Life After Marathons: A Running/barre3/Coffee/Life Journal

Princess Half Marathon Training - Week Eight Summary:

Running - 4 runs, total 18.19 miles, 3:47:00 hours
Run #1 - Monday AM - 3.16 miles, 37:10 minutes, 11:46 min/mi avg pace
Run #2 - Wednesday AM - 3.25 miles, 42:40 minutes, 13:07 min/mi avg pace
Run #3 - Thursday PM - Dash 28 at Mile High Run Club - 2.29 miles, 28:33 minutes, 12:27 min/mi avg pace
Run #4 - Sunday AM - 9.49 miles, 1:58:37 hours, 12:30 min/mi avg pace
Good running week! Dash 28 was not my jam, but it was Alanis Morissette themed, so it was fun to run along with some awesome tunes. And the long run went great. A bit longer than it should have been, but oh well.

barre3 - 1 class
Class #1 - Tuesday night with Jenna
This class started off great but I started to feel crappy in the middle, because honestly I suck at barre and why do I even bother. So I decided to cancel Thursday's class and see if I feel a bit better about it after a few days off.

Other Cross Training - 1 class + 1 partial class
Monday AM - FlyBarre - Power 45 with Kathleen (review)
Thursday PM - Strength as part of Dash 28 - Total 15 minutes

Week 9 Plan:
1/27 - Monday: barre3 (PM)
1/28 - Tuesday: Run, 30 minutes, SaltDrop (PM)
1/29 - Wednesday: Run, 45 minutes
1/30 - Thursday: barre3 (AM)
1/31 - Friday: Rest
2/1 - Saturday: Rest
2/2 - Sunday: Run, 50 minutes

Princess Half Marathon Weekend: Costume Update

So ... this thing. On the one hand, I'm always excited for a runDisney trip. On the other hand, things are not going great with the planning and prep (and for some people, training), so there's a lot of stress associated with the trip.

One of the things that is not going great is costumes. Original plan was Pua (me) and Hei Hei (Beth) for the 5K, and the stepsisters for the half. Beth doesn't have the time to deal with assembling costumes (apparently studying takes time or something like that?), so right now I'm kinda assuming I'll do costumes on my own. 5K will still be Pua, because I had already started working on it, but the half is currently undecided.

5K - Pua:
Plan - White top, white capris, pua headband
Need To Figure Out:
-
Skirt (the capris actually have really good pockets, but I still would rather wear a skirt - right now it looks like either my black skirt or buying a new skirt)
- Something to wear under the top (because it's a little see-through)
The capris I bought have light blue and gray flowers (they're actually pretty and I wish I had the patience to post a picture here), so I'd likely go with a grey tank under the white shirt, but I don't have one of those, so ... shopping.

Half - ?????????:
No, seriously, I got nothing.
Well, I got some ideas. But these are just general thoughts:
  • Minnie Mouse
    • Pros: I already have most of the outfit (skirt, capris, short-sleeve shirt, just need a long sleeve in case it's cold)
    • Cons: She's technically not a princess
  • Ariel
    • Pros: I have a mermaid shirt, which I could definitely wear with my black skirt and maybe also with my colorblock skirt (would have to run that second option by my sister and/or mom for fashion approval because I honestly don't think it works)
    • Cons: Meh. I'm not overly excited about the idea, honestly. Plus, if I wear the black skirt, then I need another skirt for Pua.
  • Vanellope
    • Pros: Sparkle Skirts (which isn't Sparkle Skirts anymore) has a brown skirt on sale for $30
    • Cons: I've never work Sparkle Skirts before, so I don't know if they work for me. Also, I'd need to buy the rest of the costume
  • Lucifer (the cat from Cinderella)
    • Pros: It's hysterical. Also, black skirt.
    • Cons: I'd need to buy tops. I was thinking a gray short sleeve top with a black jacket, but a black shirt with gray accents could work too. Although, if the weather is anything like my last princess weekend, black might not be ideal for the half.
NOTE: When reading all this long-sleeve stuff, remember that I'm always cold and will sometimes wear long sleeves when others are wearing sleeveless. My general rule for long runs is long sleeves below 65-70 (it's below 70-75 for shorter runs), but for races I'll sometimes knock that down to 60-65.

As you can see, I don't have much of an idea what I'm doing for the half. Any thoughts? Insight? Inspiration?
Help!

Last edited:
As a Sparkle Skirt wearer, I can say with confidence they'll work for just about anyone. As long as you get the right size, they'll stay put around your waist and won't slide around and cause chafing.

My thoughts which you can do with as you please:
5K- What other shirts do you already have that could be used under the white? A pink or peach or even another white would probably be fine.
Half- I distinctly remember Minnie dressing up as a princess in DL, but it was different than the costume you already have.- pink gown and pink cone hat with a piece of tulle coming off the top. She also appears as a princess in other cartoons (some Mickey Mouse Clubhouse I want to forget exists, and maybe an older cartoon about the three musketeers) If you need to be on Princess theme, I would skip this one unless you are going to revamp the dots you have. If you are not excited for Ariel, move on. If it is the same colorblock skirt as before I think it is not a great match and you will not be happy with it. If you decide this is your best option, use the black and find another skirt for Pua. As for Vanellope, I love this idea, but urge more caution than @FFigawi 's confidence that they are broadly good for all. I was all in to love the sparkle skirts (now boulderwear), but have a hard time getting both the thighs and the waist to work without adding a cord to cinch the waist, which is irritating to me as I wear the pocket in the back. I don't wear the skirts for long runs, but I do for short runs. Everyone said I would be fine and love them. I am fine but do not love them. For costuming I prefer the sparkly skirts and my own shorts. Even then, I found Sparkle Athletic very different than Rock City Skirts and ran the W&D half with the former riding up and twisting around more than I would have liked. Also, if your argument against Minnie is that she is not a princess, same applies here. But I love her and will confess that I laugh when 'Slaughter Race' spools up on my running playlist. Lucifer is a fun idea and strays from the typical princess, so there will be people who will ask you about it. You can decide if that would add to your pre-race stress (in person conversation makes me queasy with nerves). Grey and black tops are abundant, so I think you would have (perhaps too many) options.

As for Vanellope, I love this idea, but urge more caution than @FFigawi 's confidence that they are broadly good for all. I was all in to love the sparkle skirts (now boulderwear), but have a hard time getting both the thighs and the waist to work without adding a cord to cinch the waist, which is irritating to me as I wear the pocket in the back. I don't wear the skirts for long runs, but I do for short runs. Everyone said I would be fine and love them. I am fine but do not love them. For costuming I prefer the sparkly skirts and my own shorts.

Thighs? Pocket? All my Sparkle Skirts are basically sequined tutus I wear over my shorts. Is there another kind?

Thighs? Pocket? All my Sparkle Skirts are basically sequined tutus I wear over my shorts. Is there another kind?
There was a company called SparkleSkirts that sells at the Disney Expo who recently changed their name because it was confusing and people used the term to apply to all sparkling sequined skirts such as those offered by Sparkle Athletic or Rock City Skirts also sold at the expo as well as hundred other places on Etsy. I do prefer the sequined tutu variety (no shorts) and think these are more widely adaptable to all people, but even those seemed to have some variation with sizing between the hip/waist ratio so I have found I need to try before I buy and run to ensure I am not irritated for 80% of the miles.

Okay, just to add some clarification on the skirt:
The skirt I'm looking at is from Bolder Athletic Wear (or something like that), which used to be called Sparkle Skirts. I'm looking at the SwingTall style, which are longer and have shorts underneath. They also make (or made) a sparkly skirt with nothing underneath (I think). Same waistband with pocket.
Sparkle Athletic also makes sparkly skirts. Beth has one of those. They have a thinner waistband and nothing underneath (and should be worn with your favorite shorts/capris/pants because see through).
The brand I normally wear is Running Skirts. I like their golf skirt, but its not cheap.

@TheHamm- thank you for your detailed insight! I have thoughts on what you said and will share them when I'm not fighting autocorrect on my phone.
And Princess Vanellope Von Schweetz is definitely a princess.

And just to throw this out there....

Bolder Athletic makes running capris with skirts attached too.

They also have fitting rooms at the expo if you decide not to buy one beforehand and are curious about how they fit.

As a Sparkle Skirt wearer, I can say with confidence they'll work for just about anyone. As long as you get the right size, they'll stay put around your waist and won't slide around and cause chafing.
I have never bought the right size of anything in my life, so ... that's a complication.

5K- What other shirts do you already have that could be used under the white? A pink or peach or even another white would probably be fine.
I have black, navy, and yellow. I think black is probably my best bet.

I distinctly remember Minnie dressing up as a princess in DL, but it was different than the costume you already have.- pink gown and pink cone hat with a piece of tulle coming off the top. She also appears as a princess in other cartoons (some Mickey Mouse Clubhouse I want to forget exists, and maybe an older cartoon about the three musketeers) If you need to be on Princess theme, I would skip this one unless you are going to revamp the dots you have.
Yeah, I think Minnie can't work with the princess theme. The whole point was to reuse a skirt I already have, so I don't want to go out and buy stuff for her princess outfit.

If you are not excited for Ariel, move on. If it is the same colorblock skirt as before I think it is not a great match and you will not be happy with it. If you decide this is your best option, use the black and find another skirt for Pua.
I'm starting to feel a little better about it, but I agree that the black skirt is the best bet. I have to try the colorblock with my mermaid shirt, but I don't think the colors will go.

As for Vanellope, I love this idea, but urge more caution than @FFigawi 's confidence that they are broadly good for all. I was all in to love the sparkle skirts (now boulderwear), but have a hard time getting both the thighs and the waist to work without adding a cord to cinch the waist, which is irritating to me as I wear the pocket in the back. I don't wear the skirts for long runs, but I do for short runs. Everyone said I would be fine and love them. I am fine but do not love them. For costuming I prefer the sparkly skirts and my own shorts. Even then, I found Sparkle Athletic very different than Rock City Skirts and ran the W&D half with the former riding up and twisting around more than I would have liked. Also, if your argument against Minnie is that she is not a princess, same applies here. But I love her and will confess that I laugh when 'Slaughter Race' spools up on my running playlist.
Vanellope is a princess!
In terms of skirt fit - I usually just wear capris or leggings underneath, so I'm more concerned about the waist than the shorts. The shorts on my other skirts don't fit very well but it's fine with something underneath.

Lucifer is a fun idea and strays from the typical princess, so there will be people who will ask you about it. You can decide if that would add to your pre-race stress (in person conversation makes me queasy with nerves). Grey and black tops are abundant, so I think you would have (perhaps too many) options.
The pre-race conversation is definitely a little bit of a struggle for me, but I don't know that I'd let it influence my outfit plans. But I was talking to Beth earlier and we were thinking she might do Lucifer, so this one is on hold.

And just to throw this out there....

Bolder Athletic makes running capris with skirts attached too.

They also have fitting rooms at the expo if you decide not to buy one beforehand and are curious about how they fit.
I don't like skirt/capri combos because I find it's easier to find the right fit if I wear my own capris under the skirt.
And good to know about the fitting rooms.

Oh, forgot to mention, I saw a purple skirt from Skirt Sports on sale for $30 today. I wanted to do Mal from The Descendants but Beth said no. I considered arguing (okay, I did argue), but since Beth is giving me the runDisney marathon weekend 4 parks minnie ears that her friend gave her, I figured I could compromise on this.
Still undecided on costume, although Beth did remind me that I have a pink skirt (it doesn't fit great, but I can try to take it in). Beth will think on it and we'll discuss again another time.

Meanwhile, Beth has a good race approach and is planning to try to run tomorrow, so I'm feeling a little better about the half than I have been in a while. But really I just want waivers to see corral placements.

Also forgot to mention ... I ran in Peachy Keen (the Zante v3s I wore for the 5K last year) today and they might be done. I may give them one more short run to be sure, but I don't know. Pink Explosions (marathon shoes) may also be done, but I'm gonna try them tomorrow and see if they have a bit more life left in them.
But it's possible that I might be going from 4 pairs of active shoes to 2 pairs over the course of a few days.

and here I was hoping you had a tank to match peachy keen and both could be deployed for Pua....

Okay, just to add some clarification on the skirt:
The skirt I'm looking at is from Bolder Athletic Wear (or something like that), which used to be called Sparkle Skirts. I'm looking at the SwingTall style, which are longer and have shorts underneath. They also make (or made) a sparkly skirt with nothing underneath (I think). Same waistband with pocket.
@TheHamm- thank you for your detailed insight! I have thoughts on what you said and will share them when I'm not fighting autocorrect on my phone.
And Princess Vanellope Von Schweetz is definitely a princess.
I have a casual and a swing. I got tried on the casual at the expo and found the thighs a bit tight on the one with the better waist, and I was concerned the thighs would roll up so I went with the next size. There is a drawstring thing that would be find if I wore the pocket in the front instead of the back. It fits fine but I find it annoying to try to tighten it after I put it on, thus I never reach for that skirt to run in, but if I do it is fine. The swing is an older one, and it seems maybe a different cut, no problem with the thighs or or waist. If you are planning to run with your own capris and do not need the shorts, is there a reason to go with that skirt as opposed to the thinner waistband ones like your sister has?

and here I was hoping you had a tank to match peachy keen and both could be deployed for Pua....

I have a casual and a swing. I got tried on the casual at the expo and found the thighs a bit tight on the one with the better waist, and I was concerned the thighs would roll up so I went with the next size. There is a drawstring thing that would be find if I wore the pocket in the front instead of the back. It fits fine but I find it annoying to try to tighten it after I put it on, thus I never reach for that skirt to run in, but if I do it is fine. The swing is an older one, and it seems maybe a different cut, no problem with the thighs or or waist. If you are planning to run with your own capris and do not need the shorts, is there a reason to go with that skirt as opposed to the thinner waistband ones like your sister has?
So just to add some of my experience with SparkleSkirts/Bolder Athletic wear. They are my go-to and I wear them all the time for running. I love the pockets in the shorts. I generally have not had issues with the shorts rolling up or anything. The waist is usually fine for me, but sometimes if the skirt is a little big, it will start to slide down a little if I have a heavy-ish phone in a pocket. They also like to creep down more often when I wear them over tights in the winter (they don’t have skin to stick to). This could be because my tights that I usually wear are ‘slick’ type material. I have put a lock lace in the waist band of many of my skirts to prevent this. I just set it with its little clip, and then it stretches when putting them on/taking off. I don’t have to adjust it each time - so on the skirt that I wear the pocket on the back, it doesn’t matter. It’s already set how I like it.
So if you do happen to get the SparkleSkirt and since you are probably going to wear it over capris, you might think of getting a lock lace to go with it.

If you are planning to run with your own capris and do not need the shorts, is there a reason to go with that skirt as opposed to the thinner waistband ones like your sister has?
Length. Those are shorter than I like to wear. Hence I'm looking at the longer skirts from all these companies. But Sparkle Athletic doesnt make a longer skirt.

So just to add some of my experience with SparkleSkirts/Bolder Athletic wear. They are my go-to and I wear them all the time for running. I love the pockets in the shorts. I generally have not had issues with the shorts rolling up or anything. The waist is usually fine for me, but sometimes if the skirt is a little big, it will start to slide down a little if I have a heavy-ish phone in a pocket. They also like to creep down more often when I wear them over tights in the winter (they don’t have skin to stick to). This could be because my tights that I usually wear are ‘slick’ type material. I have put a lock lace in the waist band of many of my skirts to prevent this. I just set it with its little clip, and then it stretches when putting them on/taking off. I don’t have to adjust it each time - so on the skirt that I wear the pocket on the back, it doesn’t matter. It’s already set how I like it.
So if you do happen to get the SparkleSkirt and since you are probably going to wear it over capris, you might think of getting a lock lace to go with it.

Thanks for the insight!

Since I forgot to mention it in the costume discussion (and @TheHamm's comment about Peachy Keen made me a little sad about it), the shoe plans:
5K - Pursuit of Purple (NB Fresh Foam Zante Pursuit):

Half - Colored Pencils (Nike Air Zoom Pegasus 36):

(Pink Explosions are officially retired, Peachy Keen will get a short run next week, but most likely will be retired after that, unless they magically start to feel better)

I really like the Nike colors
Me too!! The color is at least 50% of why I bought these shoes.

I am very jealous as the shoe that works from my foot is always aesthetically unpleasing to me. I want those Nike shoes!
I'm really lucky that I've always found shoes that work for my feet that come in fun colors.
The Nike Zoom Flys I didn't like ... those didn't work for me.
So maybe my feet/knees somehow know what I like and adjust better to those shoes?

Princess Half Marathon Training - Week Nine Summary:

Running - 3 runs, total 9.93 miles, 1:19:21 hours
Run #1 - Tuesday AM - 3.45 miles, 47:38 minutes, 13:47 min/mi avg pace
Run #2 - Wednesday AM - 2.36 miles, 31:43 minutes, 13:26 min/mi avg pace
Run #3 - Sunday AM - 4.11 miles, 52:39 minutes, 12:49 min/mi avg pace
Decently unexceptional run week, other than the fact that apparently all of my shoes need to be retired... (okay, not all, just half)

barre3 - 2 classes
Class #1 - Monday night with Jenna
Class #2 - Thursday morning with Babette
I think Babette is becoming my new favorite instructor. I always enjoy her classes and I love her energy.

Other Cross Training - 1 class
Sunday Mid-Day (Well, 11:30 AM) - Taylor Swift Ride at Cyc Fitness (Review)
Anyway ... "I Knew You Were Trouble" is the ****. More on that in the review.

Didn't make it to SaltDrop because of my back. I may sub it out for one of the barre3s this coming week. Or I may do it next week. I'd like to fit it in at some point before Florida.

Week 10 Plan: (Peak Week, Y'All!)
2/3 - Monday: Run, 45 minutes (MHRC)
2/4 - Tuesday: Run, 30 minutes, barre3 (PM)
2/5 - Wednesday: Run, 30 minutes
2/6 - Thursday: barre3 (AM)
2/7 - Friday: Rest
2/8 - Saturday: Rest
2/9 - Sunday: Run, 120-130 minutes

My goal for Sunday's run is to get over 10 miles. That would be the longest run in these shoes, so hopefully the hold up okay.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter