Let's talk about how the opening of Galaxy's Edge will affect crowds at OTHER parks.

Will SWGE make the other 3 parks more crowded?

• Yes, it will turn September into Spring Break or worse

Votes: 99 66.9%
  • No, DHS will be packed but others will see little or no increase

Votes: 49 33.1%

• Total voters
I missed getting a FP and lines were too long on Slinky Dog ride last year when we went in December. I was hopeful of getting a FP this year when we go Sept 30-Oct 5. I have no interest in Star Wars although may walk around to see what all the fuss is about! Do people think that the Star Wars land will draw people away from Toy Story Land and those rides or that crowds will just grow in the entire park and my hopes to ride Slinky Dog are again dashed??!
I think crowds will grow in the whole park; one, because people need somewhere to go all day if they do a virtual queue or if they just can't get into GE, and two, because so many people haven't been to WDW since June 2018 and also want to ride SDD.

We're going the same time as you. I planned for 2 HS days, my second being the last day of my trip to secure FP for SDD because my kids like it. I would plan for HS later in the trip so you can basically guarantee yourself a FP for it.

Put this in the FWIW file.

Awhile back (pre SWGE opening date announcement), MK Early Morning Magic (EMM) events became bookable for various dates in September. 6 dates were bookable, 2 Sundays and 4 Tuesdays, 9/1-9/24. Many DISers on the MK EMM thread had confirmed reservations.

Right around the SWGE opening announcement, those dates stopped being bookable. Odd, as MK EMM does not sell out months in advance. Something was obviously up.

Over the last few days DISers on the MK EMM thread with confirmed September reservations have received calls from Disney stating EMM on their dates has been cancelled. Several have been told it is due to a schedule change and “EMHs will be offered on the those dates.”

Granted, the “EMH will be offered on those dates” could just be a misinformed CM line that ‘sounds good.’ But, it appears within the realm of possibility that the EMMs were cancelled due to either planned MK EMHs or earlier (pre-9AM) MK park park hours. SWGE crowds/overflow? Resource allocation?

September is not typically a month with many pre-9am MK openings and EMHs other than the ‘normal’ Wed PM/Fri AM are pretty rare during an otherwise vanilla month on the park calendar.

Granted, they did cancel a few MK EMM dates in October last fall on dates we all speculated would eventually have pre-9am openings, which never materialized.

Anyways - all speculation on my part, but the timing seems likely it could be related.

If this is like the Harry Potter stuff, the crowds all ended up at the Harry Potter stuff. And the rest of the park was almost empty. Of course, I suspect part of this has to do when it opened.

Got this email this morning
The Extra, Extra Magic Hours benefit will include Star Wars: Galaxy’s Edge at Disney’s Hollywood Studios, as well as other experiences at Disney’s Animal Kingdom and Magic Kingdom theme parks. Here’s the rundown:

• Disney’s Hollywood Studios — Daily from Sept. 1-Nov. 2, the park will have Extra, Extra Magic Hours from 6-9 a.m., including Star Wars: Galaxy’s Edge, plus Toy Story Land attractions and select other attractions. Star Wars: Galaxy’s Edge and its experiences subject to capacity.
(Please note that on Aug. 29-31, Disney’s Hollywood Studios will open at 6 a.m. for all guests. There will not be Extra, Extra Magic Hours on those days.)
  • Disney’s Animal Kingdom – Extra, Extra Magic Hours will happen daily Aug. 29-Nov. 2, from 7-8 a.m., featuring Pandora – The World of Avatar and other attractions throughout the park (same as today’s morning Extra Magic Hours offerings).
  • Magic Kingdom Park —Extra, Extra Magic Hours will happen daily from Aug. 29-Nov. 2, from 7-8 a.m., featuring favorite attractions in Fantasyland and Tomorrowland (same as today’s morning EMH offerings).
Extra Magic Hours will also continue to be available on select days at Epcot.

If you’re visiting this fall, you should know that the Extra, Extra Magic Hours benefit at the Walt Disney World Resort requires a valid theme park admission and hotel ID. Guests without the Park Hopper Option or Park Hopper Plus Option must spend the day at the same park where they’d like to enjoy the Extra, Extra Magic Hours benefit.

Also, not all Walt Disney World attractions are available with the Extra Magic Hours benefit. Park hours and available attractions are subject to change without notice. *Applicable theme park, days and times of operation, attraction and service availability may vary and are subject to change without notice. Subject to capacity and cancellation.

Extra Magic Hours is one of the many benefits and amenities you can enjoy as a guest of a Disney Resort hotel. Some of the others include early access to Disney FastPass+ planning (not available during Extra Magic Hours benefit), complimentary transportation and standard theme park parking and other entertaining amenities. Visit our special Extra Magic Hours page for details.

Got this email this morning
The Extra, Extra Magic Hours benefit will include Star Wars: Galaxy’s Edge at Disney’s Hollywood Studios, as well as other experiences at Disney’s Animal Kingdom and Magic Kingdom theme parks. Here’s the rundown:

• Disney’s Hollywood Studios — Daily from Sept. 1-Nov. 2, the park will have Extra, Extra Magic Hours from 6-9 a.m., including Star Wars: Galaxy’s Edge, plus Toy Story Land attractions and select other attractions. Star Wars: Galaxy’s Edge and its experiences subject to capacity.
(Please note that on Aug. 29-31, Disney’s Hollywood Studios will open at 6 a.m. for all guests. There will not be Extra, Extra Magic Hours on those days.)
  • Disney’s Animal Kingdom – Extra, Extra Magic Hours will happen daily Aug. 29-Nov. 2, from 7-8 a.m., featuring Pandora – The World of Avatar and other attractions throughout the park (same as today’s morning Extra Magic Hours offerings).
  • Magic Kingdom Park —Extra, Extra Magic Hours will happen daily from Aug. 29-Nov. 2, from 7-8 a.m., featuring favorite attractions in Fantasyland and Tomorrowland (same as today’s morning EMH offerings).
Extra Magic Hours will also continue to be available on select days at Epcot.

If you’re visiting this fall, you should know that the Extra, Extra Magic Hours benefit at the Walt Disney World Resort requires a valid theme park admission and hotel ID. Guests without the Park Hopper Option or Park Hopper Plus Option must spend the day at the same park where they’d like to enjoy the Extra, Extra Magic Hours benefit.

Also, not all Walt Disney World attractions are available with the Extra Magic Hours benefit. Park hours and available attractions are subject to change without notice. *Applicable theme park, days and times of operation, attraction and service availability may vary and are subject to change without notice. Subject to capacity and cancellation.

Extra Magic Hours is one of the many benefits and amenities you can enjoy as a guest of a Disney Resort hotel. Some of the others include early access to Disney FastPass+ planning (not available during Extra Magic Hours benefit), complimentary transportation and standard theme park parking and other entertaining amenities. Visit our special Extra Magic Hours page for details.
I think extending the extra magic hours to include three parks gives a pretty solid answer to any question of the other parks being busy. IMO they are expecting and planning for record crowds.

I think extending the extra magic hours to include three parks gives a pretty solid answer to any question of the other parks being busy. IMO they are expecting and planning for record crowds.

That's not how I read it. To me, it's more like the carrot on a stick to entice crowds away from DHS.

I'm putting my money on SWGE being an absolute nightmare, and the rest of WDW being 4-5 out of 10 levels. Certainly more than past Septembers, but not insane.

That's not how I read it. To me, it's more like the carrot on a stick to entice crowds away from DHS.

I'm putting my money on SWGE being an absolute nightmare, and the rest of WDW being 4-5 out of 10 levels. Certainly more than past Septembers, but not insane.
I would say the other parks might be a 4-5 in the morning but the crowds leaving, dare I say escaping, GE will fill the other parks towards the afternoon and evening

I think its bit from column A and a bit from column B. Disney knows record crowds will show up for SGE so they are adding extra hours to the other parks to both absorb those who couldn't get into SGE that day, and to absorb those that came to WDW for SGE and also plan on visiting the other parks. That being said there are still a lot of open rooms for September.

Touringplans seems to agree with your 4-5 out of 10 assessment and I pray they are right but the truth is its a complete unknown right now.

I was interested to hear on the DIS unplugged that, aside from SWGE, the rest of Disneyland was virtually dead - not busy at all, on opening day / week.

Wonder if this is a harbinger of what will happen at the World? Maybe the other parks won't be as busy as some are predicting at opening?

I was interested to hear on the DIS unplugged that, aside from SWGE, the rest of Disneyland was virtually dead - not busy at all, on opening day / week.

Wonder if this is a harbinger of what will happen at the World? Maybe the other parks won't be as busy as some are predicting at opening?
Well Disneyland has several APs blocked out and CM passes are blocked out. I also think with the reservation system some just stayed away.

I don’t think the same will happen at WDW.

Well Disneyland has several APs blocked out and CM passes are blocked out. I also think with the reservation system some just stayed away.

I don’t think the same will happen at WDW.
Ah, I wasn't thinking about AP block outs. You're right, it'll likely be different at WDW.

Sounds crazy. We have a short stay after our cruise, so will be there September 7-10. I’ve canceled my dining reservations at the studios. The thought of the crowds changed my mind, plus no one in our family are SW fans. We have no intention of going to the Studios this trip. Though we were just there on a trip last week and visited the Studios 3 days. We are staying at beach club, so may spend more time at the pool.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter