Late morning Epcot arrival, which FP?

PSULion

DIS Veteran
We will be arriving at Epcot later in the morning (hopefully by about 10). Test track and Soarin’ are both important to our group. Which would you FastPass and which would you just suck up and ride standby? (Test track single rider is probably not an option bc my boys love designing the car.)

From another post I read awhile back, you can actually design your car in the Test Track exit gift shop, save it to your magicband, and then hop in the single rider line. This gives you no time restriction to design your car AND you still get to skip the standby wait.

We are attempting this method on our December trip this year.

We did a late morning arrival at Epcot a couple weeks ago. We arrived around 10:30/11:00. I couldn’t get a fp for test track but got one for soarin. We did stand by for frozen and single rider line for test track.
Interestingly on test track there was a group we were talking to on the way to test track that had fast passes. They went in the fp lane, there were 3 in their group. We went in single rider line, we were party of 4.
Our wait was 40 minutes. We met the group of 3 again in the que. they were in the car just before our group. My son and i went in the same car and then my husband and daughter were in the group just after us.
We were shocked that it took 40 minutes for the fp people to get through

From what I've researched here, TT is the better one to FP. It goes down more often, including during rain. If you had a FP, it will convert to an anytime FP. If you didn't, you're just out of luck. Also, Soarin' tends to have more availability for same day FPs since its renovation 3 years ago.

There are a few design stations in the TT single rider line. Most people do go right past them, but you can stop and design a car.

There are a few design stations in the TT single rider line. Most people do go right past them, but you can stop and design a car.

Yes, there are six or so, but they only allow about 2 or 3 options...no customization at all. If you want to do a complete design/customization, you have to do what follows below...

From another post I read awhile back, you can actually design your car in the Test Track exit gift shop, save it to your magicband, and then hop in the single rider line. This gives you no time restriction to design your car AND you still get to skip the standby wait.

We are attempting this method on our December trip this year.

That is correct. There are 3 what look like design stations at the back of the gift shop. They're not. You have to go back into the attraction farther, beyond the showroom. On your left (as you head back towards where the ride lets out), there are 3 design stations. At those you can do the full customization. Of course, when you go into the single rider line afterwards, don't use the design stations there, but do tap in when you're about to board your vehicle.

I'll add that I've done the design exiting the ride and used them a day or two later.

Here's a suggestion for the Disney software team: you've got us using the Play app now, let us do the design there...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!