Laundry at the Fort

morrik5

DIS Veteran
I just learned this new today thanks to a couple of YouTube posters. You now need a credit or debit card to do laundry in the comfort stations so I asked what do Canadians do if they don't want or can't do this. They went to Guest Services who advised they sell "laundry cards" for $7.00 US. This covers the cost of one load ($1 detergent, $3 washer, $3 dryer).

Wait, I'm confused.

When they converted the Laundry Rooms to card-operated last year, they left a washer and pair of dryers in each Comfort Station Laundry Room that still operated on coins. I did a thread on the Fort conversion:

https://www.disboards.com/threads/laundry-rooms-at-the-fort-comfort-stations.3500182/

Are the YouTubers saying now even THOSE coin-operated machines are gone? I preferred to use the coin ones on the last trip.

Bama Ed

Wait, I'm confused.

When they converted the Laundry Rooms to card-operated last year, they left a washer and pair of dryers in each Comfort Station Laundry Room that still operated on coins. I did a thread on the Fort conversion:

https://www.disboards.com/threads/laundry-rooms-at-the-fort-comfort-stations.3500182/

Are the YouTubers saying now even THOSE coin-operated machines are gone? I preferred to use the coin ones on the last trip.

Bama Ed
That's what I'm seeing from their videos. Check out
You pay at the machine selecting the machine you're going to use and then you have so much time to start the machine. We usually only need laundry for clothes that won't dry from the humidity but may have to think this one through again and pack more clothes.

Sorry, Bama Ed, I did search for a laundry room thread but didn't see your original post.

Last edited:
Well you could be right, morrik5.

In my thread from 2016, you can see in the pix that washer #5 has is the only one that has a coin stack on top of it. Also dryers #6 and #7 have a coin slot on them where the others don't. But in your video link, I don't see a washer with the coin stack. I took pix of the Comfort Station Laundry Room that serves loop 100/200 and I stupidly assumed that they would all be the same. But they might have taken even THOSE out.

It's not a big deal but I like the old fashioned way best. I bet they took the coins out, took out the change machine inside, etc. I think I read that the ice machine on the side of the CS is also now plastic cards only too.

Guess that means I'm getting old....

Thanks for the update, morrik5.

Bama Ed

I heard about these laundry cards about three trips back, end of 2015 I believe, so I went to the Outpost to purchase the cards because I didn't want to use my CC, with laundry cards in hand we headed up to the CS. I purchased 3 cards, none of them worked. I ended up using my CC and taking the laundry cards back for a refund. Maybe they were not Activated, not sure, but we have been using a CC that we have just for our Fort trip since then.

By pass doing laundry all together There are a number of Outlet Shopping Centers not far away. Just an idea

Sometimes I need just the dryers as the humidity doesn't allow anything to line dry in past experiences.

The $7 laundry card would bug me as I don't want to pay $1 for their detergent, I always bring my own. My dd has very sensitive skin and can't have her clothes washed with detergent that has any scents added to it or she will break out in a rash so we have a specific kind we use.

Really glad my DH surprised me this spring with the cheap washer and dryer he bought me for our MH. They worked great in Destin, kept up on the laundry by doing two small loads each night. I'll be doing the same in Disney!

Per
The $7 laundry card would bug me as I don't want to pay $1 for their detergent, I always bring my own. My dd has very sensitive skin and can't have her clothes washed with detergent that has any scents added to it or she will break out in a rash so we have a specific kind we use.

Really glad my DH surprised me this spring with the cheap washer and dryer he bought me for our MH. They worked great in Destin, kept up on the laundry by doing two small loads each night. I'll be doing the same in Disney!
Perhaps straying from the topic, but by doing your laundry in your RV, do you experience they (the appliances) produce more humidity on top of that brought in from outside making your a/c unit work even harder? Just curious. (Washer/dryer on my wish list for if we ever upgrade from a gas to diesel Class A)

Yes I do. Fortunately my RV has 2 air conditioners on separate thermostats, one of which is in my bedroom that has the washer and dryer in it so I just turn up that air conditioner. Now my RV did not come with washer dryer hookups, we bought tiny ones that Walmart sells for apartments and they fit in our closets and then we ran the water hookup for our washer ourselves. Therefore the dryer does not have an outside vent. I would assume that campers that come with that hookup have an outside vent for the dryer and would not experience increased heat and humidity, but someone with that setup would have to answer cause I don't really know.

Morrik ours is a combo unit Washer & Dryer in one and is vented to outside we used in in Jan in The Fort so didn't notice an increase Likewise a year ago while at a CG in Virginia (Eastern Shore ) We had a site that was in open field no shade brutal heat and humidity and needed to use dryers after kids needed baths and their towels were soaked again no added humidity You need to vent the dryer

By pass doing laundry all together There are a number of Outlet Shopping Centers not far away. Just an idea

1)I have no idea why this post is going on so long.
2) And-on-and-on-and-on.
3) Do people really do laundry when camping?
4) I thought wearing dirty clothes while camping was a tradition . . . especially at The Fort.
. . . Lewis and Clark didn't do a lot of laundry, and they found The Northwest Passage.
. . . Neil Armstrong didn't do laundry, and and he walked the Moon

:cool1:

NOTE: In reference to laundry, the only thing I recognize is to keep your socks dry. When "In-Country" or "In-Disney", one needs to avoid the consequences of wet socks. (Sorry that country" is a term only a few of your will know.)

1)I have no idea why this post is going on so long.
2) And-on-and-on-and-on.
3) Do people really do laundry when camping?
4) I thought wearing dirty clothes while camping was a tradition . . . especially at The Fort.
. . . Lewis and Clark didn't do a lot of laundry, and they found The Northwest Passage.
. . . Neil Armstrong didn't do laundry, and and he walked the Moon

:cool1:

NOTE: In reference to laundry, the only thing I recognize is to keep your socks dry. When "In-Country" or "In-Disney", one needs to avoid the consequences of wet socks. (Sorry that country" is a term only a few of your will know.)

Guess I really, sort of, agree with you!! :) We seldom stay longer than 2 weeks anywhere while camping and it's very easy for us to have that many changes of clothing - much cheaper and less bother (to us) than the expense and wasted closet space in our motorhome.

Some outer clothing can be worn more than once with a good airing. Guess it's different strokes for different folks. We've met/know people that have strong feelings for/against. :goodvibes

Who knew some of the things that can become a 'hot' button topic!! :P

Yes Scupper some of us do KNOW that country Only events of May 1 1975 prevented me from VISITING for 13 months that little vacation spot.
FYI Boy scouts are also very aware of need for clean dry socks. While I like to adhere to the idea that there really is no need for concern in terms of getting dirty at The Fort, it is good clean DISNEY DIRT after all, Venturing beyond The Fort confines into some of the "More CIVILIZED and POLITE" regions are liable to elicit strange looks and reactions. Not everyone is as accepting as fellow campers

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!