Leg Positioning on Astro Orbiter and Space Mountain

LongLiveRafiki

DIS Veteran
I've never ridden Astro Orbiter before and haven't been on SM since I was 6. I tried looking up photos but can't see the depth of the ride vehicles in how legs are positioned.

For these two rides, are you sitting with your knees bent at a roughly 90 degree angle with feet flat on the floor, or are your legs extended in front of you with the seat at the same, or close to the same, level as your legs?

Just asking because I have a hip problem and if you sit with legs extended, I will be able to get in, but would need help standing back up. It would be helpful to know in advance so I can tell my husband in advance to wait and give me a hand rather than rush off toward the exit. Thanks!

It'll depend on how tall you are. Most adults will have their knees somewhat bent. If you are very tall, it can be uncomfortable. Try not to sit in the front cars of Space Mountain if you are very tall as there is less depth there.

nice leg room IF you don't sit in FRONT. I can't sit in the FRONT of either due to the non existent LEG ROOM.

The issue isn't really with the amount of leg room, but with whether you will be sitting sort of like how you would in a chair with your feet flat on the ground vs for instance sitting on the floor with your legs extended in front of you. Maybe a better way to ask this is: Is the seat at floor level of the ride vehicle (or close to it) or raised up like how it is for something like Dumbo?

In case it matters, I'm 5'5", so not tall.

Space mountain is not like sitting in a chair. Your legs end up fairly extended out with maybe a little bend to them. As I get older I have found it is not as easy to get in and out of the ride vehicle as it used to be.

You will need help getting up for sure. Go ahead and plan on it. SM is a little hard to get out of. IDK about the other one.

Space mountain is not like sitting in a chair. Your legs end up fairly extended out with maybe a little bend to them. As I get older I have found it is not as easy to get in and out of the ride vehicle as it used to be.

You will need help getting up for sure. Go ahead and plan on it. SM is a little hard to get out of. IDK about the other one.

Thank you to both of you!

I'm 5'1" and my legs were almost straight out in front of me on Astro Orbiter. It was so difficult for me to get out of that ride that I probably won't attempt it again, at least not solo. I might if there was someone else with me who could help me get the leverage to get back up. I don't recall any particular issue with Space Mountain, except that it's much easier for me to use the seat part of the ride vehicle as a step to get in and out.

I'm 5'1" and my legs were almost straight out in front of me on Astro Orbiter. It was so difficult for me to get out of that ride that I probably won't attempt it again, at least not solo. I might if there was someone else with me who could help me get the leverage to get back up. I don't recall any particular issue with Space Mountain, except that it's much easier for me to use the seat part of the ride vehicle as a step to get in and out.

Thank you! That helps a lot!

I have thigh problems and have also wondered this. When you say "need help," do you mean a friend or do the CMs help people out of the rides if need be?

And by the 'front' mentioned above, it is meant the front seat of each vehicle. There are 3 seats per vehicle, 6 all together per double vehicle. The front of each vehicle has less legroom.

Seats 1 and 4 have less, seats 2, 3, 5 and 6 have more.

I have thigh problems and have also wondered this. When you say "need help," do you mean a friend or do the CMs help people out of the rides if need be?

I don't think CMs are allowed to help. Too easy for someone to claim a CM hurt them and then sue.

Definitely out in front of you. I had (I hope it's had, I just got the disc replaced last week) a bad disc in my neck and couldn't push myself up with my arms to get out. I managed a "very graceful" sort of tumble sideways like a beached whale out of the ride, much to the amusement of my friend and daughter :D If my legs had been bent, I would have been able to just use my leg muscles to stand up. Still worth it. I was in seat 5 - DD and her short little legs were in 4 directly in front of me.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter