leg braces and typhoon lagoon

nanatink

DIS Veteran
I have CMT (a form of muscular dystrophy). My grandson is wanting Nana to go on the lazy river with the family. I wear leg braces. Will they let me go on the lazy river with leg braces? and will the water do damage to the metal and pads on them?

I also wear metal leg braces.

I suspect there might be a safety issue involved.

My leg braces would take me straight to the bottom!

Andrew

These are not made of metal but plastic with metal buckle and velcro fasteners beneath my knee and some type of metal screws at the hinged part at the ankle. They are very light weight and probably would float. I accidently got them wet when I was to near the ocean surf and the metal started to rust and I was wondering if the water at typhoon lagoon would cause them to rust. I had them repaired and since they were so old I had them make me an additional pair of braces. I will be wearing the older braces. If the old ones didn't wear so good I wouldn't worry, like an old pair of sneakers.

Has anyone ever used or seen anyone use their plastic leg braces with a little bit of metal on them at typhoon lagoon or any other water swimming facility. Will clorine make the metal rust? I know ocean water will.

I think it depends on the exact type of brace.

I wear a leg brace, and my technician has said that I can wear it at the water parks and the beach as long as I am very careful to rinse it in fresh water regularly so that salt and chlorine do not have a chance to dry in it's joints, and clean it *very* *very* throroughly *immediately* after. He did say that if I do it more than a few times it will make the pads deterioriate much faster.

I wasn't using the brace last time we did Typhoon Lagoon, but I have found some other waterparks won't let me on most of the rides with the brace. They say it's an insurance issue.

Thank you Sanacrow. I was only going to go on the lazy river and the wave pool this trip. I live not to far from you Ringgold,Ga.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter