Letters to teachers

Just my 2 cents... I agree with Kallison that a long detailed letter is not necessary. I always send a brief note the week before we leave telling how long we will be gone and where we are going. I ask the teacher if there is anything we need to do to help our child make up required work. Our teachers have often asked the kids to keep a journal to share what they learned when we return, of course my kids are always happy to do that!

I don't feel I need to defend our family decision to travel to anyone. My kids are still in grade school and I realize that as they get older it is harder to make up tests and the like so we will probably adjust as they get to middle school.

Like many of you stated already, children can learn things on a family vacation that they would never be exposed to in a classroom.

BTW.... I was an elementary school teacher myself for seven years before I took a break to raise my children.

First of all, first grade work is important...some of the most important along with Kdg. Yes, your child will miss some important learning that will never be able to be made up...that is the experiencial nature of early primary teaching. Having said that, any teacher that has a problem with outside experience trips is "off their rocker". Experience is the best teacher. Tell the teacher in a cordial manner that your family is going and how can you best make up any work. You don't need permission or explanation of benefits to the child. He/she should be willing to work with you as best as possible. As far as the middle school principal, I agree with not involving the child's willing teacher but further questioning the legality with that administrator and then higher up if needed. Mate's Minnie is also a certified administrator and questions that policy holding up to scrutiny. Keep it cordial. Keep it cordial. Keep it cordial. Irregardless, no "payback" should ever be given a child by any educational professional. Good luck.

I am an elementary teacher. IMHO, make no excuses for the vacation...be grateful you can go on vacation at a time when everyon else is in school. Don't ask for schoolwork in advance (after all you are pulling your kid out) and offer to catch your kid up yourself when you get back (and mean it). Have your kid do some sort of project over the vacation (journal), and don't make a big deal out of it! Most of all, enjoy your vacation--you have so little time with your kids - make the best of it!

ksdave -- you should def. write an e-mail, letter, call district superintendent and simply inquire if there is such as policy. See what the response is and go from there. I have NEVER heard of anything like this. I am a teacher (high school) and firmly believe kids need to have fun and balance school and other activities. With my fifth grade niece, I see way too much hw, etc. She's a kid for crying out loud and sometimes does 3 hours of homework a night and she is an A student!

My only caveat is that I personally wouldn't take a child out of school if there are high stakes standardized tests or test reviews for those high stakes tests going on and you have a choice about when to go. Even this is more for h.s. students though, than for elem. They will have to miss additional class to make this stuff up and will do better taking exam right after the review.

Just my two cents.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter