Let's Celebrate! December Holidays around the World Exercise Challenge

50 min today

1041/1300

Had my first Sufgie today. It is so easy as you can imagine to go overboard with them. One year around 4 years ago I didn't even have one and I was so proud of myself for not giving in. Well, the following year I more than made up for it! So I made myself a rule - no Sufgies until Chanukah (they start selling 1.5 to 2 months before the holiday) and then I'm allowed to have one on each of the 8 days.

Went to the bakery after work and got 2 for today and tomorrow. Today's Sufgie is poppy seed filled and topped with white chocolate. It's one of my favorites ever since I discovered in two years ago at a particular bakery. Tomorrow's is halva (made from sweetened sesame paste) filled topped with dark chocolate. YUM!!!!!

Last edited:

Today when I opened my browser there was a link to a Christmas fun facts slide show. The following are some I found particularly interesting:

- In the 19th century, around the same time as Charles Dickens and Washington Irving, telling ghost stories was a Christmas tradition

- On Christmas Eve at 3pm, nearly half of Sweden (really!) sits down to watch "From All Of Us To All Of You," the 1958 Walt Disney Christmas special. It's a collection of classic Disney cartoons introduced by Jiminy Cricket. Why, you ask? It's tradition.
Known as Sverige, Kalle Anka och hans vänner önskar God Jul: "Donald Duck and his friends wish you a Merry Christmas", has been aired without commercial interruption on Sweden's main public-television channel, TV1, since 1959.

- In one of the most famous incidents from the First World War, over Christmas in 1914 there were many spontaneous and unofficial truces between British and German soldiers. Men left their trenches and entered "No Man's Land" to exchange food, gifts and even prisoners.

- Wondering what to with your Christmas tree after the festive period? Why not see if your nearest zoo wants it? Many animals find them great fun to play with. Since 2014, Linton Zoo in Cambridgeshire, UK, has appealed for people to donate their Christmas trees for recycling. They compare the trees to "catnip for lions."

- Artificial Christmas trees are believed to have originated in Germany in the 19th century. And they were originally made from green-colored goose feathers.

- "Mummering" is a Christmas tradition originating in England and now practiced primarily in Newfoundland and Labrador, Canada. People dress up in disguises and costumes visiting local houses: if invited in, they perform dances, songs or jokes while their hosts have to guess their identities.

- So you think the ‘kissing under the mistletoe’ is an adorable tradition? But did you know the name mistletoe is originated from the Anglo Saxon words 'mistel' and 'tan', which means 'dung' and 'twig' (stick). So mistletoe can also be translated as 'poo on a stick'!

- People in Iceland do not have one, but 13 fathers of Christmas. These 13 characters, also known as Yule Lads, start treating the kids with either gifts or rotten potatoes (depending upon how they have behaved), 13 days ahead of Christmas.
But it’s not all fun the mother of the Yule Lads, Gryla, also comes along her boys and boils naughty children in her cauldron.

With less than a week left to December, it is time to ask if anyone would like to volunteer to host January?

Well the seasonal crud ended up being the flu that has turned into pneumonia. So I'm done for the month.

Ended up with 1228/1500 minutes this month. I'm really sad this is the first time since August that I've missed my mark.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter