Let’s Talk Mask Designs and Styles!

For anyone who pre-ordered masks from the ShopDisney site - they showed an availability date of June 15 from the beginning. So if you ordered on the April 30 (the first day), don't expect any masks from Disney until closer to the end of June (Disney's shipping process is notoriously slow). If you didn't order right at the beginning, the availability date has ranged from June 29 through August 5. So tack on 1-2 weeks from that for arrival.

@theluckyrabbit I am checking out the buff style you mentioned... my 13 yo son still wants to go even with a mask requirement (husband and the 15 yo do not) so this might be an option. It seems like it might stay up more easily and that way we don't have to worry about earpieces with sunglasses or something tying behind my head (I usually have my hair in a ponytail). Maybe I'll buy one now and we can "try it on."

I do wonder how hot it will be in the summer, tho... ugh!

Thanks for the suggestion!
Make sure to check out the Buffs with the cooling, wicking fabric. I think those also are UV blocking -- which is great because I don't want a "mask tan" to deal with this summer! The kids in our area are wearing their Buff masks like troopers -- it's clear that they don't love it, but they are able to wear them in stores and at medical offices. So it's worth a try!

That is an interesting solution ! They recommend 3 layers so are you using 3 layers of coffee filters ? I would like to try this solution but afraid that if masks are required that 1. they will not allow this type or 2. people would think I was not using a mask that helps protect them.
The coffee filters we use are thicker than the average 'Mr. Coffee flat bottom white filters' -- so we use two layers, which seem to work fine. DH has been wearing his valve mask since the beginning of March (well before masks were required here) and has never received any negative comments about the valves. In fact, the only comments he's gotten have been questions about where he bought his mask! lol. I know the Bay Area has restrictions on masks with valves, but Humboldt County has exceptions as long as the valves have a filter. Our county has no such restrictions -- basically any mask (within reason) is fine as long as you wear one!

The Office Depot in Culver City has 3 layer disposable masks in packs of 50. Not sure if all locations carry them but it could be worth checking. The masks fit my face very well! No gaps!
Do you have a photo of the box or a brand name so I can find these online? Thanks!

The coffee filters we use are thicker than the average 'Mr. Coffee flat bottom white filters' -- so we use two layers, which seem to work fine. DH has been wearing his valve mask since the beginning of March (well before masks were required here) and has never received any negative comments about the valves. In fact, the only comments he's gotten have been questions about where he bought hs mask! lol. I know the Bay Area has restrictions on masks with valves, but Humboldt County has exceptions as long as the valves have a filter. Our county has no such restrictions -- basically any mask (within reason) is fine as long as you wear one!

Do you have a photo of the box or a brand name so I can find these online? Thanks!
F7AD4E4F-D80A-4668-A49C-569898AB6822.jpeg0E1FE70C-7D3C-4112-BCC5-04C8433264B2.jpeg
it uploaded sideways! But here is the box

The coffee filters we use are thicker than the average 'Mr. Coffee flat bottom white filters' -- so we use two layers, which seem to work fine. DH has been wearing his valve mask since the beginning of March (well before masks were required here) and has never received any negative comments about the valves. In fact, the only comments he's gotten have been questions about where he bought hs mask! lol. I know the Bay Area has restrictions on masks with valves, but Humboldt County has exceptions as long as the valves have a filter. Our county has no such restrictions -- basically any mask (within reason) is fine as long as you wear one!

https://www.officedepot.com/a/products/4993682/Kata-3-Ply-Pleated-Face-Mask/The online link.

Great thread. Lots of good info! I've been making masks, but in all honesty, I've yet to find one I really love. I'll keep trying. I did find the "Jesse Mask". Here's a link to the pattern:
https://media.rainpos.com/220/jessemask.pdf
And a video about it:

It is supposed to be a custom fit. I think I measured wrong, so i have to keep trying. I made one for hubby with thicker elastic that goes around his head, and it is his preferred mask. (Still doesn't love it). He's used his cooling gaiter on runs and likes that as well.

Make sure to check out the Buffs with the cooling, wicking fabric. I think those also are UV blocking -- which is great because I don't want a "mask tan" to deal with this summer! The kids in our area are wearing their Buff masks like troopers -- it's clear that they don't love it, but they are able to wear them in stores and at medical offices. So it's worth a try!

Plus he might enjoy looking a bit like a ninja! (he is "young" for his age!)

I've been called back to my second job and they are giving us a face shield to wear. They are not making masks mandatory as long as you wear the shield but you are allowed to wear both if you can. Just wondering if anyone has worn the clear shields and knows if they are comfy or has any tips?

Interesting about the Valve masks. I don't have any, but I see them a lot down here in Los Angeles.
We’re in the Del Sur area of San Diego and rarely see others wearing any type of masks when they are out walking or socializing in the green space / parks. Hopefully the valve masks you see have the filters in place.

We’re in the Del Sur area of San Diego and rarely see others wearing any type of masks when they are out walking or socializing in the green space / parks. Hopefully the valve masks you see have the filters in place.
I've seen them worn mainly inside the grocery store. And the other day the postmates guy had one on.

Do either of you have a pattern you could share or a link to one? I have made the pleated one but I'd like to try the contoured one. Thanks.

Of course! The hubs started with a pattern from the internet (Men's face mask template below, it looks like it's been revised and updated further on the original site, link is in pdf) that was too small so he adapted it and sized it up.

He has since created his own patterns, two for ties and one for elastic loops (final patterns below), The trick is to adjust this in image software so that the top and bottom tips of the sew lines (the inner lines, outer is after adding seam allowance) are about the distance from the bridge of the nose between the eyes to the bottom tip of the chin plus 1 inch so that it hooks under the chin (estimate slightly larger to be safe - 1.25 inches will fit, but .75 inches will probably not stay put properly). Other than that, instructions from the site are more or less accurate. The taper at the back end is where you want to fold when creating your cord or elastic channel.

Attachments

• Final Pattern.pdf
    76.6 KB · Views: 7
  • Final Pattern Loops.pdf
    76.1 KB · Views: 2
  • men-face-mask-template-rev3.pdf
    56.7 KB · Views: 0
  • Final Pattern Flat Sides.pdf
    65.5 KB · Views: 1
I made a few using this pattern but DH and some extended family prefer the pleated ones. I make those in 3 different sizes.

https://thecraftyquilter.com/2020/03/versatile-face-mask-pattern-and-tutorial/
Of course! The hubs started with a pattern from the internet (Men's face mask template below, it looks like it's been revised and updated further on the original site, link is in pdf) that was too small so he adapted it and sized it up.

He has since created his own patterns, two for ties and one for elastic loops (final patterns below), The trick is to adjust this in image software so that the top and bottom tips of the sew lines (the inner lines, outer is after adding seam allowance) are about the distance from the bridge of the nose between the eyes to the bottom tip of the chin plus 1 inch so that it hooks under the chin (estimate slightly larger to be safe - 1.25 inches will fit, but .75 inches will probably not stay put properly). Other than that, instructions from the site are more or less accurate. The taper at the back end is where you want to fold when creating your cord or elastic channel.

Thank you. I have some sewing to do soon. :-)

That seems to be a good work around but does he find that it makes it hotter having 2 masks ?
It hasn’t bothered him heat-wise when he’s out shopping. He will also sometimes wear a cloth mask over a disposable, paper mask.

Another brother wears a cloth mask over an N95 mask, mainly to keep the mask clean.

I’m not sure how comfortable a double layer of masks will be for all day in DL. I did notice that this past weekend not all guests were wearing their masks in DSprings even when Josh D’Amaro and Security were nearby. Wearing the best mask that will keep you protected in the park is the best plan.

I've been called back to my second job and they are giving us a face shield to wear. They are not making masks mandatory as long as you wear the shield but you are allowed to wear both if you can. Just wondering if anyone has worn the clear shields and knows if they are comfy or has any tips?
A few of my coworkers have these. My boss wore one today and she prefers it over the mask because she can breathe better with it vs the mask. She said that she prefers using contacts instead of glasses with the shield because it gets heavy on the face/nose to have both on.

My SIL sent us 2 homemade masks each. Everyone got a solid one and a cartoon one. My guys got Star Wars and mine is Wonder Woman! I ordered a Minecraft print from Etsy for my youngest son and he loves it. I got a seahorse print and a sea turtle print from Etsy. One took a week to get here and the other took 6 weeks to get here. I just toss them in the wash and hang to dry. I definitely get the most compliments on my Wonder Woman mask. Then I make some joke about flying around in my invisible plane. Whatever keeps people's spirits up these days!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter