police officer and is thankfully on a lengthy family vacation when all this stuff is happening right now. It's so sad that so many good people are being judged solely on the the color of their skin and not the content of their character as Dr. King said and so troubling that so many good and honorable police officers are being judged by the actions of a very small number who in no way, shape, or form represent the people who work hard to keep us safe. Challenging times indeed.

I do believe that the way we can be better is to see in each other all the things that we have in common and get past such superficial differences. Love and kindness will win out. We just have to do our part to ensure that we do our best to treat others with love and kindness.

I'm very curious to see what a DisneyBound Space Mountain would look like.
Plan is the CM outfit, which I can't find a picture of at the moment. But now I'm thinking if maybe I should just wear all white and put a cone-shaped thing on my head and see if anyone gets it.

I'm usually pretty reserved and private myself and am starting to feel these effects myself. And I'm fortunate in that my work routine remains by and large the same, so I am interacting regularly with my co workers and such. But still it begins to take its toll when I can't go to church each Sunday and see my friends at Church.
Yeah. I'm still seeing my teammates a lot because all of our regular meetings have become video meetings (they actually always were somewhat because we're remote-friendly and actually have some full-time remote people). But I haven't seen the inside of a synagogue in about 3 months and I haven't seen most of my neighborhood friends in even longer (because I was in Florida then only saw a few people when I was back and then went to my parents for a week and then everything closed). It's tough.

These really are such challenging times. My little brother is a police officer and is thankfully on a lengthy family vacation when all this stuff is happening right now. It's so sad that so many good people are being judged solely on the the color of their skin and not the content of their character as Dr. King said and so troubling that so many good and honorable police officers are being judged by the actions of a very small number who in no way, shape, or form represent the people who work hard to keep us safe. Challenging times indeed.
Yeah. My perspective on this is definitely colored by the fact that I live in a city where the cops are known to have a racism problem. And if NYC, which is such a diverse city, has a police racism problem, it's hard to imagine that other cities wouldn't. But I do know that there are a lot of good cops out there, particularly ones who call out the racism and discrimination when they see it, even though it could cause a lot of problems for them, and I hate that we've gotten to a point where many people don't trust the police because the "bad" ones and "good" ones (for lack of better terms) wear the same uniform.

I do believe that the way we can be better is to see in each other all the things that we have in common and get past such superficial differences. Love and kindness will win out. We just have to do our part to ensure that we do our best to treat others with love and kindness.
So true. Now especially. We need to listen. We need to respond with kindness. We need to share our stories, find our common ground, and celebrate our differences instead of using them as weapons. We need to learn to love our differences, not fear them. I have seen a lot of kindness throughout the protests - people along the routes passing out water, people harboring protesters in their homes after curfew, healthcare workers applauding the protesters, people trying to find calm solutions to disagreements, protesters protecting stores from looting ... it's easy to see the negatives of what's happening, but seeing all the kindness and good things people do gives me hope.

I love the idea of white and a cone and would probably get a kick out of seeing you run by, but 50/50 I would get it. However, if it makes YOU giggle, that is all that matters about the costume one way or another.

Please continue to find the kindness. It is hard to progress when the negative is overwhelming- which it is more so than usual.

So true. Now especially. We need to listen. We need to respond with kindness. We need to share our stories, find our common ground, and celebrate our differences instead of using them as weapons. We need to learn to love our differences, not fear them. I have seen a lot of kindness throughout the protests - people along the routes passing out water, people harboring protesters in their homes after curfew, healthcare workers applauding the protesters, people trying to find calm solutions to disagreements, protesters protecting stores from looting ... it's easy to see the negatives of what's happening, but seeing all the kindness and good things people do gives me hope.
I read a news article last night where a group of police officers dropped to a knee before a tense protest and it almost immediately defused the situation. What had been tense almost immediately turned into protesters hugging the police and vice versa. Afterwards, many spoke about how much that simple gesture meant to them. I wish it was getting more publicity because it shows exactly the sort of listening you're talking about. Listening and looking for peaceful solutions out of love and kindness will help so much. Racism is an awful and ugly thing. I saw it very up close when I lived in Russia while serving a mission for my church. I know it exists here in America. But I also know that we as a nation are better than we used to be while still having room for improvement. I like how Arizona State football coach Herm Edwards said something to the effect of "We are America. We can be much better." I like how that appealed to, as President Lincoln once said "the better angels of our nature." We are far from a perfect nation, but that does not mean that we cannot work hard to be better. And that begins in our own hearts.

I love the idea of white and a cone and would probably get a kick out of seeing you run by, but 50/50 I would get it. However, if it makes YOU giggle, that is all that matters about the costume one way or another.
Yeah, nobody would get it. I'll probably just end up with a general space theme. I have time to figure it out.
Please continue to find the kindness. It is hard to progress when the negative is overwhelming- which it is more so than usual.

I read a news article last night where a group of police officers dropped to a knee before a tense protest and it almost immediately defused the situation. What had been tense almost immediately turned into protesters hugging the police and vice versa. Afterwards, many spoke about how much that simple gesture meant to them. I wish it was getting more publicity because it shows exactly the sort of listening you're talking about. Listening and looking for peaceful solutions out of love and kindness will help so much. Racism is an awful and ugly thing. I saw it very up close when I lived in Russia while serving a mission for my church. I know it exists here in America. But I also know that we as a nation are better than we used to be while still having room for improvement. I like how Arizona State football coach Herm Edwards said something to the effect of "We are America. We can be much better." I like how that appealed to, as President Lincoln once said "the better angels of our nature." We are far from a perfect nation, but that does not mean that we cannot work hard to be better. And that begins in our own hearts.

I can't speak to whether as a nation we're less racist than we have been in the past because I'm not black. I don't experience racism, so I need to hear the accounts of others to truly see the effects. But I'm listening, and what I'm hearing is that the system doesn't work. And while there are a lot of components to systemic racism, the cops are certainly contributors. I've seen videos of police marching with protesters and while I hate when they start hugging (coronavirus is still a thing!), I think it's beautiful. I've also seen video of NYPD SUVs ramming into protesters. Both sides exist, and it's important to remember that.
The system is broken. I encourage you to listen instead of speaking for a while. Listen to black voices. Hear what they're saying. If you listen, you'll see that racism is something that is alive and well here and not just something that happens in other countries.
If you're really unfamiliar with police racism and how our justice system treats minorities and oppressed people, I suggest you read the book Just Mercy by Bryan Stevenson (it was recently made into a movie, but I haven't seen the movie so I can't speak for that). It's about some of the cases he has handled through his work with the Equal Justice Initiative. I always knew we had a racism problem in the justice system, but some of the stories he tells are truly heartbreaking.

COVID-19 Wellness Focus - Week "Change Must Happen" - June 1st - June 7th, 2020

Monday:
  • 3.11 mi run, 40:32 minutes, 13:02 min/mi avg pace
Tuesday:
  • 16 minute walk
  • Was scheduled for a barre3 class, but class was canceled. I was going to do an online video, but I just never got around to it.
Wednesday:
  • Brooks Find Some Run Happy Virtual 5K - 3.14 mi run, 42:32 min, 13:34 min/mi avg pace
  • JackRabbit Global Running Day Mile - 1.02 mi run, 12:52 min, 12:39 min/mi avg pace
Thursday:
Friday:
  • 2.53 mi run, 33:19 minutes, 13:11 min/mi avg pace
Saturday:
  • Rest Day
Sunday:

Total Running:
3 runs (one was divided into two parts), 9.79 miles, 2:09:17 hours

Total barre3:
2 Livestream classes
Total time: ~ 2 hours

Much lower on the barre3 than usual this week. And I ended up working a lot ... I think the two are connected. Gotta start planning better.

Healthy Eating:
Okay-ish, but a little excessive on the snacking.

Life:
It's been an interesting week. I've been trying to listen. I think the things that come to my attention most frequently tend to be the more extreme versions of things, but I do appreciate the more moderate opinions and answer when I can find them too. I really enjoyed this week's R2C2 podcast because it was very much "here are our experiences" and not "burn it all down", which was a nice change of pace. I think we can all agree that a lot of things have to change. And we're on the way there. I just hope that the energy doesn't fizzle out before we get there.

Also ... I have some work stuff happening and also I'm contemplating returning to distance running ... but we can talk about that later.

Outfit for tomorrow's Mad Tea Party Virtual 5K -
Black and white capris
Red skirt
Black top (actually my 2016 10K top, but that's not relevant)
Yellow headband

Any guesses who I'm DisneyBounding?
Hint #1: It's somewhat related to the theme.
Hint #2: If I had a heart sticker, I would put it somewhere on the outfit

Don't worry if you can't get it. It won't make any more sense once I explain it.
This was all thrown together last minute with whatever I had while I was drinking.

Outfit for tomorrow's Mad Tea Party Virtual 5K -
Black and white capris
Red skirt
Black top (actually my 2016 10K top, but that's not relevant)
Yellow headband

Any guesses who I'm DisneyBounding?
Hint #1: It's somewhat related to the theme.
Hint #2: If I had a heart sticker, I would put it somewhere on the outfit

Don't worry if you can't get it. It won't make any more sense once I explain it.
This was all thrown together last minute with whatever I had while I was drinking.

Alice in Wonderland Queen of Hearts?

I was also going to guess Queen of Hearts as once you said the heart stick I was able to figure it out. Also thank you for the book recommendation. Going to check it out.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter