Liberty of the Seas status

Chuck S

DVC Co-Moderator
Super Moderator
I don't know if anyone here knows anyone currently aboard the ship, but I have a friend on board. The ship was supposed to port yesterday morning in Galveston. They were 8 miles out from Galveston when it became apparent that docking would not be possible. They are currently sailing for Miami, where, if they wish they can disembark...but given that Houston is badly damaged, they will all likely remain onboard and sail back with the ship to Galveston...now scheduled to arrive in Galveston on Friday. Everyone onboard is safe and being provided for.

I don't know anybody personally but another RCCL board I frequent has a member on the Liberty too. They are thankfully not local to Houston so it is just a delay to them, but many on the ship do live around that area and the mood on board is noticeably gloomy. She scanned and posted the most recent letter they got, just about everything on the ship is 50% off: drinks, spa, and most importantly laundry. They are also offering 30 minutes of free internet access a day in addition to discounted VOOM and free phone calls for emergencies. Apparently the internet access is not very good during the day. I did have to laugh a bit, the letter indicated that photo packages ended at the normal date and no further pictures were included, as if this was a part of the trip that people were hoping to remember. Tensions seem a bit high, but most people are recognizing that aside from the possibly overoptimistic thoughts that they could have docked in Galveston yesterday the cruise line is doing everything they can to get everyone back safely.

RCCL is asking anybody who does not need to return to Galveston to try to return home from Miami, but anybody needing to return to stay on the ship as trying to fly in to the Houston area would be difficult. There was some discussion about why Miami, apparently neither NOLA nor Tampa can accommodate a Freedom class ship, Miami really is the closest US port available to them.

Best of luck to your friend!

Last edited:
Crazy. Was just on that ship last November.? At least there is plenty to do, see, eat, drink on board there. Glad all are safe and they all return safely soon.

RCCL took really great care of them, even though a lot of people were understandably grumpy. They docked at Miami, re-supplied the ship. Those that lived outside the hurricane area disembarked and flew home. The ship also loaded emergency supplies for Houston. They then sailed back to Galveston and were allowed to dock and those that still had a home to return to disembarked. Those whose homes were destroyed or where the flooding had not receded were allowed to use the ship as a sort of hotel for two more nights. My friends apartment was safe, and her car was OK, too. One of the people she was traveling with lost both her home and her car.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter