Leaving on Auto Train Friday!

Karen4120

Earning My Ears
Hi,

We are taking the Auto train on Friday for the first time. Has anyone taken it since the derailment? Would love to be assured that everything is running smoothly. We made coach reservations and I was wondering if the seats were first come -- first serve! I have 4 small children and I need all of us to be sitting together. I am hoping we all get assigned seats! We will be arriving at the station around 1 p.m. We are driving from Boston the night before and staying in Rockville, MD and are planning to do a mini tour of DC in the morning.

Any tips for a first time traveller (I have my pillows)!

You will love the Auto Train. I can assure you that everything is running smoothly. I work for Amtrak (not a ticket agent). We took the Auto Train in December and I am sure that we had assigned seats. The seat numbers may be on your tickets. You all will be seated together. I would bring extra blankets also, it may be chilly on the train.

I don't have any tips, just go and enjoy yourselves.

We recently took the Autotrain (our 1st time too) in May, 2002 - we were a little concerned about it since that derailment happened just a couple of weeks before we were set to go - It was fine!

We too drove from the Boston area (Methuen, MA) and we left around 4:30 am in the pouring rain, got delayed by a truck accident near the Tappen Zee Bridge and made it by 2:00 pm to Laurel, MD - You pull up to the gate, they check you in, they videotape your car (I believe in case you're car gets scratched, maybe?) and you take just what you need inside and are greeted by very friendly employees at the check in counter. They asked us if we would like to upgrade to a sleeping compartment, which we declined and reserved our dinner time (we picked the later one) and assigned us our seats - It was very easy -

There is a nice gift shop/snack area that sells all kinds of goodies and toys - so be prepared!

The coaches were very clean and comfortable - We felt comfortable enough leaving our overnight bags and just took our fanny packs when we wanted to walk around - We were near the lounge car which was showing the Harry Potter movie (2 showings). The lounge car was very chilly - we brought a couple of mexican blankets and 2 small pillows. They also had paper bowls of chips/pretzel snacks laying about that you could bring back to your seat. There is also a small bar area where you can buy beer, mixed drinks and small snacks (hotdogs, chips).

The train does wiggle around quite a bit, but it wasn't scary. We really didn't sleep that well, but I think it was more of being excited of getting to Disney.

The dinner was hot and you had a choice of 3 things - chicken, fish, veggie - rolls and a carafe of wine of the table - dessert also!

When you arrive in Sanford it very quick to deboard and then they call the number that they stick on your car (a magnetic sign) - they drive them off 4-5 at at time - we waited around 30-45 min. for our car -

We were at our timeshare by 10:30 - it was an easy drive on I-4 West (around 35 minutes) -

We did not take the train home instead we had another week and visited Memphis and Nashville and drove home from there -

Have fun - we are thinking of taking it again next year and reserving a sleeping car.

Oh I'm so glad you posted. Thanks for the info -- I feel much better now. Glad you had a great trip.

tammy,

Have you heard anything about amtrak possible shutting down?

Im my paper today there was an article stating that if the dont get a $200 million loan by next month they will have to shut down.

I already have my return tickets home for the auto train for Sept 2

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter