Legoland or Universal

lookame

DIS Veteran
We have one day which we can do an extra park outside of Disney. We have 2 kids, a 4 year old daughter and 12 year old son. My 4 year old will be about 40 in and 15 year old is more 55 in(?) Anyway both kids could go either way although I think my son would prefer Universal. Universal tickets for one day, however, are $720 for park to park and $500 for one park. Legoland is much better priced at $260 (making the budget easier to handle). I am not all the excited about LEGOLAND since my Ravenclaw heart want to see Universal but it's not about me lol.

Between Universal and LEGOLAND which do you think works out to be the better option for us? (It's difficult having an old kiddo and a young kiddo)

Is there another, better option aside from these two theme parks I should consider? We'll be going in January and considered maybe a day at Blizzard Beach or maybe Medieval Times (we did a dinner show in Tennessee my son was a huge fan of) Maybe Wonderworks or Ripleyes Believe it or Not? Or the Crayola factory/museum thing in the mall? We'll have to Uber/lyft offsite though so I don't want to go to far away from Disney.

Is there anything I'm not thinking of on Disney property aside from another park day (DS doesn't want to go toDisney another day)?

Last edited:
We have been to lots of amusement parks over the years....but never a Legoland. If those were my choices, I would spend the extra money and do Universal...based on what I have read and heard from family, my sons wouldn't have enjoyed Legoland as much as they do other parks....even when younger than 12. We did have a blast spending several days at Universal many years ago when they were (I think) 4, 8 and 12. And much has been added since then. That said, I do think it is hard to swallow the expense difference. I would hate to be buying single day tickets when multiple day tickets must be a better deal.

NEither. No way I could stomach the one day price for universal and your 12 year old has definitely aged out of legoland.

You don’t say how long at Disney. I’d just do another day there or a resort day. Or do some things on I-drive.

We've never done Universal, but I have a very young 12yo who I am pretty sure with roll his eyes the entire time we were in LEGOland should we ever bring him back there. It was awesome when they were little, but I think Universal ($$$$ :worried:) would be more interesting to him. Also...HP World...I mean, right?? I wish you could JUST get a ticket to visit HP World. I would be all over that. I have zero desire to see anything but HP over there. :yoda: ( I am pretending that's a Snitch, not a Yoda...It is the closest I could find:D)

NEither. No way I could stomach the one day price for universal and your 12 year old has definitely aged out of legoland.

You don’t say how long at Disney. I’d just do another day there or a resort day. Or do some things on I-drive.
We'll be in Florida for 8 nights. We have 5 day tickets but my parents are flying in 3 days after we do so that's when we'll start Disney parks. Before then we plan Disney Springs and a spare day at a different park.

We've never done Universal, but I have a very young 12yo who I am pretty sure with roll his eyes the entire time we were in LEGOland should we ever bring him back there. It was awesome when they were little, but I think Universal ($$$$ :worried:) would be more interesting to him. Also...HP World...I mean, right?? I wish you could JUST get a ticket to visit HP World. I would be all over that. I have zero desire to see anything but HP over there. :yoda: ( I am pretending that's a Snitch, not a Yoda...It is the closest I could find:D)

That's the issue....HP world spans both parks so in order to enjoy all of HP world I'd have to buy the park to park ticket.

Does anyone have a suggestion for a good thing to do for our spare day (we already have 2 days we're spending at Disney Springs and resort hopping) my 12 year old wants to do a theme park but isn't interested in Sea World or the space center...I thought about the Crayola factory...

We're going in January so don't know if purchasing tickets to the Disney waterparks are worth it...

Last edited:

My kids (I have 5, of all ages) absolutely love US. WWHP is amazing, like nothing else. It is expensive though, and one day won’t be enough to see both parks, but maybe you could focus on the Harry Potter parts if you get the park to park. Little ones love the Seus area, Fievels playland, curious George area and the Jurassic area. So while US is geared towards older kids, there’s lots for littles too. I’ve never done LEGOland though, so I can’t speak to that. We do 2 USdays on most of our Disney trips.

We love Legoland and have been more than once, but we have a 7 year old. I agree it wouldn't keep a 12 year old interested for very long. We've only been to Universal once because of those prices, but we had a great time. Especially with the Harry Potter aspects.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!