Let Your Fantasies & Dreams SET SAIL! March 2019 Western Caribbean TR *COMPLETE 9/6

Day 4 Continued: Monday March 4th

After the chocolate tasting, it was time to make the piñatas.

DCL19 03-022
by disneymom1024, on Flickr

First up, she showed us a very large one they were creating for local children, and all of the kids in the group were able to come up and add a piece of paper to it. They recently shared it on Facebook, which was pretty cool to see all of the kids enjoying something our kids had a chance to help create.

DCL19 03-023

They had painted bodies of piñatas for each child. They got to paint the middles with glue and cover it in confetti, then they got to add the tissue paper to the cones and add the streamers to the corners.

Then we moved outside and the kids got a turn to take some swings at the piñata. There was a song they sang for each child, and they got to keep swinging until the song was over. DD did not want to participate.

DCL19 03-028

She didn’t even took a swing, she just handed the bat back to the lady and ran back to us! Lol DS was all in though.

None of the kids could get it broken open, so they asked for some parent volunteers. N actually gave it a shot, and the parents were not as lucky as the kids and had to be blindfolded!

Once it was finally broken open, the kids could fill their smaller piñatas with the candy.

The kids didn’t end up even trying any of the candy because it all had pictures of people with fire coming from their ears or something else to indicate it was spicy! Haha Mexican candy is probably not for us.

We went back inside where they had our handmade chocolates ready for us in bags with a little recipe for Mexican Hot Chocolate.

DCL19 03-036

Then we got to try some chocolate cake and a chocolate drink!

Once the adventure was over, we got another cab ride back to the port. Both cab rides were included in the price of the excursion, which was nice.

As I mentioned in the previous post, we had realized we didn’t print our tickets for our Jamaica excursion on Wednesday. So we spent some time trying to utilize the free Wi-Fi in the port area once we were brought back to see if we could at least get a copy of them downloaded onto our phones. We also tried to make an attempt to call the company to see what our options were if we couldn’t get the tickets, but we were unable to get a strong enough signal to make a Skype call. The kids were getting impatient, so we walked around a little bit and checked a few of the shops while trying to get the tickets downloaded. We were eventually able to locate them in our email and download them, but they specifically stated that you had to have a physical copy on the day of the excursion. So we made a little bit of progress, but still didn’t have it totally worked out unfortunately.

There wasn’t much we wanted to purchase in any of the shops, so we started back towards the ship.

DCL19 03-040

We stopped in the stateroom to drop off our chocolates and piñatas and saw our pirate gear had been delivered.

DCL19 03-041

While in the room, we changed into our bathing suits and reapplied sunscreen, then headed to the pool deck. We had passed through the pool area at some point the day before during a sea day, and it was a literal sea of humanity. DS had expressed disappointment at not getting to enjoy the pool, and I kept reassuring him we would get to come back and it wouldn’t be nearly as busy. He was happy to find out I was right!

I took DD to the Nemo’s Reef splash pad area while DH and DS went to the pool grill to get us some lunch.

P3040005

P3040010

P3040011
Our neighboring ship’s pool deck.

We had a quick and filling lunch of chicken tenders and burgers from the pool grill. It was nothing special, but it hit the spot. And then we could get back to swimming.

P3040012

I got a few pictures of DD having a blast in the splash pad while DH and DS did the Aquaduck with a minimal wait.

P3040013

P3040014

P3040015

P3040017

P3040024

P3040026

DD decided she wanted to swim, so while she got in the pool, DH stayed with her while DS and I went to ride the Aquaduck. It was posted at 20 minutes, but was really less than 15.

P3040027

P3040029

P3040034

P3040051

Continued in next post...

The kids played in the pool for a little while, and DS went down the Mickey slide a few dozen times.

P3040061

Then we moved over to a tiny little wading pool at the window where the kids spent a long time and I could relax with my feet in the water.

P3040065

P3040066

P3040067

While I stayed with the kids, DH took his phone over to guest services to see if they could help us out with our Jamaica excursion tickets.

P3040069

P3040073

P3040075

P3040079

P3040080

P3040083

P3040085

DH came back to us when he was done, and luckily he was able to use the little bit of free Wi-Fi you can sign up for your first day on board to email it to a manager, who said she could print them for us and deliver them to our room! So that was a relief! But while we were able to get it taken care of, I would definitely suggest NOT forgetting to print them in the first place!!!

After a little more time in the pool, we decided to dry off and go play some miniature golf. We passed another splash park on the way, but we never actually returned for the kids to play in there.

P3040088

P3040090

The mini golf was cute in that it had a more difficult path for the ball set up for adults marked by Goofy’s footprints, and the place to stand for the easier path for kids was set up with Max’s footprints.

P3040091

P3040092

P3040093

P3040096

P3040098

P3040103

Port days are definitely the best for the pool! I kept seeing it described as “kid soup” on Facebook groups and podcasts, but definitely not so when in port!

P3040105

P3040106

P3040109

P3040127

We decided to head back to the room, and DH let DS have the waterproof camera on the way so he took some interesting photos inside the Sweet on You shop as we passed through.

P3050129

P3050132

P3050134

UP NEXT: Pirates In The Caribbean!

The pinata class sounds fun!

Sounds like a fun time at the pool and riding the Aquaduck! The little wading pool with the glass window looks like a cool spot to hang in!

Phew glad you were able to resolve the issue with the excursion tickets!!

The mini golf seems fun!

The pinata class sounds fun!

Sounds like a fun time at the pool and riding the Aquaduck! The little wading pool with the glass window looks like a cool spot to hang in!

Phew glad you were able to resolve the issue with the excursion tickets!!

The mini golf seems fun!

The kids really loved making the pinatas. It was basically just throwing confetti all over it, so tailor made for kids!! lol

We really enjoyed hanging out on the ship when it was in port. It was fun to ride the Aquaduck without long waits and not a lot of people in the pools or playing miniature golf.

It was SUCH a relief to get the excursion tickets worked out. I was so stressed about it when I realized we had forgotten to print them. I'm glad though that I realized it early enough that we had some time to get it figured out instead of realizing the same day!

Enjoying your trip report

Thanks so much!

The piñata excursion looks way more fun than I imagined, loved the write up

It was more fun than I expected it to be as well! I was glad they already had them painted because I was kind of dreading the mess it might be if we were tasked with painting it ourselves. lol

Thank you!

Once back in the room, we showered and got changed into our pirate outfits, but I wanted DD to take a nap before dinner since there were fireworks late that night. DH and DS headed out, while I put Cinderella on the TV and DD fell asleep watching.

The boys meanwhile did an animation class called Animation Physics, and it was hosted by Raf & Chelsey from Disney Tunes Trivia the day before. Raf let DH know to keep an eye out for him in the pirate stage show later!

DCL19 03-042

Unfortunately while we were napping in the room, we were also missing all of the Disney characters in their pirate gear! DH and DS didn’t miss out on missing Mickey in his pirate best.

DH was trying to message me to see if we wanted to come meet some of the characters with them, but we were snoozing away. The Navigator app lets you message back and forth, but the problem is you don’t get the messages like texts, only if you are actually in the app, so I was missing everything he was sending me.

Once DD was up I got her in her Tinkerbell costume. She refused to wear it without something underneath because despite trying it on at home and loving it, she suddenly decided it was too itchy.

Guest services was all decked out for pirate night.

DCL19 03-046

Before dinner, there was a show with Mickey & friends out on the pool deck.

It was a really cute show, but kind of confusing. We had been told over and over to sit down before the show started to make sure everyone could see. But then when Mickey & friends came out they were trying to teach us how to be pirates and there were some parts where it seemed like we were supposed to be dancing, which is hard to accomplish sitting down. Lol But it was still a cute show!

Then Captain Hook & his crew came and tried to take over the ship from Captain Mickey. And one of his pirates looked very familiar!

DCL19 03-055

DD was surprised to see that Raf was one of the “bad” pirates!

DCL19 03-056

But of course we helped Mickey save his ship from Captain Hook with all the things they had taught us about how to be pirates!

DCL19 03-057

The show was over before we were ready to go to our dining room, so I wanted a couple pics with DD but she insisted on silly faces.

We made our way down to Enchanted Garden for our dinner there. Francis told us to watch for how the decorations would change as the meal went on and the flowers began to bloom.

DCL19 03-061

DH and I both had the same appetizer.

DCL19 03-062
North Atlantic Lobster Ravioli with Roasted Garlic and Sweet Basil in a Tomato Broth

DD got a special “bib” from Francis so she wouldn’t mess up her Tink costume!

DCL19 03-063

Nothing was jumping out at DH and I too much this evening, so we both ended up with the same entrée too.

DCL19 03-065
Pan Seared Sea Bass with Fava Bean and Pea Risotto, sliced fennel, and a Dill-Chive Riesling Wine Sauce

I got my Sea bass with a baked potato though instead of the risotto. There was also a sea scallop dish, and DH wanted to try them but didn’t want everything that came with it, so they just brought him a bowl of scallops.

DCL19 03-064

The lights were now opening!

DCL19 03-066

For dessert, both DH and I got the sundae.

DCL19 03-067
Chocolate Brownie Sundae Peanut Butter Brownie Bites with Rich Chocolate Ice Cream, Whipped Cream, and Chocolate Fudge Sauce

Plus DH decided to go for a second dessert.

DCL19 03-068
Chocolate Garden Torte with Coffee Cream and Caramel Soil

Both kids decided to go for a Mickey Bar that night.

I don’t know why we have pictures of DD after dinner without her Tink costume on (I feel like I would remember taking it off her & carrying it around??) but yet, here she is regardless.

We tried to meet Chip & Dale but we were a little too late so we missed them. We looked around inside the shops instead, then got a picture with the Pirates background.

DCL19 03-073

Then we went up to the pool deck to find a spot to watch the Pirates Fireworks. DH had read it was better to be up on the balcony over the pool deck to watch, and we were able to get a spot along the railing so it worked out perfectly. Just be sure to ask which side the fireworks are going to go off from so you can get the best view.

Before the fireworks they had a fun little show with some singing pirates who would pick people out of the audience, ask them a few questions, then improvise a fun song with the answers they gave!

Then came the highlight of Pirate Night, the fireworks!! (You can click on all 3 of these and it will take you to my Flikr page, because they are actually videos!)

IMG_1606

IMG_1607

IMG_1608

After the fireworks they were doing a dance party on deck, and we could see Raf down there, so we went to say hello.

DCL19 03-077

DD actually hugged him! She was starting to come around. Lol

Peter Pan was meeting and his time was coming to a close as we hurried down to the atrium. His line was technically closed, but when the CM manning the line named Sean saw DD dressed up as Tink he let us sneak in as the last family!

While waiting for our turn we spotted Pirate Stitch wandering down a deck below.

The next character meets weren’t for awhile, and it was getting late, so we headed back to the room for the night.

DCL19 03-081

To keep the theme, our chocolates that night were gold doubloons!

Before getting to bed, we added our Mardi Gras garland to our door to get ready for Fat Tuesday the next morning!

IMG_1609

The kids watched a little Lilo & Stitch in their beds before going to sleep. It had been a really fun first port day!

UP NEXT: Laissez le bon temp rouler!

DH & DS look so great all dressed up! Love their pic with Mickey!

The pirate show seems cute! And dinner looked really good!

Very nice of the CM to let you in line to meet Peter!

Sounds like a fun night!!

I love your report! Our first cruise is May 2020 and I’m so excited (but I have a year to wait). We’re also doing 7 nights western on the Fantasy. So i’m keeping notes...

Great updates! The excursions both looked like fun for both the kids and parents. Glad you had fun on pirate night - pictures were so cute especially with Tinker. What a relief to get your tickets printed!

DH & DS look so great all dressed up! Love their pic with Mickey!

The pirate show seems cute! And dinner looked really good!

Very nice of the CM to let you in line to meet Peter!

Sounds like a fun night!!

It was such a bummer to hear we had missed out on all the characters in their pirate stuff but I'm glad DH & DS at least got their pic with Mickey. He was so adorable in his pirate outfit!

It for sure helped having a tiny Tink with me to squeeze into the line as the last family. lol I hate being "that person" but the CM was very gracious.

We all loved Pirate night! The kids still talk about how much they enjoyed it.

I love your report! Our first cruise is May 2020 and I’m so excited (but I have a year to wait). We’re also doing 7 nights western on the Fantasy. So i’m keeping notes...

Thank you!

We booked this cruise which took place March of 2019 back in October 2017, so I definitely can understand the long wait! We are hoping to use our placeholder to book early 2021, so now that the fall itineraries have been released we are looking forward to the next batch since it will include when we want to go!

Great updates! The excursions both looked like fun for both the kids and parents. Glad you had fun on pirate night - pictures were so cute especially with Tinker. What a relief to get your tickets printed!

The excursion was a lot of fun, and great for families with small kids, which a lot of the rest of the group was also.

We really enjoyed pirate night even more than I anticipated. Next time we will definitely make sure we are all awake & ready to meet all the characters in their pirate gear though!

SUCH a relief!! I had stressed about it for almost 2 straight days, so it was great to finally have it fixed and know we weren't going to be out a lot of money or something.

Before jumping into the update, I hope all you DIS Dads have enjoyed a very Happy Father's Day!

Day 5: Tuesday March 5th

Laissez le bon temps rouler!! It was Mardi Gras day! To kick off our day, we woke up around 7:30 am and spent some time being a little lazy in the room. The kids had started watching Lilo & Stitch on TV the night before, and the cool thing about the on demand movies was that you could pick up where you’d left off, so they watched a little more in the morning while DH and I stayed in bed for a bit. We weren’t in a hurry to get up! The night before we had added some Mardi Gras flair to our stateroom door!

IMG_1609

Today we were docked in George Town, Grand Cayman, and we did not have any port adventures booked.

I’ll explain a little bit here why we didn’t have anything planned. When looking at port adventures available through DCL, there were only a few DD could do at her age, and none of them interested us. We did spend some time researching how we could visit Stingray City or the Cayman Turtle Center. DCL offers a port adventure to Stingray City, but it starts at age 5, but they don’t offer anything to the Turtle Center. I found a company called Captain Marvin’s that had good reviews and offered excursions to both, and we were really considering that. But when we looked at videos of Stingray City, DH and I started to think that DD might freak out a bit with how much the stingrays will come up to people and swarm them a bit to get the food they give you to feed them. Plus it included snorkeling, which she is too young for. We decided it probably wasn’t worth trying to figure out transportation to an outside excursion company for something she wouldn’t enjoy anyway.

Anyway, after getting ourselves up and dressed, we were ready to head up to Cabanas for breakfast when I realized DD’s magic band for the kids club was missing! I got a little panicked because it would cost $12 to replace it if we couldn’t find it, which is not a huge deal but it’s $12 we could spend elsewhere. I had taken to wearing it myself because she didn’t like to so that if we were out and about and she decided to go to the kids club, I could just put it on her instead of having to go back to the stateroom for it. We looked all over but couldn’t find it, so we decided to go get breakfast.

DH had his camera with him at breakfast, and I was looking at photos from meeting Peter Pan the night before, which was the last thing we had done before going back to the room, and I was wearing the magic band in the photos, so after breakfast I decided to go back one more time and look for it, since it really seemed like it just HAD to be in there…thankfully I finally found it where it had rolled under DD’s bed!!

With that squared away, we met up at a drawing class happening that morning called Persistence of Vision in D Lounge. We found out we’d be learning how to draw Olaf!

DCL19 04-007

I really miss the drawing classes they had at DHS, so it was cool to get to experience them on the ship! DD is a huge Frozen fan, so of course she was excited to get to draw Olaf. The classes are pretty quick too, so it didn’t give her enough time to be bored since she couldn’t follow along with the instructions, of course.

Right as soon as the class ended, it was time for us to go to the Atrium for our Princess Gathering reservation! This is one of the free onboard activities that although there isn’t a cost associated with it, you do have to reserve it online ahead of time or you can do so on board if you aren’t able to do it in advance. We didn’t get any physical tickets, but we had a time to arrive and get in line, and a CM came around with a list to check us off. We saw we’d be meeting Cinderella, Belle, Ariel, and Tiana. Because of the way they stagger the times, the line wasn’t long and it moved pretty quickly. DS was not excited about meeting princesses, but he tolerated waiting in line with us at least. They were being silly while waiting in line.

DCL19 04-008

Soon enough, it was our turn! First up was Ariel.

DCL19 04-009

We couldn’t hear what they were talking about, but they were very involved in conversation with each other.

Next up was one of DD’s absolute top favorites (although she really does love them all), Cinderella!

After a nice meet with Cinderella, we got to meet Belle in her beautiful yellow ballgown. One of the very cool things about meeting face characters on the ship that’s different from the parks is that they always look exactly the same, if you know what I mean. *wink wink*

Finally, we were ready to meet our hometown girl, Tiana! And what better day than Mardi Gras!

Since we were all wearing our Mardi Gras shirts, we decided to get a family photo with Tiana also.

DCL19 04-023

After our fun princess meet, there was family Disney trivia happening at 10 am at O’Gill’s, so we went to check that out. It was DS’s first time, and he had a lot of fun trying to help us with the answers.

We didn’t win, but we had fun trying! The kids can’t pass stuff like this up without climbing on it, so yeah.

DCL19 04-027

We went up to the pool deck after that for some ice cream and to enjoy the view for a moment!

The kids asked to play miniature golf again and the weather was so nice, so we decided to go do that.

We went back to the room after our game to change into our bathing suits, and while we were in there we decided to give our chocolate that we had made the day before a try!

DCL19 04-034

Looked so cute…tasted disgusting!! :sad2:🤢 It was very grainy and despite all that sugar we put into it, it was VERY dark chocolate! I like dark chocolate, but it was just not good. I guess we should not quit our jobs and move to Cozumel to make chocolate. :rotfl2:

UP NEXT: Pooltime Fun

Last edited:
What a great day on the ship! We are seriously considering staying on the ship for our St. Thomas day this time. We have been to St. Thomas before, and there doesn't seem to be much we would be interested in exploring this time. I can totally see us giving the family trivia a try. Our kiddos are 20, 17, and 13....and we all LOVE some Disney!

Thanks for the Father's Day shout out! I had a pretty good day, but mainly just relaxed and decided my treat was to not mow the lawn, which is what I would normally do on a weekend :p

It's great to know that even if you don't want to do an excursion on a port day, you can still keep yourself busy on the ship.
I really miss the drawing class at DHS too. My family only did it once and DD was a bit too young to really enjoy it (she couldn't really follow the instructions and she was sad her Stitch drawing wasn't as good as the others). I keep hoping that when Galaxy's Edge opens, Launch Bay will turn back into an animation theme, so the Animation Courtyard would actually make sense again!
Too bad about the chocolate. It just shows much sugar is in chocolate bars! I love any kind of chocolate though and I have a hard time resisting it.

Sounds like a fun day on board the ship! Great pics with the princesses!

I was definitely happy to have an excuse for more time on the ship! The princess gathering was really great too, because DD loved getting a chance to meet all the princesses at the same time.

What a great day on the ship! We are seriously considering staying on the ship for our St. Thomas day this time. We have been to St. Thomas before, and there doesn't seem to be much we would be interested in exploring this time. I can totally see us giving the family trivia a try. Our kiddos are 20, 17, and 13....and we all LOVE some Disney!

It's really nice to get some extra ship time, especially on our itinerary with only 2 sea days and one of those being almost exclusively Star Wars activities, so I wasn't disappointed that there wasn't anything that interested us port adventure wise in Grand Cayman.

The trivia is a lot of fun, as was the pictionary!

It's great to know that even if you don't want to do an excursion on a port day, you can still keep yourself busy on the ship.

It worked out really perfectly because it was like a sea day, but the ship wasn't packed so it was a lot easier to do a lot of the activities we wanted to do without the crowds!

I really miss the drawing class at DHS too. My family only did it once and DD was a bit too young to really enjoy it (she couldn't really follow the instructions and she was sad her Stitch drawing wasn't as good as the others). I keep hoping that when Galaxy's Edge opens, Launch Bay will turn back into an animation theme, so the Animation Courtyard would actually make sense again!

Ooh, I hope you're right! That would be really cool if they could bring the Animation building back once they have a whole Star Wars land and not such a need for Launch Bay. I would love to see that make a comeback!

Too bad about the chocolate. It just shows much sugar is in chocolate bars! I love any kind of chocolate though and I have a hard time resisting it.

Yes, the lady even told us it might seem like we were adding a lot of sugar but that it would still be very dark. She was SO RIGHT!!! I can't even fathom how much sugar they add in to sweet chocolate. lol

Day 5 Continued: Tuesday March 5th

Once in our swimsuits and sunscreened, we headed back to the pool deck. We took turns bringing DS on the Aquaduck again, while DD had fun playing in Nemo’s Reef again. Just as we had experienced the day before while in Cozumel, the pool deck had hardly anyone on it, so the kids had a blast.

P3050139

P3050141

P3050142

P3050145

P3050147

DS even joined her in there for a little while since there weren’t a lot of other small kids around. They really loved running through the wall of water.

P3050155

P3050156

P3050160

We had lunch out on the pool deck again also, which was good, quick, and easy. We shared burgers and chicken tenders, and found that one of the other windows had fresh fruit and cookies so we got some of that to share also.

P3050167

P3050168

P3050170

Without waiting for an hour, the kids hopped in the pool! Lol

P3050172

And we got to watch a little bit of Toy Story 2 while the kids swam.

P3050176

We were up there until about 1 when it started to sprinkle some rain, and it was time for DD to go down for a nap anyway, so we headed back to the room. DD and I decided to go ahead and shower for the day at that point, but DH and DS just got changed and wanted to go into port for awhile during DD’s nap. After she was all cleaned up, I put on Tinkerbell from the on demand movies for her to fall asleep to, and she did just that.

Meanwhile, DH and DS took one of the tender boats into port.

P3050187

DCL19 04-001

DCL19 04-003

DCL19 04-004

DCL19 04-005

DCL19 04-006

IMG_1610
Some roaming chickens

IMG_1611
Hard to see, but a huge lizard.

IMG_1612

IMG_1613

IMG_1614

IMG_1617

IMG_1618

IMG_1619

One funny moment DH told me about later was that they kept seeing all these large lizards around, and at one point DS screamed really loud and surprised him. When DH asked him what was wrong DS said, “Oh, I just stepped on a leaf…I thought it was one of those lizards!” lol

When they got back on the ship, DS took a photo in the Star Wars photo op real quick.

P3050217

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!