Legoland - Is it worth it??

carolinamama

Mouseketeer
We're in the midst of planning a trip to California for this July, and we're hitting DL up for a few days, then hitting some other SoCal places. I'm super excited considering my prior California experience consisted of Death Valley in August...

By the summer, we'll have DS7 and DD3. DS is a HUGE Lego fan. A boy obsessed. He even goes to Lego Camp. So, he thinks he'll like Legoland just because it's Lego. But will he? I know it's made for the under 12 crowd, so that's good, but is it worth driving from Anaheim down for a day?

Also, I know there's a new water park addition on the way, but we're not sure if it's a separate park or part of the main park (we have an amusement park here similar to Six Flags that also has a water park as a component of the main park and doesn't have a separate admission fee). Does anyone know?

Thanks!

We did a day trip from our Anaheim hotel to Legoland in December of 2008 (DS was 7 and DD was 4 at the time). We LOVED it. First I should say that we went there before we spent any days inside Disneyland. We didn't want to end our So. Cal. trip with a day at LL, because in our opinion nothing can compare to Disneyland. Our friends ended their trip at LL, and I think it might have fallen a bit short for them.

But, having said that, we had a GREAT day (we tried to add another day at Legoland to a more recent trip to Disneyland, but DD got sick and we had to stay in Anaheim). I think it would be very worth it to make the trip down. We had done DL may times before, but this was new and different and really fun. I'm glad we did it before the kids got too much older. You may want to check the height requirements for your DD3. My DD was able to do most of the kiddie rides, including the lego horses that go around and around in a track. That was her favorite, and she did it many times. If she wasn't tall enough for all of the kiddie rides, the day might have been a bit different. Not bad, but she had a blast riding everything.

We didn't do the water parks, but they looked great. There was certainly enough to do and see without them, but I say bring a bathing suit and towl and keep it in the locker in case your kids want to play in the water.

Good luck deciding and have a great trip!
P.S. Lego Camp? Never heard of that but my son would love it!!!

Hi! I am trying to gather info for adding on legoland to our DLR trip this summer as well! We have never been, so I was on their website and they have info about the waterpark, I think it said admission is an extra $10 on top of the regular admission fee. There is more info on their website though:) We are trying to determine is one day is enough or if we will need two days with the water park?:confused3

My DS who will be 7 is also a huge lego freak! I think he's more excited for Legoland than DL!

We love LegoLand and San Diego.

We are from the northeast and had FF miles that we HAD to use last summer. We looked at a map and picked San Diego. We spent 7 nights in Carlsbad, I know it isn't exactly San Diego but close. We hit all the big attractions (Zoo, Wild Animail park, Sea World and LegoLand). The last day we gave the kids (DS5, DD5) a choice of what to go back to..... no question.... LegoLand.

You could do all of LegoLand in 1 day. We went back for their more favorite rides and we also left a bit early to go to the beach. We did not go to the Sealife part. With the addition of the waterpark, 2 days would be great.

So started thinking about this year.... We have more FF that are about to expire. We are going back for another week!
But I've got a different problem.... I'm trying to figure out if it is worth it to take a day to drive to DL. :confused3

I would highly recomend LegoLand to anyone with smaller children. I haven't been to DL but plenty of times to WDW and don't get me wrong it is great and tons of fun but it isn't exactly relaxing. The rides are definately geared to smaller kids. The lego models are cool. The crowds and pace are much less. We recently got back from WDW and a DCL cruise, when we asked the kids where to this summer, they picked LegoLand and another smaller/local amusement place.

I know they are opening a Legoland not far from Orlando in a year or two? We love theme parks, but have never been to a Legoland. By the time they open it, my son will be 16. Would it still be worth it to give it a visit or would you say it's more for younger kids vs. teens/adults? Note: We get to Orlando for a mini trip (usually just three nights or so) annually and like all of the Orlando theme parks. Our two favorite theme/amusement parks nation wide are 1) Sea World (love those marine mammals) and 2) Cedar Point in Sandusky, OH (soo many great coasters)

My son has always enjoyed Legos. Being older now (14) still likes these, and sometimes gets the adult sets (listed as age 16+ but certainly fine for any 14 year old who grew up doing these) in the Lego catalogs. I appreciate your thoughts/recommendations.

My friend just went to Legoland a few weeks ago with her family. Her kids are in 3rd grade, 6th grade, and 8th grade. She said they had fun, but that she felt like it made her a bit sad that it would their last trip there. She said her older daughter was a good sport about it, and I think they are glad that they went (they had not been before). But in her opinion it is more of a little kids park.....and I would definitely agree.

But that doesn't mean all ages can't enjoy it! Miniland is very impressive. Maybe if think of it as more of an interactive museum, you would not be let down.

Just don't go expecting big thrill rides, because the rides are VERY tame. If you watch the video on their website previewing the waterpark they are planning on opening this summer, it says they are making it for kids age 3-12. Or maybe it was 2-12. Anyway, I think that might be the target audience for the entire theme park. As my kids get older (and taller) I'm sure they would rather go to Knotts or Six Flags Magic Mountain for the bigger thrills.

But who knows what they will put in if they build a Legoland in Orlando? Maybe they will include more for the older set!

We really want to try to make it back to Legoland sometime this year. My kids will be 6 and 9 then, and it will probably be our last trip (sigh).

Legoland is unique - a park specifically suited for little kids. My DD loved it at ages 4 and 6 and she would probably enjoy it thru age 9...maybe...after that, she'd probably be bored. For kids 9 or under, it's a terrific intro to theme parks.

I agree that it is best for kids under 9 or 10.

It is fun and different from Disney. We tied it in with a trip to Sea World and the San Diego Zoo.

We took my granddaughter there when she was 3 and she loved it. As soon as she walked in the entrance, her face just lit up and she shouted, "BWOCKS!" (blocks). It is definitely geared to young children.

We all (me, 2 kids (10 and 7), grandma -- DH had to stay at home) loved it. I've been to 3 Legolands -- I think they are great!

It was an easy drive from Disney -- we got there at opening -- and spent a great day at the park. It got VERY crowded by the afternoon so try to hit it in the morning. Volvo driving school often has the longest line so go there first if you are interested. The boat line can get long too. We were back in Anaheim by dinner and went to DCA that night, IIRC.

I thought it was totally worth it. I bet your kids will love it. Legoland discounts are easy to come by, so look online. One thing -- there are no discounts for the Legos in the store there, so you'll be paying the same price if you buy anything.

Have fun!

We're in the midst of planning a trip to California for this July, and we're hitting DL up for a few days, then hitting some other SoCal places. I'm super excited considering my prior California experience consisted of Death Valley in August...

By the summer, we'll have DS7 and DD3. DS is a HUGE Lego fan. A boy obsessed. He even goes to Lego Camp. So, he thinks he'll like Legoland just because it's Lego. But will he? I know it's made for the under 12 crowd, so that's good, but is it worth driving from Anaheim down for a day?

Also, I know there's a new water park addition on the way, but we're not sure if it's a separate park or part of the main park (we have an amusement park here similar to Six Flags that also has a water park as a component of the main park and doesn't have a separate admission fee). Does anyone know?

Thanks!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter