Lessons learned from my first cruise

MomOTwins

The Mommy Fairy
Wow, just got home from my first disney cruise. So exhausted, but glad we went. My kids started begging for another cruise before we even left the ship.

I was one of those people that had a million questions ahead of time, and I couldn't easily find answers to some of them, so I thought I'd post a few unusual things I learned in case it is helpful to anyone:

Q: DCL resort transfer - what does it mean that you do not have a port arrival time?
A: Because we booked a DCL transfer from a resort, we did not get a port arrival time. I was afraid that would mean we would have to wait to be the last to board. In reality, on arrival we were given the boarding number that was currently boarding and could walk right on. It worked great!

Q: Do you need to book the Frozen and Princess meet and greets?
A: I thought having a reservation would mean a "fastpass" like short line, but the line after we checked in was much longer than any other character meet we did and was in a very unmagical location (we were in animators palate, and all the tables had cloths over them and chairs stacked, so it looked like a construction site) instead of the beautiful lobby like the other meet and greets. I would not do this unless you must see Anna and Elsa, since they (unlike other princesses) did not appear at other times on the ship.

Q: Do you need to book Port Adventures?
A: I purposefully did not book any port adventures because I wanted to see if we would enjoy the cruise without the extra expense. My hunch was right, as we had a blast enjoying the ship on Nassau day with so many free activities on board, and I am glad we did not book anything at Castaway because the kids (age 6 and below) were so worn out from swim and sand all morning that we ended up heading back to the ship right after lunch (which ended up being lucky since a thunderstorm rolled in in the afternoon).

Q: Will I be okay with an 11:30 return flight?
A: I had an 11:35am Southwest return flight (so could not use onboard check-in). I saw a lot of warnings on the forums suggesting we would need to carry off our own suitcases and book private transfers. I decided to trust the DCL website's recommendation that flights could be booked at 11:30 or later, and it was all fine. We put out our suitcases the night before, went to our assigned early seating breakfast at 6:45, were done eating at 7:18 and disembarked then. We tipped a porter to help locate our bags and guide us through customs and the terminal to the DCL transfer buses. We arrived at the airport at 8:22, and despite having long lines at security, were at our gate at 9:25.

Q: What happens if you get stomach flu on the ship? A: I wish I did not have an answer to this, but I do, so oh well--maybe it will be helpful for others to know. With a classic case of worst timing ever, my husband got with either food poisoning or a stomach bug around midnight the first night we set sail. We are not the type to try to sneak under the radar and cause a health risk to others, so he went down to the clinic as soon as it opened, which is 9:30am. They gave him some Imodium and quarantined him in the room for 24 hours. They were very nice and even allowed him to order dinner from Animator's Palate to be delivered to the room. Thank goodness for the extensive library of in-room disney movies to keep him entertained (now including Marvel), but I do wish in hindsight I had splurged for a verandah so he could have gone outside. Thankfully, as none of the rest of us had any symptoms, they let the rest of our family enjoy the ship. I obsessively sterilized all the surfaces and door handles before letting the kids back into the room with him, and thankfully none of us got sick the rest of the trip. He was feeling better when went in to the clinic for a check in the next morning and was cleared by the ship's doctor to go to Castaway Cay. We are sad he missed a day, but it was not as bad as the worst case scenarios I had been imagining.

Thanks for the information. I'm taking my first cruise in November and found it very helpful. My dd loves meet and greets but we've met the Frozen princesses many times so I think we should skip it. But would anyone see the princesses if they weren't at the meet and greet? Meaning, would we run the of dd seeing the meet and greet because it's somewhere you go by frequently.

Wow, just got home from my first disney cruise. So exhausted, but glad we went. My kids started begging for another cruise before we even left the ship.

I was one of those people that had a million questions ahead of time, and I couldn't easily find answers to some of them, so I thought I'd post a few unusual things I learned in case it is helpful to anyone:

Great post! Lots of very helpful information!

I have a couple of questions. What time did you get to the ship from the resort?

What time did you do the Frozen M&G? One thing that I found, but I don't see much mention of, is that the line tends to grow over time. Thus, if one wants to avoid lines for frozen, one should book as early a time as possible. Thanks for pointing this out for future travelers! Glad you had a good trip.

I'll say that when we saw the Frozen M&G, we walked right up. I think it's just a matter of luck in booking time and arrival.

While it was in Animator's Palate, it had a lovely photo backdrop, and it was a LOT less chaotic than the Princess Greet in the atrium, which was also ticketed, but everyone has access and the CMs have quite the job to do to contain the chaos. We also saw R2D2 and C3P0 and Chewbacca in AP, and they also had nice backdrops, good areas to meet in, and low chaos factors.

The chairs were not on the tables the 2 times we went to Frozen Meet and Greet. Yes they were also in Animators.

Q: Do you need to book the Frozen and Princess meet and greets?
A: I thought having a reservation would mean a "fastpass" like short line, but the line after we checked in was much longer than any other character meet we did and was in a very unmagical location (we were in animators palate, and all the tables had cloths over them and chairs stacked, so it looked like a construction site) instead of the beautiful lobby like the other meet and greets. I would not do this unless you must see Anna and Elsa, since they (unlike other princesses) did not appear at other times on the ship.

That is such a bummer that your line was so long! I wonder what happened in the previous groups or if the ticket taker wasn't being careful with the time stamps. We have also not had that experience.

In terms of the AP location, we liked it. It was fun seeing the screens with all the backgrounds from the movie and hearing the music piped in. The lighting is strange though and makes taking your own pictures almost impossible.

I think one of the reasons for having it in AP, rather than the atrium, is to cut down on the amount "I'm sorry, this is a ticketed event"s that cast members have to tell disappointed parents and kids. It was also fairly common for M&Gs in the atrium area for kids to break loose from their parents and go running up to the princess/character.

Great post! Lots of very helpful information!

I have a couple of questions. What time did you get to the ship from the resort?

What time did you do the Frozen M&G? One thing that I found, but I don't see much mention of, is that the line tends to grow over time. Thus, if one wants to avoid lines for frozen, one should book as early a time as possible. Thanks for pointing this out for future travelers! Glad you had a good trip.

We left the resort (AKL) at 11am, made one stop at another resort, and arrived at the port around 12:15/12:20-ish.

You probably hit the nail on the head for why it was so awful for us - we had a noon Frozen M&G time, and the line was all the way to the door and packed tight, so maybe it is better in the morning. That doesn't make much sense to me though since it was completely sold out at all times so if they are enforcing arrival times it should be a constant level of traffic. AP's format also bugged me because I had a fussy toddler and there was nowhere to sit with him. If we had been in the Atrium, or even somewhere like D lounge, I could have sat on a bench while the older kids waited in line. The screens showing the Frozen castle were actually a problem for him because he kept wanting to leave the cordoned off line area to get a closer view.

We left the resort (AKL) at 11am, made one stop at another resort, and arrived at the port around 12:15/12:20-ish.

You probably hit the nail on the head for why it was so awful for us - we had a noon Frozen M&G time, and the line was all the way to the door and packed tight, so maybe it is better in the morning. That doesn't make much sense to me though since it was completely sold out at all times so if they are enforcing arrival times it should be a constant level of traffic. AP's format also bugged me because I had a fussy toddler and there was nowhere to sit with him. If we had been in the Atrium, or even somewhere like D lounge, I could have sat on a bench while the older kids waited in line. The screens showing the Frozen castle were actually a problem for him because he kept wanting to leave the cordoned off line area to get a closer view.

Thanks. That makes a lot of sense. I get the sense that they don't strictly enforce the end point on those time windows, so perhaps some people with a 10:30 time show up at 11 and people with an 11 show up at 11:30 and so it starts to build up. Even that probably shouldn't effect things too much except they may well allow just a few too many people per time slot so that would build over time also.

Still, it is a hard thing to manage. The characters want everyone to feel special so they don't want to rush anyone through. Also, it must be hard to figure out how long any given 100 people might take. If you have a lot of "spectator" adults watching a few kids it might go faster. If you have a group that each wants their own set of poses or lots of combinations, it could take a lot longer. Mostly DCL probably manages it by the law of averages, but on any given day, it could get out of hand. Still, it was great to hear your experiences. That's what makes these boards great!

I think one of the reasons for having it in AP, rather than the atrium, is to cut down on the amount "I'm sorry, this is a ticketed event"s that cast members have to tell disappointed parents and kids. It was also fairly common for M&Gs in the atrium area for kids to break loose from their parents and go running up to the princess/character.

It's actually to do with licensing. They're not meant to be seen around the ship or not be in front of their backdrop, even when Olaf goes to the kids clubs they use a tiny service elevator that goes into the nursery, which no other characters use to go to the clubs. Apparently the deck show is slightly different, but for now you won't meet Elsa or Anna wandering the ship like you might see Cinderella on formal night, or Belle during embark.

I'm sure once the licensing gets like all the others, they'll just be added to the normal meet and greets. The same happens with Disney jr when they first started on the ships.

I get the sense that they don't strictly enforce the end point on those time windows, so perhaps some people with a 10:30 time show up at 11 and people with an 11 show up at 11:30 and so it starts to build up. Even that probably shouldn't effect things too much except they may well allow just a few too many people per time slot so that would build over time also.
Some CM's definitely enforce the times. We almost missed our window when our princess meet ran long. They closed the doors to AP right after we entered. I would definitely not count on being allowed in if you miss your time. But, as we all know, DCL employees can vary.

We actually loved having Anna, Elsa and Olaf in AP. The back drop was very pretty and we enjoyed looking at pictures on the screens while we waited. Preferred it over the Atrium lobby. :-)

I just want to be clear, other than Elsa and Anna,. If I don't sign up for a meet and greet. My daughter will still have an opportunity to meet the princesses and take pics? Is that what I have seen post about looking in navigator once on board?

That makes no sense to me as they are sister companies but I'm not a business major and you've worked there so I'm guessing you know what is going on better than I do.

It's part of the same reason that Elsa and Anna are NOT Disney Princesses. It's a different IP. So Elsa and Anna cannot appear with Cinderella, for instance.

Just because brands are owned by the same company doesn't mean they can mix them. They're separate registered properties, so mixing them requires specific actions, else they will be seen to have diluted the copyright, and copyright dilution is dangerous from a rights perspective.

This is why a lot of the new IP meet and greets are in very enclosed spaces - think the Marvel meet and greet at DHS, Cruz Ramirez, etc. It's the same principle.

When you throw in that Disney is going to be trying to shake everything in their legislative wing to get another change of copyright rule to keep Mickey out of the public realm in a few years, they're going to be doctrine about rights on everything else. (See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Copyright_Term_Extension_Act, it has some details. But with Mickey now looking at a 2024 public domain, they're undoubtedly working on an extension plan already.)

I just want to be clear, other than Elsa and Anna,. If I don't sign up for a meet and greet. My daughter will still have an opportunity to meet the princesses and take pics? Is that what I have seen post about looking in navigator once on board?

The princesses do the Princess Gathering (ticketed), which gets you all of them in a single run. The ladies also appear at various time in various spots. Timing and queue length vary.

It's part of the same reason that Elsa and Anna are NOT Disney Princesses. It's a different IP. So Elsa and Anna cannot appear with Cinderella, for instance.

Just because brands are owned by the same company doesn't mean they can mix them. They're separate registered properties, so mixing them requires specific actions, else they will be seen to have diluted the copyright, and copyright dilution is dangerous from a rights perspective.

This is why a lot of the new IP meet and greets are in very enclosed spaces - think the Marvel meet and greet at DHS, Cruz Ramirez, etc. It's the same principle.

When you throw in that Disney is going to be trying to shake everything in their legislative wing to get another change of copyright rule to keep Mickey out of the public realm in a few years, they're going to be doctrine about rights on everything else. (See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Copyright_Term_Extension_Act, it has some details. But with Mickey now looking at a 2024 public domain, they're undoubtedly working on an extension plan already.)

Before I start I'm going to say that I'm not disagreeing with you, just musing on a few related observations --

Another reason for the Marvel characters to be so enclosed at DHS is the complicated issue of intellectual property rights for Marvel as regards theme parks in Florida. Universal Studios retained those rights, supposedly exclusively, and from what I've been told the little meet and greets in WDW (the Star-Lord and Baby Groot meet at DHS and the Dr. Strange street show they had in another part of the park for a while) can be loopholed in only if Disney doesn't advertise them. They're literally not even listed on the park map; you just have to either know about them from word of mouth or get lucky and stumble across them.

Marvel is obviously much less restricted in the California parks, but you still don't see the Marvel characters going out for M&G with Mickey or the princesses or what-have-you, so I think you're on the money about it also being an issue of copyright dilution. Even on DCL where you did have a mix of both classic Disney characters and Marvel, they never posed the two groups together -- you can get a picture with Mickey and friends dressed up in their superhero costumes and you can get a picture of Thor and Loki and whomever else, but you can never got a picture of both together. I do find it interesting, though, that the Disney characters do go out in cosplay as Marvel characters during MDAS. It's very much pitched as "Donald is a fan of the Hulk and has dressed up as his favorite hero," though, rather than positioning the characters as co-existing within the same "universe" (even though they're all on the same ship? Idk, Idk).

It was also always a big issue in Disney Infinity when that was still an active project. You could play all the characters in the sandbox, but only Star Wars characters could be played in the Star Wars modules, only Marvel characters in Marvel modules, etc. That's also why I expect the Disney mobile games like Magic Kingdoms to never get Marvel or SW crossovers events despite it theoretically being lucrative (though they did get a Frozen crossover, so...go figure?).

Yes, princesses and other characters will have meet and greet times posted in the Personal Navigator, if you really want to meet 1 in particular, I'd get in line 5-10 min. before the posted start time. You may also bump into some characters just wandering around the ship. On our Wonder Alaskan cruise in 2016, Ariel was just walking around and asked if we wanted pics with her. We saw other 'unlisted' characters out on the Promenade on deck 4 on 'Tracy Arm day'--Pluto, Daisy, Koda, etc.

As others said, you can also get tix for the 'Princess Gathering' which will be around 3 princesses.

We've done the Frozen M&G on 3 different ships (Dream, Fantasy, Wonder) and never really had to wait. It seems like 2 of the 3 times we were the only ones in there. The other time we had to wait behind 2 families. We never go at the very beginning time on our tickets though. We usually wait a little closer to the ending time. Maybe it's more crowded at the beginning. I do agree that the lighting is terrible and I'm always glad I buy the photo package because my photos turn out terrible.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter