• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Leftover food

cheyita

<font color=FF99FF>If you believe in the Tag Fairy
I seem to recall reading some time ago about what to do with leftover food. I thought some people suggested setting up a system for leaving leftovers for incoming DVCers. Did anyone start up a system for that ever?

I'm thinking about our upcoming trip and would like to know our leftover food can be put to good use.

I cannot imagine any system that could be set up with enough assurance of safety that anyone should want to participate. :eek:

You can leave the left over food for the housekeeping people. We asked our housekeeper is she wanted the food and she said YES!!!

If I have leftover unopened snacks, such as bags of chips, pretzels, candy, etc., I take these bags down to the frontdesk staff for their breakroom. They have always been extremely appreciative.

luv2vacation said:
You can leave the left over food for the housekeeping people. We asked our housekeeper is she wanted the food and she said YES!!!

That is what I do as well. And if I don't see the housekeeper I leave a note detailing what I've left for her. Many years ago a mousekeeper told me they needed such a note. Don't know if it is still true.

Of course, I toss the odds and ends and messy stuff. :flower:

It's a sad state of affairs when we can't do something like this.
It seems really wastefull to me that a member might check in for a week and buy (anything) a case of bottled water, use only a fraction of it, and IF the housekeeper dosen't want it, it get's throw away. I understand the safety issue(s), but I don't understand the wastefully issues. :(

Patty3 said:
If I have leftover unopened snacks, such as bags of chips, pretzels, candy, etc., I take these bags down to the frontdesk staff for their breakroom. They have always been extremely appreciative.

What a nice idea! I'm going to do the same for our next trip. The CM's at the front desk deserve lots of TLC after some of the check in's I've observed! ;)

I usually catch housekeeping in the hall to let them know what's available when we check out. I gave someone in the next room a box of ice cream bars once. I figured housekeeping would have a hard time getting those to a freezer soon enough. :rolleyes:

When we left a couple of weeks ago we had about 12 bottles of water left. We asked the bellman if he wanted some and he said yes. When we asked how many he would like he said as many as we had as he would share them with the valet parking guys whe get very hot running around.

So we gave him a grocery bag with all of them and he was very appreciative.

We always drive down so we just pack ours into our electric cooler and take it home with us.

Lora, are you the one that gave us the ice cream bars? LOL, someone gave us some once. If I have any unopened packaged food, I try to pass it on to someone who is just arriving. Anything that is opened and not finished (like cereal, condiments, bread, butter etc, I just leave in the unit for housekeeping.

My colleagues and I are at hotels for one to three weeks at a time, and do a large grocery shop at least twice. We always leave our unopened food and water for the hotel - trust me, they will make good use of it. Unopened items are often placed in the cafeteria.

We often wish that we had the time to find a local food bank and drop off the items on our way to the next job, but rarely are we that organized... sadly.

I have often given my water to the bell desk at WDW resorts. A few weeks ago I ordered groceries from netgrocer.com to have them waiting for me at a WDW resort, and then had to cancel my reservation, so off I went to the budget board to find someone to adopt my groceries. The taker was pleased to find groceries for the week (ok, she did have to adapt her family's taste buds a little to my german preferences!)

Definitely I support finding a new owner for any unopened items, whether it be another guest or hotel staff members!

dianeschlicht said:
Lora, are you the one that gave us the ice cream bars? LOL, someone gave us some once.

Well, let's see....it was probably last October. We would have been leaving sometime after the 15th?? We would have eaten them for breakfast, except we had already eaten leftover birthday icecream cake for breakfast! :rotfl:

I'm sure I'm not the only one who has given away ice cream bars, though.

Lora said:
Well, let's see....it was probably last October. We would have been leaving sometime after the 15th?? We would have eaten them for breakfast, except we had already eaten leftover birthday icecream cake for breakfast! :rotfl:

I'm sure I'm not the only one who has given away ice cream bars, though.
You're right, you aren't the only one to give away ice cream bars, because we have done it too! :rotfl: The ones we got were a couple of years ago in January. I was able to pass along pasta, frozen burritos, and an unopened tub of margarine last October.

i left it right in the fridge. There was a can of Spam, unopened in my room when I arrived in August. :guilty:

Anything non perishable and unopened I have left neatly on the counter.....hoping that housekeeping would take it.

This past March, my DH and I went to Williamsburg with friends and stayed in a timeshare through II. It was a very nice place and when you walked into the check-in lobby, they had a big wagon full of food. The sign said that any unopened non-perishable food that you had left at the end of your stay could be brought to the lobby and they donated it to the local food pantry. I don't mind leaving it for the housekeepers if they want it, but I just don't want any of it thrown away. It would be nice if Disney would think about doing something like this.

Binnie :idea:

Last fall DH and I went on a "no-kids" trip. When we were leaving, we gave our unopened soda, waters and snacks to a family with 4 little ones. We were sitting out front waiting for our ride to the airport, and they were just arriving to check in. The parents were VERY appreciative and said they had not been able to make a grocery store stop before arriving.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter