Let Your Fantasies & Dreams SET SAIL! March 2019 Western Caribbean TR *COMPLETE 9/6

Day 5 Continued: Tuesday March 5th

They came back to the room about the time DD should be waking up. Unfortunately it was one of those days when she woke up in a worse mood after her nap, so it took us a little longer than expected to get out of the room. But there were a lot of character meetings happening in and around the atrium, and we wanted to meet some of them, so we soldiered on. It wasn’t something a little snack couldn’t fix, so while waiting in line for our first character, we grabbed them each something from the little pastry case at the café on Deck 4 (I think the Vista Café?). DD got a rice krispie treat on a stick, and DS got a croissant.

DCL19 04-041
by disneymom1024, on Flickr

Untitled

Because the sets with each character were scheduled so close together and moved so quickly, we basically went back and forth between the character meeting spots down in the atrium and up on the balcony on the deck above us.

DH took some photos of the balcony decorations while we were waiting in line for our first character. So many details all over the ship!

First up, we greeted Captain Mickey!

Next we went down to the bottom of the staircase where we got to meet a very fun and very sassy Daisy Duck! She was hilarious to watch while waiting in line. She was striking all kinds of poses with the groups ahead of us, especially a few girls who wanted photos of just Daisy by herself!

DCL19 04-042

She was very excited to see that DD had a big bow in her hair just like her own bow.

We made a trip back upstairs to meet the gorgeous & fabulous Minnie Mouse!

DCL19 04-046

Stitch was scheduled for 5:30 pm, but we weren’t sure we’d be able to see him since it was so close to our dinner time. However, while we were leaving Minnie, we saw he was just wandering around so we hurried over to see him and get a quick hug & photo.

Then we went back to the scheduled meets in time to see DH’s favorite, Donald Duck.

Donald was a LOT of fun!! He had obviously been to a few Mardi Gras back in the day at some point, because when he noticed our beads and Mardi Gras shirts, he was miming throwing beads, and even sitting in a ladder, which is a naturally New Orleans thing!! Lol If you have never been to Mardi Gras in New Orleans, you probably have no clue what that means, but it’s basically a little seat people make and bolt to the top of a ladder for kids to sit in so they are up higher to catch parade throws. Here’s a pic of DS’s Lightning McQueen themed one.

IMG_3900

Also, we had watched the family ahead of us meet Donald, and we had seen Donald hold up his hand to give the dad a High 5 and yank his hand away when the dad went to return it, then Donald cracked himself up laughing for tricking him. So when he tried to do the same for DH, DH was expecting it and hit Donald’s hand before he could snatch it away, so Donald did the hand movement towards his eyes to show he was keeping an eye on DH. It was a really fun meet!

While all of the character meets were going on, some of the evening performers had set up in the atrium and were singing some familiar songs. While we were finishing up with Donald, we spotted Belle, who just came wandering out into the atrium and started dancing to the music with the kids!

Go back to my pics of Belle from the princess gathering and you’ll see what I mean about their faces looking the same!! Lol

DH saw that the guest services desk was even all decorated for Mardi Gras.

We had a little time before we had to go to dinner, so we made our way over towards the shops to look around, and we spotted Pluto all by himself over by the theater, so we went over to take a picture with him too.

As we went back towards the atrium, we saw that in addition to Belle, a few more characters had come out unscheduled and were just randomly interacting with the kids that were around. Tiana and Vampirina had joined her, and they were enlisting the kids to help them play hide & seek from each other!

It felt like a uniquely DCL experience to get that kind of interaction with the characters. Understandably so, the characters in WDW are a lot more scheduled and structured and you don’t get this same level of interaction. It was a ton of fun to just let DD go nuts playing with some of her favorite princesses and other characters and running around having the time of her life!

Continued in next post...

Day 5 Continued: Tuesday March 5th

As they were starting to wind down a bit, it was time for us to head to dinner anyway. We were going back to Royal Court where we had eaten on our first night.

The kids both got pizza and decided on ice cream for dessert.

DCL19 04-067

While we were talking with our tablemates, I started talking to the mom about how both of the kids had really not been interested in going back to the kids club after the first or second day. She kind of swooped in with the kids and started talking to them about how her daughter, who was just a little bit older than DD, was very excited for that night to go to the kids club for Pluto’s Pajama Party. She managed to get them really excited about the party, which I very much appreciated, because it seemed to renew their interest in trying out the clubs!

Back to the food!

For appetizers, I went with a cheddar broccoli soup from the kids menu because none of the regular apps were speaking to me. DH had the shrimp.

DCL19 04-068
Broccoli Cheddar Soup

DCL19 04-069
Marinated Tiger Shrimp with Celery Hearts and Remoulade

Next up were the delicious main courses. I had a couple of favorite meals on the cruise, and this was one of them for me!

DCL19 04-070
Fettuccine with Parmesan Crusted Chicken Chicken encrusted in Parmesan Cheese, with Sweet Peppers and Mushrooms in a Cheddar Cheese Sauce

DH wasn’t ready to settle for just one entrée since two had caught his eye.

DCL19 04-071
Oven-Baked Lobster Tail with Sun-Dried Tomato, Lemon Pesto Mash, and Roasted Asparagus

DCL19 04-072
Roasted Red Snapper served on a bed of Fennel, Olives, Sweet Peppers, and Yukon Gold Potato Ragout with Saffron Broth

When it came time for desserts I was having trouble deciding between the lava cake and the apple pie. I ended up going for the lava cake when Francis came to get our dessert order, but DH interjected and told him to bring me the apple pie too! He wanted to drag me into his two-dessert habit. He didn’t disappoint and ordered two himself, the lava cake and chocolate cheesecake (which was the no sugar added option).

DCL19 04-073
Old Fashioned Apple Pie Served warm with Vanilla Ice Cream

DCL19 04-076
Chocolate Lava Cake Served with Double Chocolate Sauce and Vanilla Ice Cream

DCL19 04-075
Chocolate Cheesecake Baked Cheesecake over a NSA Chocolate Chiffon Sponge Base

After dinner, we brought the kids back to the stateroom so they could change into their pajamas to go to the party at the kids club. After we dropped them off, we had some time before the nighttime show was going to start so we took that opportunity to go back to the room and get our stuff together for the port adventure we had booked for the next day since we’d be getting off of the ship kind of early, so we wanted to make sure we weren’t scrambling to make sure we had everything we needed for the day in the morning. Another time saver we decided to do was to order room service breakfast, so we chose our items and hung that on the door before we headed down to the theater to see Aladdin.

When we got to the theater, we saw our buddy Raf down there, and gave him some Mardi Gras beads and a doubloon. Then we grabbed a couple of seats for the show.

This was the show I was probably looking forward to the least and not because I thought it would be bad but just because of the 4 movies they have adapted into a stage show for the cruise line (Frozen, Beauty and the Beast and Tangled being the other 3), this is my least favorite of the 4 options. Overall though, the show really exceeded my expectations. Jasmine was a phenomenal singer (though DH and I both commented that Aladdin’s singing chops left a lot to be desired), and as promised through other reviews I have read/seen/listened to, the Genie was the star of the show!! He was absolutely HILARIOUS, making lots of funny and topical jokes. The one that really got me the most was when Aladdin told Genie he’d use his last wish to set him free. Genie yelled, “FREE?! Like the ice cream on deck 11?!” Just one of the many many moments where he had the audience laughing hysterically.

When the show was over, we went to pick the kids up from the club as their Pajama Party was winding down. The kids had each gotten a pillowcase to color, and the whole way back to the room and even while getting them ready for bed and putting them in, covering them and pulling the curtain to separate us from them, they just COULD NOT stop giggling and telling us all of the fun things they had done at the party. It was definitely a huge hit!! I had been sitting in one of the portholes while DH went in to collect them, and I overheard another mom asking a kids club counselor if they would be doing the party again, and they had it scheduled for Friday night, so I stored that away in my mind in case the kids wanted to do it again. It ended up working out well as leverage so if there was an adult only activity DH and I wanted to do and we wanted the kids to go to the club but they were resisting, I could tell them, “If you want to go to Pluto’s Pajama Party again later on, I need you to go right now just for a little while!” and it totally worked. Lol I’m not above bribery!!

We had also gotten a pretty cool towel animal that DS was really excited about.

When I tell you they couldn’t stop talking about it, they really couldn’t. We were exhausted and just wanted them to go to bed, but it definitely made us smile that we kept telling them goodnight, then turned the lights off and closed the curtain and they just keep going on and on with, “And then this happened! And then that happened! It was so funny when Pluto did this!” It was really amazing to see them enjoy something so much on the ship!! Since I was doing this update today, I was talking to DD about it and even now several months later she can still recall specific moments of the party and was cracking up laughing as she recalled them to me. And both kids still love using their pillow cases!

It had been another fun day, and we needed to get some sleep because we had a fun and busy day coming up in Jamaica!

UP NEXT: Welcome to Jamaica, Mon!

Omgoodness, what a fantastic day for your children!!! The princess interaction sounds amazing! And the pajama party! Man, I love DCL!

We get to do our Double Digit Dance this Thursday, and booking day is next week for us. SQUEEEEAL!

Sounds like a fun time at the pool and a fun time for DH & DS at port!

Great pics with all the characters! And the random characters that came out to play were such a nice touch!

Sounds like a nice dinner and a good night for both you and the kids!

What a fun day! Love all the character pictures and your DD's interactions with the Princesses was just priceless. It's great the other Mom was able to renew their interest in the kids club. Hearing them laugh and talk about it might have been worth the price of the cruise :goodvibes

Omgoodness, what a fantastic day for your children!!! The princess interaction sounds amazing! And the pajama party! Man, I love DCL!

We get to do our Double Digit Dance this Thursday, and booking day is next week for us. SQUEEEEAL!

They really had a blast, and we were a bit worried it would be tough to keep them occupied on the ship. Boy was I wrong!

So exciting!!! Hopefully you get everything you wanted!!

Sounds like a fun time at the pool and a fun time for DH & DS at port!

Great pics with all the characters! And the random characters that came out to play were such a nice touch!

Sounds like a nice dinner and a good night for both you and the kids!

They definitely enjoyed getting off the ship for a bit, even if they didn't do much. I'm looking forward to maybe not needing so many naps on our next cruise.

It was so great just being able to hop from one short character line to another. So much different than the parks! We really enjoyed that aspect of the cruise. Of course the random interactions were simply amazing too. I don't think DD will ever forget that. She still loves looking at the pictures of her dancing with Belle and playing hide and seek.

What a fun day! Love all the character pictures and your DD's interactions with the Princesses was just priceless. It's great the other Mom was able to renew their interest in the kids club. Hearing them laugh and talk about it might have been worth the price of the cruise :goodvibes

I was so appreciative of our tablemate that night! She really renewed their interest, and it gave DH and I some time to do some of the adult only activities we had really wanted to try while the kids went to the club.

It's hard to justify the price of DCL because it is just so expensive, but moments like that and hearing their excitement definitely did it for us and made us excited to look forward to another cruise in the future.

Great update! Love the hide and seek!

Thanks! It was so cute. Something that definitely doesn't happen in the parks, or at least not nearly as often.

Your kids are clearly having a blast. Glad you had a great time.

They loved this trip! They can't wait to go on another one. They are more excited about a second cruise in 2021 I think than visiting WDW next year.

Day 6: Wednesday March 6th

This morning, we were up pretty early around 7 and our room service breakfast was delivered in no time. We got the kids up and got dressed in our bathing suits while we enjoyed the cereal, muffins, donuts, and juice we had ordered the night before. Today we were in Jamaica, and at this port we had booked a non-DCL shore excursion through resortforaday.com. It gave us day passes to the Jewel Runaway Bay Beach Resort, and it was the excursion I had most been looking forward to while booking our cruise!

We were able to exit she ship around 8, and we followed the directions on our tickets to get us to the meeting spot where we’d find our shuttle to the resort that was included with our tickets.

P3050218

The bus was pretty full when we took off, and it was about a 45 minute ride from the port to the resort. DD was worried that she had to hold on to the handrail on the seat in front of her while on the bus.

P3050220

P3050224

We arrived at the resort around 9:15 am and had to stop at the front desk to pay the remaining balance for the excursion. You only pay the deposit up front and then pay the remainder on arrival. Several people seemed to have made the same mistake we did and didn’t have printed copies of their tickets, so they were having to email them to someone at the hotel and print them there. Good to know it was an option, but we were glad we didn’t have to waste any of our time at the resort doing it! Also, we were only charged for 3 of us, since DD was free.

After checking in, the concierge brought us around to let us know what was included. There was a pool, a kids splash park with a lazy river and water slides, several food locations, and access to their beachfront. We ended up at the splash park area, and it was one of the things that had drawn us to this resort, so it was a perfect spot for us to grab a couple of chairs and start our day.

DS wanted to hit up the water slide first, so he and I did the one we could ride together while DD and DH tried out the lazy river.

P3050226

Then she went over to the splash area for a bit.

P3050230

P3050232

P3050235

When DS and I caught up to them, the kids had fun splashing together and playing with some volleyballs that were floating around in the water.

P3050236

The lazy river was a favorite for all of us, so we definitely got a bunch of laps around it while we were there!

P3050239

P3050240

P3050242

Who knows what ended up making DD have an angry moment, but we took a picture of her when she stormed away from us and found a seat as far from us as she felt comfortable to pout.

P3050243

DH decided to check out the drinks for us since they were included and came back with a beer for himself and a strawberry daiquiri for myself.

P3050245

P3050247

P3050250

P3050255

P3050256

Oh look, the other kid had a moment too…

P3050259

Snacks were included so we went to the snack bar a couple of times to share some, like popcorn, nachos, and fries. For lunch we shared some burgers and pizzas, then we decided we were ready to go to the beach for the rest of our time there. We gathered up our stuff and made our way towards the beach. The kids spotted the shaved ice, and…well, vacation, right??

P3060262

P3060264

We passed the pool, but never did make it into there.

P3060271

Day 6 Continued: Wednesday March 6th

I’ll admit off the top, I’m not at all a beach person, so this was probably my least favorite part. However, the kids had the BEST time! We managed to score a lounge chair in the shade for me to relax at least while they went to work playing in the sand. Before the cruise we had gotten them a set of beach toys off of Amazon. We actually ended up getting it for free because when we bought it, the description said it was something like 18 pieces, and when it arrived it was 16 pieces, or something similar. When DH reached out to let them know their description was misleading, they ended up giving him a refund and letting us keep the toys! However, we didn’t end up bringing them this day since it was a lot to carry, but we had actually caught a couple of pail & shovel sets in a Mardi Gras parade right before leaving for the cruise, so they were perfect to bring on this excursion with us.

P3060274

P3060276

DD was on a Lilo & Stitch kick, and since we had just watched it on the ship, it was especially fresh in her mind, and she wanted to replicate the scene of Stitch burying himself in the sand and putting a leaf in it.

The sun was hot, but the water was cold! I was fine with just dipping my feet in.

P3060284

DCL19 05-001

P3060288

DS was not afraid of the water temp whatsoever and was ready to jump in.

P3060290

P3060291

P3060296

P3060299

P3060301

P3060303

P3060306

P3060308

P3060311

P3060312

Soon enough, it was time to start cleaning ourselves off so we could be back at the bus on time. Unfortunately, the kids were absolutely COVERED in sand, and the little shower heads they had on the beach might as well have been a leaky faucet for all of the nonexistent water that was coming out of it. So this began the, albeit brief, not fun part of the afternoon. The only other solution I could come up with was the bathrooms over by the splash area we had used earlier that I had noticed had shower stalls in them. It was SUCH a hike back over there with a whiny toddler and all her stuff as we are trying to hurry so we don’t miss the bus!! But I was able to get us both rinsed off well and changed into fresh clothes before catching up with DH and DS, who had done the same. We even had a little time to grab one more serving of popcorn to share before going back to the lobby with a few minutes to spare before the bus arrived to bring us back to the ship.

P3060314

P3060315

There were A LOT of bus naps happening on the way back.

IMG_1623

DD and I headed straight back to the ship when we arrived back at the port so that we could get proper showers and get ready for dinner. DH and DS wouldn’t take as long to get ready, so they took their time in the port area so DS could shop.

IMG_1631

He ended up deciding to get a carved wooden shark. The craftsman even carved his name into one side and Jamaica 2019 into the other.

IMG_1632

UP NEXT: Back on the Ship

Loved reading about the Jewel excursion! We looked at that one when we went but ended up going on our own to the Blue Hole. Thanks for the great review!

LOL that pic of DD in the corner pouting!!

Oh I spoke to soon, then followed by DS!

That's really great that food was included in your cost! It sounds like it was a good excursion!

Loved reading about the Jewel excursion! We looked at that one when we went but ended up going on our own to the Blue Hole. Thanks for the great review!

We really enjoyed Jewel, and I think we would definitely book it again if we didn't decide to venture out to something else. The kids had plenty to keep them busy and the included food & drinks certainly helped!

Seemed like an awesome day!

It was probably my favorite excursion! We had a blast that day.

LOL that pic of DD in the corner pouting!!

Oh I spoke to soon, then followed by DS!

That's really great that food was included in your cost! It sounds like it was a good excursion!

They both have epic pouts!!

It was really great, and totally worth the cost for everything that was included. Unfortunately we couldn't find other good options in the other ports we visited through that same website, but it's a great place to look if you're not crazy about what DCL is offering.

When we left off, DD and I had gotten back on the ship after a fun day at Jewel Runaway Bay Beach resort, while DH and DS had lingered in port to shop. Eventually they made their way back onto the ship and we were all cleaned up and in fresh clothes for dinner.

DCL19 05-002

We saw on the app that Goofy and Max were going to be out meeting near the Walt Disney Theater, so we started off in that direction. As we were passing by Cinderella’s meeting spot, her set was nearly ending but we were able to hop in line and meet her before she left. It was by the pretty Cinderella mosaic so DD had a cute conversation with her about how much she loves Gus Gus.

Then we continued on to our original destination to meet Goofy & Max.

DS was asking to shop but they weren’t open quite yet. As we were milling around, we spotted Chip & Dale coming out to meet, so we followed them to their location and got a photo with them.

By then, the shops were open, but DD didn’t want to go look around again, so I took her up to meet Daisy.

Untitled

Untitled

Untitled

When we all met up together again, it was time to head to dinner. Francis had instructed us the night before to arrive a little early because it was the night we would be enjoying the animation show in Animator’s Palate! We needed an extra few minutes to create our characters.

We were each given one of these place mats and instructed to draw a character but to keep each body part contained within the blue lines.

Oh goodness, looks like neither of us managed to get a photo of DS’s creation!

Then the kids had fun coloring their placemats while waiting for our meal to start. Our tablemates didn’t come to dinner that night, so it was just the 4 of us.

I think I was the only one to get an appetizer this night, and I had soup.

DCL19 05-019
White Cheddar and Broccolini Soup with Toasted Baguette Croutons

Sorcerer Mickey came on the screen to check in with us!

DCL19 05-020

We both decided on the same entrée tonight too.

DCL19 05-021
Grilled Garlic-Marinated Shrimp with Linguine Pasta, Roasted Cherry Tomatoes, Artichokes, Sautéed Baby Spinach, and a Tomato-Basil Provencal Sauce.

DCL19 05-022

DCL19 05-023

DCL19 05-025

DCL19 05-026

DD had gotten the kids spaghetti with turkey meatballs. I tried convincing DS to give it a try but the turkey meatballs was freaking him out. Too bad he can actually read! Lol So he went with the macaroni & cheese, but ended up with major food envy when he saw DD’s food. For dessert, he had gotten the brownie with ice cream while DD went with just the ice cream.

DH continued his tradition of getting two desserts while I went for just one. I had the Chocolate Decadence while DH had both that and the Celebration Cake.

DCL19 05-029
Chocolate Decadence For Real Chocolate Lovers!

DCL19 05-030
Celebration Cake layers of Cheesecake covered with Strawberries embedded in rich Vanilla Cream

DCL19 05-031

DCL19 05-032

While enjoying our desserts, we got to enjoy watching the characters we had animated before our meal parade along the screens and get added into scenes with memorable Disney characters. It was one of my favorite meals of the entire cruise! We had a blast pointing out our characters and laughing at the activities they were engaging in.

After a wonderful meal, the kids wanted to go to the kids club for a little while, so we dropped them off then headed to the adults-only 90’s Music Trivia at O’Gill’s Pub. It was our first adults-only trivia, and the atmosphere was SO different than the family friendly trivia we had participated in thus far! Chris, who was in charge of the adult entertainment, was absolutely hysterical and kept the vibe very fun & lively.

IMG_1633

DH and I didn’t do terrible, but with people getting perfect scores, we didn’t stand a chance of winning. But it was a ton of fun!!

While we were walking around the ship, I was on the Navigator app and happened to notice that they had finally added showings of Captain Marvel to the activities list!! It was being released in theaters the Friday we were on board, but until now there had been no evidence that it would be premiering on the ship also. The first showing would be Thursday night at 10:45 pm, then there were several showings on Friday during the day and evening, but that was our Castaway Cay day, and we knew we’d be off the ship for most of the day. We toyed with the idea of splitting up to see it, with DH going to the premier Thursday night while myself and possibly DS saw it Friday evening. However what we ended up deciding to do was plan for the Friday evening showing that overlapped with our dinner time. We were due to eat at Enchanted Garden again, and when checking the menu we weren’t super excited about any of the choices anyway. We figured instead we could feed DD before sending her to the kids club while we grabbed something quick and ate in the theater during the movie. We were both very excited to have a plan in place as we had really been looking forward to getting to see the movie while onboard!

We went to get the kids from the club and headed back to the stateroom to see what kind of blanket animal was waiting for us tonight.

DCL19 05-043

It had been a long and exhausting but incredibly fun day!! It was probably my favorite day of the entire cruise. We all loved the resort, and the weather had been perfect. It was the excursion I had most been looking forward to, and it had lived up to the expectation!

UP NEXT: Star Wars Day at Sea

I've really been enjoying your trip report! One of my favorite parts are your daughter's outfits, they are adorable!! I especially loved her Mardi Gras dress and her Moana inspired dress, too cute! It must be so fun to dress her up.

I've really been enjoying your trip report! One of my favorite parts are your daughter's outfits, they are adorable!! I especially loved her Mardi Gras dress and her Moana inspired dress, too cute! It must be so fun to dress her up.

Thank you! I had a lot of fun squirreling away those cotton-style princess dresses for her leading up to the cruise. It’s so fun to dress a little girl for Disney, that’s for sure!! The Mardi Gras dress I got with a little luck...a friend was selling a bunch of her daughter’s old clothes and gave me that one for $8 because there was a stain on it. It’s not easy to get a smocked dress that cheap!!

So many great character pictures!

Dinner sounds like it was so fun! That's so cool that your drawings end up on screen!

Joining in a little late to the party! I've spent the last few days catching up on some of your trip reports that I missed through the years- I think the last one I read was your Italy ABD trip and your daughter wasn't born yet!

Both of the kids are so cute! I enjoyed seeing the cruise pictures on instagram and I'm enjoying hearing the stories behind them!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

Latest posts

facebook twitter