Let's get this board hopping!

minijeanie-recruiters do what they have to to meet quotas-that can sometimes mean telling the truth as they know it with out research. Meaning if your reserve recruiter didnt immediately know of any college students had had to deploy then egro college students dont deploy. Unforunately, that particular decision is up to his commanders-not his company commander but the higher or Major Command he falls under. If the unit cant make strenghth with out him-he'll go. Regardess of what they told you thats what the contract says. My husband is a reservist (National Guard-which operates a bit differently but the army is the army) hes been called 4 times since 2001-once for security on the state governors residence and buildings in the capital area after 9/11 and three times for deployment. Twice they took their college students because the needed the manning to make the mission. The other two times they had enough planning time to fill the slots without them and let them stay back.

jsmith; all well and good but there is no reason to make the kid sit and wait. Either they should take him or let him go to school for this semester. He was told he is not permitted to sign up for school on the chance he was getting deployed. Now he has no school and no job. How fair is this?

minijeanie said:
jsmith; all well and good but there is no reason to make the kid sit and wait. Either they should take him or let him go to school for this semester. He was told he is not permitted to sign up for school on the chance he was getting deployed. Now he has no school and no job. How fair is this?

That's the Army for you...Hurry up and wait! It's going to be a long hard life for him if he doesn't figure that out now.

Very proud Navy wife here! :goodvibes DH is going to be retiring next yr after serving 23 yrs in the Navy, started as Enlisted and will be retiring as an Officer so the Navy has been very good to us!! It is actually going to be really weird living in the "real" world again once he is out. I think we will miss the leave time the most, :lmao:

Actually-thats not 'the army for you" -if the university told him not to sign up for classes-its understandable. However-since he is a reservist his command has no jurisdiction over him except on drill weekends and when he is on orders-if he does not have deployment orders in hand and is not currently on either title 32 or title 10 active duty the he most certianlly is allowed to sign up for school-the commander who told him he was not "allowed" to register for classes has greatly overstepped his bounds. If he can still go and register late for classes he should discuss his situation with the registrars office and see if how his university would handle him having to withdraw if he were to get deployment orders. It sounds like the situation is that his unit has gone to mobilization station and left him as part of rear detachment. He was told not to sign up for school so that he would be available to fill a quota if they lost someone during the mobilization process-except they dont get to do that-they have to put him or orders or let him live his life. However his contract does say they can deploy him-so he risks loosing his investment in tution if he does have to deploy-so its a tough call. But be clear-they can suggest that he not register for classes because of the risk-they can tell him he cannot register for classes.

Actually-thats not 'the army for you" -if the university told him not to sign up for classes-its understandable. However-since he is a reservist his command has no jurisdiction over him except on drill weekends and when he is on orders-if he does not have deployment orders in hand and is not currently on either title 32 or title 10 active duty the he most certianlly is allowed to sign up for school-the commander who told him he was not "allowed" to register for classes has greatly overstepped his bounds. If he can still go and register late for classes he should discuss his situation with the registrars office and see if how his university would handle him having to withdraw if he were to get deployment orders. It sounds like the situation is that his unit has gone to mobilization station and left him as part of rear detachment. He was told not to sign up for school so that he would be available to fill a quota if they lost someone during the mobilization process-except they dont get to do that-they have to put him or orders or let him live his life. However his contract does say they can deploy him-so he risks loosing his investment in tution if he does have to deploy-so its a tough call. But be clear-they can suggest that he not register for classes because of the risk-they can tell him he cannot register for classes.

There are many others in his unit in his situation as well. they were told they can be picked up by another unit any time for anywhere. They are technically in pool whereby if needed elsewhere will have to go. He is allowed to take an online class which he signed up for. This weekend he went to the college house where he would of been living this semester. It is 5 hrs from our home. He has been with the same kids for 3 years so kinda bittersweet for him. I am sure in the long run god has his plan and this is where he is meant to be.

On a happy note we all just came back from wdw. SOG resort is absolutely awesome and I totally recommend it to anyone who wants to stay there. Staff are wonderful, rooms huge in comparison to wdw resorts and shuttle buses were great.

Oh and you certaintly can't beat the price.

Hopefully we will be back in 2 years with my granddaughter

I say this with love...nothing about the military is ever going to be fair. I don't think it was right of the recruiter to say he would never deploy but you don't go into this if you never want it to happen I really hope he is out of limbo soon. Good luck. Armywife here hubby is active dutyand we are in Tx. Excuse typos my tablet is being stupid

I say this with love...nothing about the military is ever going to be fair. I don't think it was right of the recruiter to say he would never deploy but you don't go into this if you never want it to happen I really hope he is out of limbo soon. Good luck. Armywife here hubby is active dutyand we are in Tx. Excuse typos my tablet is being stupid

okay guess shame on me for believing our own united states government. HOw sad is that!
hmmm...and you wonder why the tea party was formed!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter