Less busiest holidays for large groups

mpadilla89

Mouseketeer
So we go to Disneyland about once a year or every other year. We would go more but work and kids school/sports don't give us more time.

We already have a trip planned for this year 2017. In 2019 ( yes planning ahead) we will be going with a group of about 15 ppl. 10 of those are my family( parents, siblings, older siblings s/o, kids) We have all gone many times. The other 5 have only been once about 10 years ago and had a bad experience. Mostly due to the fact that they arrived around noon and didn't know there way around the park and didn't end up seeing many characters.

I have been tasked with planning trip for all of us. I love Disneyland & really want them to havea better experience. They only have time off on school holidays. Which would be est with lower crowds( tolerable), characters, open rides.

January- MLK
Feb-Presidents ( not preferred by me, but willing )
veterans day weekend
Thanksgiving week ( wed- mon )
xmas break

Could also do maybe a 2 or 3 day park hopper in october during Columbus weekend.

preference for them is nov-jan. I just want a date where we can enjoy Disneyland.

It's worth noting that Star Wars Land is slated to open sometime in 2019. They have not yet said when, so that will have a huge impact on crowds after it opens. I think the best guesses at this point is that they're aiming for a summertime opening, so anything after that would be very busy, but without a firm date, it's hard to say...just keep an eye on the Parks Blog and hopefully you won't plan to be there near when it opens. Overall, I would probably aim for as early in 2019 as possible if you're hoping to avoid Star Wars Land and the crowds associated with it.
  • January (MLK) is typically a pretty busy weekend, but there may also a number of closures (as attractions have their holiday overlays removed, general refurbishment, etc.), reduced operating hours (usually more of an issue on weekdays), and there may be a marathon (Star Wars: Light Side). This is probably one of the better options for crowds, but not necessarily very good for characters and attractions.
  • February (President's Day weekend) will have many of the same pros and cons as MLK, but no marathon (most likely). This is probably one of the better options for crowds, but not necessarily very good for characters.
  • October (Columbus) is part of the very popular HalloweenTime. The weekends will be very busy, but the weekdays might be okay (avoid the week with UEA if at all possible).
  • November (Veterans Day) is often around the kick off to the Holiday season in DLR. So it can be very busy as guests come in to see the holiday offerings for the first time. There may also be a marathon around this time (Super Hero marathon).
  • November (Thanksgiving) might be your best bet, but a lot of schools get the whole week off. I think there will be crowds, but there should be a lot of characters, few closures, and full operating schedule.
  • December (Xmas break) is probably the busiest time of the year in DLR. The week between Xmas and NYE is usually the busiest week and there are often capacity closures at some point. I would avoid this week if you're trying to avoid crowds. There should be very few closures, lots of characters, and long hours/full entertainment, and huge crowds.

I vote for Thanksgiving. We do this every year and while it's busy, it's tolerable and the weather is usually good.

We've been President's Day weekend twice and both times were completely packed. The most recent being this year when it also poured.

I know it's not our list but the last week of June we've found to be the best in terms of crowds and weather. I'll default to the answers above on the other dates. But as was mentioned, with Star Wars land scheduled to open sometime during the year, I think it's a crap shoot to pick right now.

Do you have to fly? Getting 10-15 people somewhere during the busiest travel week of the year could be a tall order. You have this year to wait and see what happens with Christmas now that more APs are blocked than last year. Also, it's possible they won't continue the Veteran's Day runDisney weekends.

Do you have to fly? Getting 10-15 people somewhere during the busiest travel week of the year could be a tall order. You have this year to wait and see what happens with Christmas now that more APs are blocked than last year. Also, it's possible they won't continue the Veteran's Day runDisney weekends.
no we do not have to fly omg imagine the cost for flights. We live in the bay area so it would be much much cheaper to drive. We are going in Christmas this year & i'm not sure what to expect. It woulds be nice to go in Christmas as a big family and enjoy 4 or five days at the parks.

It's worth noting that Star Wars Land is slated to open sometime in 2019. They have not yet said when, so that will have a huge impact on crowds after it opens. I think the best guesses at this point is that they're aiming for a summertime opening, so anything after that would be very busy, but without a firm date, it's hard to say...just keep an eye on the Parks Blog and hopefully you won't plan to be there near when it opens. Overall, I would probably aim for as early in 2019 as possible if you're hoping to avoid Star Wars Land and the crowds associated with it.
  • January (MLK) is typically a pretty busy weekend, but there may also a number of closures (as attractions have their holiday overlays removed, general refurbishment, etc.), reduced operating hours (usually more of an issue on weekdays), and there may be a marathon (Star Wars: Light Side). This is probably one of the better options for crowds, but not necessarily very good for characters and attractions.
  • February (President's Day weekend) will have many of the same pros and cons as MLK, but no marathon (most likely). This is probably one of the better options for crowds, but not necessarily very good for characters.
  • October (Columbus) is part of the very popular HalloweenTime. The weekends will be very busy, but the weekdays might be okay (avoid the week with UEA if at all possible).
  • November (Veterans Day) is often around the kick off to the Holiday season in DLR. So it can be very busy as guests come in to see the holiday offerings for the first time. There may also be a marathon around this time (Super Hero marathon).
  • November (Thanksgiving) might be your best bet, but a lot of schools get the whole week off. I think there will be crowds, but there should be a lot of characters, few closures, and full operating schedule.
  • December (Xmas break) is probably the busiest time of the year in DLR. The week between Xmas and NYE is usually the busiest week and there are often capacity closures at some point. I would avoid this week if you're trying to avoid crowds. There should be very few closures, lots of characters, and long hours/full entertainment, and huge crowds.
Yes the famous star wars land. I will have to keep an eye on opening dates for that. I would like Christmas because of all the decor , but it might be too busy and sometimes that can get annoying and not fun.

I am leaning towards Thanksgiving or MLK. Honestly the reason I like MLK weekend is because its DD bday on the 15 mine on the 23 and DH on the 26 So we could Celebrate!!! But I guess i have to think about everyone else too( maybe I will change our xmas trip this year to MLK weekend)

Comparing all the dates to Christmas crowds how much more or less crowded are they?
It's really impossible to say since crowd patterns have changed so much lately.

For instance, this past year was the first year that only Sig+ could get in the two weeks around Christmas. As a result, the week before Christmas was dreamy! (The week after was still pretty crazy.) Will that happen again? Who knows? Maybe word will get out that the week before is a "good" week to go and it will get crazy... or maybe it will remain a nice time to visit. It also depends a bit on what day of the week Christmas is and when the school breaks all happen accordingly...

Also, Presidents Day weekend 2017 was rough, and the week after it was even worse. Do not recommend.

Check the races scheduled for Disneyland for sure. I think there is at least 2 and I'm almost certain they are on holidays. This year there is one near Veteran's Day. We can usually get a room at our preferred hotel for $200 or less. That weekend it is $700 or more. I'm not sure how many of those people will be in the parks, but hotels are insane.

It's really impossible to say since crowd patterns have changed so much lately.

For instance, this past year was the first year that only Sig+ could get in the two weeks around Christmas. As a result, the week before Christmas was dreamy! (The week after was still pretty crazy.) Will that happen again? Who knows? Maybe word will get out that the week before is a "good" week to go and it will get crazy... or maybe it will remain a nice time to visit. It also depends a bit on what day of the week Christmas is and when the school breaks all happen accordingly...

Also, Presidents Day weekend 2017 was rough, and the week after it was even worse. Do not recommend.

Yes i have definitely been seeing change on busy time. We had a nice time in xmas weekend in 2013. it was crowded after events but it was manageable. I might end up switching my own trip due to the fact that everyone keeps saying xmas has been super packed because we have a first timer with us. but wouldn't mind it for the 2019 trip since we are all adult(ish).

I'd let my kids take some days off of school and use some vacation time at work. The best time imo is end oct/early nov but before dapper days.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter