• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Leaving in 5 days and now DD has stitches. Now what??

Disney Princess 6

<font color=purple>I'm Eeyore's human counterpart
Yesterday my 2yo DD fell down and bit hard into her lip. We rushed her to the ER where she had to have 3 stitches to close the wound. She is a mess this morning with a huge swollen lip - and she's not real happy either. We're supposed to leave this coming Friday for WDW. I'm wondering if it's in her best interest to go at this point. Can she travel in this condition? Will this heal somewhat by that point? I feel so bad for her! And I don't want to traumatize her more with a long car ride when she isn't feeling well. But we sure don't want to cancel this trip either.

It's always something...

By Friday she should be much better! Sorry she got a boo-boo.,

Boy, do I remember those 2 year olds...they were always running into something, or tripping on the sidewalk.

She should be fine. Plus, a trip to WDW always makes me feel better!

:D

I can sympathize! Two years ago we took the Disney Cruise. 3 days before our trip, my 6 year old fell on concrete at school and scraped up her entire face. Then 2 days before, my 7 year old was standing behind a door at school when someone opened it really fast and bruised not only her face but her thigh too. I was mortified on this trip by the way they looked to everyone. Thank heavens, the school filled out accident reports. Anyway, once you get there, the magic will guarantee to bring smiles to her face. Don't cancel the trip. Kids are resilient!

I would still go. There may be a few things she needs to take it easy on while there but she is going to feel so bad if you family cant go to Disney because she got hurt. The swelling should go down before you guys leave on Friday.

Go, and feed her lots of ice cream! :)

Maybe you could ask the doctor if you can put Neosporin on it to make it heal faster.

Sorry to hear about your 'tumbling two-year-old'! She should be feeling much better in a few days. Only one thing to think about--when does she need her stitches out? Might be a complication if she needs them out while you are away. Maybe she has the dissolving kind....

Let her eat lots of popsicles!

A few years ago my DS had a terrible lip injury. His was a dog bite and they would not use stitches on his. His lip as I am sure your child's did bleed so much and looked so swollen because there is so much blood supply to the lip. The good thing is that because that blood supply is so good, that the area heals so fast. You will be amazed at how much better it will be in just a few days. I do caution that some foods just as salty or sour stuff hurt his lip so caution with the pop corn. This is however a perfect excuss to let her eat all the mickey bars she wants. Don't even think about not going. She will be fine and will get lots of attention and maybe a little empathy from the CM's.

jordan's mom

From my experience, if it was me I would go. My DS tore his lip when he was younger when he fell against a lawn chair. The clinic sent us to ER to have it stitched, but they refused once we got there! His swelling was much better two days later, and I was surprised how quickly it healed.
The biggest problem was avoiding foods with salt or acid (tomato sauce, orange juice) as they hurt his lip.
You might also consider how the child is reacting to the injury after a few days. After the swelling went down, my son was fine with it.

A few years ago, my grandson hit his head on the fireplace and had 10 stitches; three days before we were to leave for Nassau. They gave my daughter a suture-removal kit and said "go for it". My son is a paramedic, so he removed the stitches, but he said they were fairly easy to remove.

When my DD was 4 she took a bad fall, cut up her lips, knocked out two teeth and loosen two more.... what a mess. I was surprised how quickly she began to heal. One tip that helped us was to use non-acid juices with a straw (helps by pass the sore lips). Good luck! I'll bet all the fun and exitment at WDW will distract her (and you!) from here discomfort.:D

Two years ago my DD had to have stitches in her face while we were on vacation at DW. Needless to say I was a complete mess. I wanted to come home but my DH convinced me to stay. I have to admit we managed to have a good time regardless and I'm glad that we didn't leave. Disney does manage to make you forget your troubles it is a happy place to be. All the CMs were so nice to her and made her feel really special. ( she had a big bandaid right between her eyes on the bridge of her nose) Now when I look at he pictures I smile. We went to the hospital in Celebration if you need to have the stiches removed while you are there . The doctor was really nice and he informed us he has alot of experience with stitches. Go and have a great trip!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter