Life After Marathons: A Running/barre3/Coffee/Life Journal

Princess Half Marathon Training - Week Two Summary:

Running - 3 runs, total 14.01 miles, 2:48:31 hours
Run #1 - 4.04 miles, 49:30 minutes, 12:14 min/mi avg pace
Run #2 - 3.46 miles, 43:02 minutes, 12:26 min/mi avg pace (Mile High Run Club)
Run #3 - 6.51 miles, 1:15:59 hours, 11:40 min/mi avg pace

barre3 - 2 classes
Class #1 - Monday night with Jenna
Class #2 - Thursday morning with Bri

Wore the Pegasus again today. I think they're keepers, but the thing that is making me hesitant is the fact that I need to buy new insoles (I usually move them from shoe to shoe, but these shoes are a little bit bigger, they need new insoles),
Other than that ... fairly uneventful week.

Princess Half Marathon Training - Week Three Summary:

Running - 2 runs, total 5.48 miles, 1:13:43 hours
Run #1 - 2.19 miles, 28:11 minutes, 12:52 min/mi avg pace
Run #2 (with Beth) - 3.29 miles, 45:32 minutes, 13:51 min/mi avg pace

barre3 - 1 class
Class #1 - Tuesday night with Kelly

I skipped Wednesday's run and Thursday's barre3 because I was super tired this week and felt that sleep was more important.
Overall, just not a great week, but whatever

Made our FP+ this morning. We were not overly excited about how it went. We got a Slinky Dog Dash, but not for the day we were planning to go to DHS. Oh well. We will keep checking for our originally planned DHS day, and if not, we have park hoppers. We'll see how this goes.

Hey! Haven't popped in over here in a while so wanted to drop a quick note!

Congrats on the semi new job! Hope it is still going well and your having a great experience!

I Just started up my training for the 5k on princess weekend and hope to make it to a 10K some time over the spring summer! My training plan is not nearly as detailed as yours.. its just run! haha!

I'll be interested to hear how it went. I've been contemplating taking a spin class at the Y, but so far have been scared.

I'm hoping to write a full review at some point today, but I think it's definitely worth a try!
Hey! Haven't popped in over here in a while so wanted to drop a quick note!

Hi!
Congrats on the semi new job! Hope it is still going well and your having a great experience!

Thank you! So far it's been great and I'm really happy with it.
I Just started up my training for the 5k on princess weekend and hope to make it to a 10K some time over the spring summer! My training plan is not nearly as detailed as yours.. its just run! haha!

Yay training! I'm kinda not great at sticking to my detailed plan ... maybe I should try adopting your "just run" plan :D.
I wanted to pop over and say Happy Hanukkah. I hope you are enjoying the holiday season.

Thank you! It's mostly been a nice holiday, lots of time with family. I hope you're having a great holiday season!

Review: Flywheel Sports

While I’ve mostly been using ClassPass for Mile High Run Club, I also want to use it to try new things, so when my schedule for last week shifted and I found myself with an exercise-free day on Wednesday, I decided to see what was available. According to ClassPass, the only studio near me that was open was Flywheel Sports, so I decided to finally try my first spin class. I was a little hesitant about the 12 credits, but then I remembered that Flywheel does a “first class free” offer, so I signed up for that and booked the class through their website instead.

I wasn’t entirely sure where this place was, so I got an approximate location from Google (I had the address but didn't know the cross streets) and scoped it out the day before (I was in the area running an errand). On Wednesday morning, I left my apartment about 35 minutes before class (20 minute walk + arrive 15 minutes early) and walked over to the doors I had found the day before. I saw someone else going in and followed him, which was good, because there were more doors and I might have gotten confused.

After I finally got to where Flywheel is located, someone checked me in, got me shoes, and told me where to change (I was wearing my class clothes, but was wearing jeans and a sweatshirt on top … the jeans confused the staff until I told them I had capris underneath). I also met my instructor, Megan, who was very warm and welcoming.

Once I changed, I dumped my boots and coat (spoiler alert: I could have left them in the room with the lockers), and someone (Courtney) got me set up with a locker for my stuff, showed me where the towels and water bottles are (because of their setup, they can’t have a water filtration system set up, so they use disposable bottles), and took me to my bike. Courtney adjusted the bike for me (stupidly, I didn’t pay attention to the settings), helped me get clipped in, gave me a quick overview of the class and the positions I needed to know, and made sure I was ready to go.

Class itself was a series of intervals. We played around with positions (on the saddle, standing up, leaning forward … I’m probably describing these really badly), resistance, speed. The intervals were all pretty quick, so there really was a lot of variety. I had a hard time maintaining a speed, and anytime I wasn’t in the saddle (is that the right term?) I kept accidentally hitting the resistance knob and unintentionally adjusting my resistance, and I was definitely going slower than everyone else. But I was enjoying myself and I thought it was a good class (although my legs hurt early, and I realized I probably should have warmed up first). I heard Megan yell out “you’re doing great, Sarah” or “you look good, Sarah” a few times, which was nice to hear.

About halfway through class I started to feel nauseated. I knew right away that it was an electrolyte issue (it has happened to me before, both on runs and in other classes), but I didn’t have anything with me to help with that. I tried to ease up a bit (without stopping) until it passed, but it didn’t seem like it was going to, so I stopped for a few minutes. Once I felt a bit better, I started pedaling again slowly, and I was able to mostly participate in the last 7-10 minutes of class. The good thing is, I knew exactly what the issue was, so I know how to correct it for next time.

My final stats

At the end of the class, I extracted my feet from my shoes (Courtney told me I could do that - it was easier than trying to get the shoes out of the clips) and stretched a bit. As soon as I got back to the locker area, I grabbed a bottle of water (I had finished mine) and a banana, and I ate the banana and drank some water before I did anything else. Once I was done with my snack, I changed back into my street clothing and chatted a bit with the staff before heading home (stopping for donuts on my way).

Assorted Thoughts:
  • The class was definitely too advanced for me, but I figured out how to modify it, so I still enjoyed it
  • For this class, I chose not to participate in the leaderboard (it’s optional). I don’t know if I would in the future. It was a small class, so I probably would have come in 3rd Female (there were only two women on the board), but I don’t know how I’d feel if I was going to come in 15th female.
  • I definitely should have eaten a full breakfast before class (I only had a snack, and I think that’s why I got sick). Next class I would also probably bring sport beans with me in case I feel nauseated during class.
  • I think my form probably needs some work, so that’s something to think about for next class. I also think I was wearing the wrong size shoes, so next class I’d size down.
  • I knew most of the songs, but wasn’t really singing along. I liked the music, but I’m not 100% sure that it was as motivating as I wanted it to be.
  • Definitely a good workout, and different than anything else I do.

Would I Go Back?
Yes. Maybe not super regularly, but I’d add it as a special workout once every month or two. If I have the ClassPass credits for it.

FlyWheel also has a barre class, FlyBarre, which I want to try because I think it would be a nice change from my usual barre class. When I was speaking with Courtney after class she gave me her card and told me that she’d guest me in when I’m ready to try it out, so I’m hoping to try that at some point in January. I gotta figure out when works for me.

Princess Half Marathon Training - Week Four Summary:

Running - 3 runs, total 12.94 miles, 2:48:46 hours
Run #1 - 3.23 miles, 41:28 minutes, 12:51 min/mi avg pace
Run #2 - 4.16 miles, 53:01 minutes, 12:45 min/mi avg pace
Run #3 - 5.55 miles, 1:13:17 hours, 13:12 min/mi avg pace

barre3 - 1 class
Class #1 - Tuesday morning with Babette
Studio was closed Wednesday and opened late Thursday and I went to Queens for the weekend Thursday mid-day, so no time for a second class.

Other Cross Training - 1 Class
Flywheel - Method 45 with Megan - Total Power 204
(I have no idea what stats to share for this...)

This week's long run was supposed to be 90 minutes, but that didn't happen. Sigh. I'm kinda frustrated, but it's my own fault.

Thinking about signing up for the NYRR Midnight Run tomorrow night. I'm currently scheduled for 30 minutes running tomorrow (although I seem to be signed up for a MHRC class that I will probably cancel ... good thing I get email reminders, because I forgot I signed up) and run to barre3 on Wednesday. Not sure how I'd adjust. And I also don't necessarily want to have to take an Uber home after the race or walk a mile to get home. But the weather is basically as good as it can get for this race. I dunno. It's a tough decision.

Y'all, I adulted very nicely today. Not only did I not buy all the on-sale Harry Potter Christmas stuff at the drug store, I also didn't tell someone that they're not as important as they think they are. Plus, I actually let the new eye doctor give me new contacts to try (I was gonna wait for my regular eye doctor to come back from maternity leave and just use this doctor for glasses, but I decided to get contacts from her too). A++ Sarah!

Although let me tell ya, I'm paying a lot of money for my "free" glasses... (my insurance covers frames up to a certain amount, but everything the doctor had was more than that, and while lenses are free, I need high index lenses, and those are not free).

Y'all, I adulted very nicely today. Not only did I not buy all the on-sale Harry Potter Christmas stuff at the drug store,
That was more or less not me with all the new and some old Star Wars items since The Rise of Skywalker. The good news is that a lightsaber in Galaxy's Edge I have long wanted, but talked myself rationally out of purchasing received a Rise of Skywalker update, so I could then more justify purchasing said lightsaber.

That was more or less not me with all the new and some old Star Wars items since The Rise of Skywalker. The good news is that a lightsaber in Galaxy's Edge I have long wanted, but talked myself rationally out of purchasing received a Rise of Skywalker update, so I could then more justify purchasing said lightsaber.

Adulting is really hard.
Also, lightsabers are awesome. So that was definitely an appropriate purchase.

Adulting is really hard.
Also, lightsabers are awesome. So that was definitely an appropriate purchase.
Yeah, I don't regret the lightsaber at all. Plus I've managed to talk myself out of much smaller Star Wars purchases, so at least I'm not buying everything Star Wars right now.

Princess Half Marathon Training - Week Five Summary:

Running - 3 runs, total 10.60 miles, 2:05:58 hours
Run #1 - 2.17 miles, 25:49 minutes, 11:53 min/mi avg pace
Run #2 - 4.13 miles, 52:02 minutes, 12:36 min/mi avg pace
Run #3 - 4.30 miles, 48:07 minutes, 11:11 min/mi avg pace

barre3 - 2 classes
Class #1 - Wednesday morning with Bri
Class #2 - Thursday night with Jess
Skipped Sunday because I just wasn't feeling it.

Other Cross Training - 1 Class
SaltDrop with Dino- Monday Night
Yay Dino! Another great class.

This was actually a decent training week. Running was maybe a little less of a focus than it could have been, but I'm okay with that.

A few things:
1 - I'm kinda rewriting the Princess Half training plan based on how the last few weeks have gone. So expect that to be shared soon.
2 - My goal for this week is to fix my eating issues. Sigh.
3 - There was a jacket I wanted to get for the NYC Marathon, but I wasn't willing to pay the $130 price tag. Joe's New Balance Outlet has it for $39. I forgot to try it on at the expo, so I'm not 100% sure what size I want. I'm trying to decide if I want to buy both sizes and send back whichever one I don't want. If I buy both, I get free shipping, but will have to pay return shipping on the one I return. If I only buy one, then I pay shipping on the one I'm buying, but if it's the right size, then I'm good to go (if it's the wrong size then I will need to pay return shipping plus shipping for the new size). I'm undecided on what to do. I really probably should have tried this jacket on at the expo. If I thought they still had it at the RUNCENTER, I'd go try it on there, but it's been 2 months, so I'm guessing they don't.

Honestly, I would probably just buy both and pay return shipping. I would hate to order the wrong size, go to return it, and find they were sold out of the one I wanted. I would only buy one if I was sure of the size. And I hate that places charge for return shipping. I tend to only order from places now where I can return it at a store so I don't have to pay for returns.

Honestly, I would probably just buy both and pay return shipping. I would hate to order the wrong size, go to return it, and find they were sold out of the one I wanted. I would only buy one if I was sure of the size. And I hate that places charge for return shipping. I tend to only order from places now where I can return it at a store so I don't have to pay for returns.

I definitely prefer to return in-store (although I do have some DSW packages to return that I keep forgetting to bring to work with me to return), but in this case ... online outlet store with no physical store is way way cheaper than place with physical stores.
I'm trying to get more info on sizing from a friend who bought the jacket at the expo, so we'll see what I end up doing.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter