Launch view question at Kennedy Space Center

MrsTski

Mouseketeer
Hi! We are going to Kennedy Space Center to watch the March 1st rocket launch. Only two viewing options were available... the LC-39 (already sold out) and then general viewing from the Atlantis North Lawn. I'm so disappointed that I missed out on the LC-39 tickets. Has anyone had experience watching from the North Lawn? Just looking for confirmation that it will still be a good experience for my family (3 boys ages 9, 7 and 4). Thanks!

Hope your view was good! I just watched from near the port and my view was good, so I can only imagine how it would have been from the space center.

It is good to see that Mrs Tski has replied .... and that it worked for her.

It boosts the rest of us to give correct information & that it is appreciated

How far ahead of time were tickets on sale? We would like to visit the space center the day of one of the upcoming April launches and see the launch too but the Kennedy Space Center site says tickets are unavailable - not sure if we missed our window, or if they don't go on sale until closer to the event.

If the tickets are sold out we may just watch from afar from WDW - wouldn't be the same but we wouldn't lose a day at the parks.

As I understand it from being a former Kennedy Space Center (KSC) annual passholder, launches that have connections to anything top secret don't have VIP viewing. Unfortunately, it's not easy to figure out which launches would be restricted.

Also, any launch windows that are well outside of KSC's normal visitor hours generally won't have any viewing opportunities (from the Visitor Center or VIP areas). The exception would be if the launch was historic in some manner. But a run-of-the-mill rocket launch that is scheduled for 1am probably wouldn't come with any on-site viewing opportunities.

If I were guessing based on the emails I used to get as a passholder, I'd say tickets for VIP viewing went on sale 6-8 weeks prior. I wouldn't expect either launch in April to have VIP viewing. The April 2nd launch is only 16 days away. And I believe the April 16th launch is a rescheduling from the original date of March 20th. Since that original date didn't have VIP viewing, I can't see them adding it for the rescheduled launch.

thanks so much @writerguyfl! If we are at the space center, would we be able to watch it w/o a VIP viewing ticket somewhere on site? We are most interested in April 16 which has a tentative schedule of 6:30pm, and the center closes at 6 - which makes it sound unlikely based on your experience. Maybe we are better off just staying at WDW (?)

You can certainly see a launch from the "regular" parts of KSC. The difference between the VIP areas and regular areas is that you have a view of the rocket on the launch pad from the VIP. Granted, it's miles away and looks very, very, very small. You won't be able to see the rocket launch from the main Visitor Center until it clears the tree line. Typically, they set up a huge screen at the Visitor Center with audible launch commentary. So, you get the close-up on the screen and the actual rocket a few seconds after liftoff.

It's tough to say if a 6:30pm launch will be supported. Technically, 6:30pm is just the start of the launch window. If that window is short, they might stay open. If it stretches for multiple hours, they might not.

You may want to try contacting Kennedy Space Center. Over the years, I've found them pretty responsive to questions: https://www.kennedyspacecenter.com/info/contact-us

Sadly, I can't advise as to the difference between viewing a launch from KSC or Orlando. I've had tickets for multiple Space Shuttle and rocket launches. Each time, I missed seeing the launch. When I was at KSC, each attempt was scrubbed. The one time it wasn't, I got into a minor car accident that made my car undriveable so I missed out.

That is something to consider: There is a high possibility that you'll go and the launch will get delayed. It's rocket science, which is pretty complex!

I have seen both Space Shuttle and rocket launches from Orlando. To maximize the chances of seeing something, you need to be listening/watching launch commentary on your cell phone. If you're not, it's a frustrating experience because the launch might not happen at the beginning of the launch window. Also, it's very tough for tourists to know exactly which way to look.

Hope some of that helps.

I have seen a launch from Epcot and it was an ok view. Basically you see the flaming engines and contrail. From the Port, I could see the rocket itself with my DSLR and a decent zoom lens (probably binoculars would work well also, but I wanted photos). I agree that it’s tough to get your timing right. There were supposed to be two launches while I was over there, but one got pushed back.

I enjoy the space center and highly recommend it. If you do get to see a launch, it will be icing on the cake.

thanks so much @writerguyfl! If we are at the space center, would we be able to watch it w/o a VIP viewing ticket somewhere on site? We are most interested in April 16 which has a tentative schedule of 6:30pm, and the center closes at 6 - which makes it sound unlikely based on your experience. Maybe we are better off just staying at WDW (?)
There are lots of free viewing sites along US1 in Titusville, 528 in Merritt Island, the beaches at Cape Canaveral etc... Just google “ best places to watch a rocket launch Brevard County”

The tickets for our launch day went on sale about 9 days ahead of time. The KSC customer service person I spoke with said that 2 weeks prior would be the earliest they would go on sale on their website. The VIP tickets sold out in less than two hours and were an extra $49 over the admission price. Viewing from KSC was included in out regular admission and they open the gate to that viewing area (the lawn right by the entrance), 1.5 hrs before the launch time. We got in line 1 hour before the gates opened and easily got the top row on the bleachers. It took about 1-2 seconds for the rocket to clear the tree line and we had a great view! It was brighter than I expected but not as loud. If you were not interested in checking out KSC that day (which I would recommend!), then I would just watch from the beach in Cape Canaveral. Have fun!

Silly question but do we need to worry about the Kennedy Space Center hitting capacity on a launch day or are the launches so frequent that FL residents just kind of shrug it off? Months ago we picked a particular day to set aside for KSC and by chance it later became a launch day which is pretty awesome, but also has me mildly concerned.

Silly question but do we need to worry about the Kennedy Space Center hitting capacity on a launch day or are the launches so frequent that FL residents just kind of shrug it off? Months ago we picked a particular day to set aside for KSC and by chance it later became a launch day which is pretty awesome, but also has me mildly concerned.

I've never heard of Kennedy Space Center (KSC) reaching capacity because of a rocket launch. Undoubtedly, any VIP launch viewing areas will sell out. As such, you will only be able to view the launch from the Main Visitor Center. As mentioned above, that means you won't see the rocket on the launch pad. You'll have to wait until it actually launches to see the rocket.

Keep in mind KSC often designates the Apollo/Saturn V Center as a VIP launch viewing area for some launches. (It depends on which launch pad being used.) The Apollo/Saturn V Center is the main stop on the KSC bus tour. That means you may not be able to see exhibits there.

Does anyone know how early we should arrive at Playalinda Beach to see a 6:30pm launch and secure decent parking?

Does anyone know how early we should arrive at Playalinda Beach to see a 6:30pm launch and secure decent parking?

What day of the week is it? If it's Saturday or Sunday, I would plan on getting there as early as possible and plan to spend all day. Weekday, you may be good by getting there @ lunchtime. If it's a SpaceX launch with the returnable boosters (sonic booms), there will be a lot more interest & more crowds.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter