Let's talk about washing machines

Mrs. Bradbury

It will ALWAYS be the PeopleMover!
Our washer is on its way out, and I'm looking for advice from you wise DISers.

We've gone the repair route recently with our dryer and dishwasher, and it was expensive and didn't last so at this point, I'm honestly looking for something cheap because when it breaks, it doesn't appear to be worth fixing anymore, at least where I live.

I know that I want a top loader, with agitator, not high efficiency, deep tub, large capacity (4.0 or more?) with as few bells and whistles as possible. I am no longer brand loyal. My dream washer would be one that I could pull the knob out to stop the cycle so that the laundry could have a good soak.

Yes, I'm old. Now get off my lawn! LOL

Has anyone had any good experiences with a top-loading washer purchase lately? Thanks!

I helped my mom pick these out earlier this year: https://www.bestbuy.com/site/maytag...-loading-washer-white/5596310.p?skuId=5596310

She's happy with them and insisted on top load with an agitator.

I'm an LG front load fan. But I used these and they were easy to use and do what they are supposed to. One interesting thing I learned was the top loaders are deep and hard for short people to reach into. It was comical having my mom see if she could reach the bottom.

I bought a Speed Queen top loading washer with all the bells and whistles a couple years ago and still love it. Very well made in the USA with longer than industry-typical warranty. They do have several models to choose from with fewer features. I like that it fills completely with water and offers a soak cycle, 2nd rinse & 3rd rinse. Dh gets very dirty at work so eco settings are not for him. My coworkers tell me these nightmare stories about eco washers that barely use any water and clothes come out still dirty and smelling funky unless they use the bulky setting.

I don't believe they're sold at the usual appliance places like BB. I found authorized sellers through SQ website. We ended up buying from a small, family-owned store nearby which I prefer over big box stores anyway. What a coincidence it was that our salesman grew up on our street and moved away long before we bought there. He mentioned several neighbors who still live here. Really is a small world after all. :goodvibes
Not relevant but it was a great shopping experience for us and still loving our washer.

Our washer is on its way out, and I'm looking for advice from you wise DISers.

We've gone the repair route recently with our dryer and dishwasher, and it was expensive and didn't last so at this point, I'm honestly looking for something cheap because when it breaks, it doesn't appear to be worth fixing anymore, at least where I live.

I know that I want a top loader, with agitator, not high efficiency, deep tub, large capacity (4.0 or more?) with as few bells and whistles as possible. I am no longer brand loyal. My dream washer would be one that I could pull the knob out to stop the cycle so that the laundry could have a good soak.

Yes, I'm old. Now get off my lawn! LOL

Has anyone had any good experiences with a top-loading washer purchase lately? Thanks!

I have a Speed Queen, maybe 15 years old. I believe they have added many of the features you *don't* want lately but if you can track down an older model it is awesome and has everything on your list. My model is AWN432SP111TW01

Thanks everyone for your replies. I'm sure I'd be happy with a Speed Queen, but I'm not willing to spend that much money. I decided on a GE at our local Lowe's (my only choice available, to buy locally) and it will be delivered next week. Hopefully it will last several years.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter