Let's get this board hopping!

lilmrsellis

Wishing upon a star...
I would LOVE for this board to come alive! Let's face it, if you or a loved one aren't in the military, you just can't understand. I know I didn't. So let's support each other and have fun Disers! What do you say?

Okay, I'll try. DH is almost officially retired from the Air Force after 30 years. We have lived all over the place, but I went to college in Orlando (good old U Can't Finish) and have been a Disney addict ever since. We are currently in the process of moving to Tulsa for the post-retirement job. Who else is lurking about?

:wave2:
DH and I are both ex-military. DS is currently in the military.

Army wife here! DH is in the Guard, so according to some it doesn't count :rolleyes: However the deployment we somewhat recently survived says differently I think

Thanks to everyone for their service (and the Guard most certainly counts!).

Active Duty Army family here. DH has 17 years in so far and is currently deployed. Counting the days until retirement! :banana:

My husband is Army National Guard. Anyone who thinks that isn't really military is sadly mistaken, especially in light of the fact that many soldiers with multiple tours in Iraq and Afghanistan are Guard. He's been in almost 6 years and between BCT, AIT, and a year in Kuwait he's been gone about 1/2 or our marriage. When he got back from AIT we went to Disney for 2 weeks (1 wk in GF thanks to the first military promotion!) and have a 2 year old to prove it, lol.

DH is prior Active Duty Army (3 years) and is currently Army Reserves with 10 years, trying to get his reenlistment papers done. He would like to switch to National Guard, but can't do anything until he can sign his reenlistment papers...gotta love the Army, hurry up and wait!

I have had the pleasure of meeting and spending time with ClarabellCowFan and her wonderful family...We miss you guys (I know you don't miss it here)

GO ARMY!! We are an active duty family stuck in the outer layer of hell also known as Ft. Bliss. Don't let the name fool you. I'm guessing Army PR wouldn't name it Fort Dusty and Brown.

My husband just hit year 16 in the army and supposed to be pinning on another rocker soon, hopefully. I'm so proud of him and our relationship. It is not easy to maintain a marriage when married to a soldier.

My husband is TDY right now prepping for his 5th year long deployment. December is our 10th anniversary. He has been gone easily more than half our marriage. Last year was the most time we ever spent together consecutively and that was 8 months. I told him by month 8 he needed to go somewhere out of my hair. I didn't know what to do with him at home.

I feel the same way, lovemygoofy. Our 2 year old was 6 months old when he left. I'm a stay at home mom and we had a routine. My husband comes home to a full fledged toddler. He's been back almost a year now and it still feels weird!

DH is prior Active Duty Army (3 years) and is currently Army Reserves with 10 years, trying to get his reenlistment papers done. He would like to switch to National Guard, but can't do anything until he can sign his reenlistment papers...gotta love the Army, hurry up and wait!

I have had the pleasure of meeting and spending time with ClarabellCowFan and her wonderful family...We miss you guys (I know you don't miss it here)

Miss you guys too, Suzanne, but you are correct - we do NOT miss anything about Benning or Georgia!

GO ARMY!! We are an active duty family stuck in the outer layer of hell also known as Ft. Bliss. Don't let the name fool you. I'm guessing Army PR wouldn't name it Fort Dusty and Brown.

My husband just hit year 16 in the army and supposed to be pinning on another rocker soon, hopefully. I'm so proud of him and our relationship. It is not easy to maintain a marriage when married to a soldier.

My husband is TDY right now prepping for his 5th year long deployment. December is our 10th anniversary. He has been gone easily more than half our marriage. Last year was the most time we ever spent together consecutively and that was 8 months. I told him by month 8 he needed to go somewhere out of my hair. I didn't know what to do with him at home.

Congrats to Matt! :) :cheer2:

Yuck to the deployment. Maybe he and B will be neighbors.

ClarabelleCowFan said:
Miss you guys too, Suzanne, but you are correct - we do NOT miss anything about Benning or Georgia!

Congrats to Matt! :) :cheer2:

Yuck to the deployment. Maybe he and B will be neighbors.

Yeah, I'm kinda not liking it myself much lately.

First time I see this board! Another Army wife here. Dh has been in 12 yrs. Only 8 until retirement! He will be home from his 6th deployment (5th to Afghanistan) in a matter of days. Seems the older the children get, the worst the deployments get.

I'm less than 2 months away from being retired AF after 21 years. Once I'm out, I'll probably be on DIS more than I am now. :)

Good to see this board getting some more attention! Former wife, current girlfriend here.

ExH was Air Force. We were together through the whole process, starting in spring 2006....enlisting, BMT, Tech School. Got stationed at Davis-Monthan in Arizona...hate it. Went through one 6-month deployment to Iraq. He just finished up his 6 year contract and moved home two weeks ago.

DB is also Air Force. Met him just as the divorce was going through and was about to move home. Ended up staying here at DM. (yuck!) We've been together just over 8 months now and have had to deal with three TDY's already, with another on the horizon. He's a SrA, in Intel. He's been in 2 years of 6, and is considering doing Blue to Green.

So all in all, I've been living the military life for a little more than 6 years now. I joke around with DB that i'm doing this all out of order, and if he switches branches it's going to sound ridiculous. AF fiancee to AF wife, to AF girlfriend, to Army girlfriend. lol.

My son in Army Reserves. He is also in college. Right now he is waiting to see if he is getting deployed. He is not allowed to sign up for school so basically he is in limbo.His unit is based out of Ft. Totten NY. Some of the people in his unit are now in TX waiting to go to Afghanistan.

I am not understanding why they are pulling reserves overseas? Especially if you are in college. Recruiting person told me that he would never ever get deployed while in school.. YEAH RIGHT!

anyone else have the same situation going on?

It's the Army, they do what they want to. That's always the explanation we get. My husband is a Reservist and when they go for any lengthy training, the ones in school don't go, some of that is because of budgeting, but also becasue they are in school. I don't know if they would do that for a deployment or not, guess it depends on whether they really need him or not. Plan for the worst, hope for the best.

My husband's unit has been preparing for Deployment, sort of, for several months, but we have no idea if they are just doing this as part of training, or if they will eventually be going somewhere. They didn't even have drill this month because they didn't have enough money in the budget.

Minijeanie, please be careful how much more you post regarding people and where they are going.

As for your son, he can always deploy whether enrolled into college or not. I know several reserve units that have deployed. They usually attach to another unit also deploying. I actually know a couple guys that had to drop out of law school in the middle of the semester because their units were called up.

Can your son enroll into online classes for this semester? He can still take them hopefully overseas depending on the location of his unit. He could at least take a class or two now and get some credits out of the way.

The army life is not an easy one or for the faint of heart that is for sure.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter