Late for ADR

It's the manager's discretion (I believe). Unofficially 10 minutes, officially 0 minutes.

This

Thanks. I think I might switch to the later ADR time—just in case. I have 6 pm, but I think I’ll move to 6:30 and just shoot for being there in the middle of the two.

I htink this is a good idea. The issue with arriving late is not that are not gauranteed seating, although this is the case, but that you are now at the back of a line and who knows when they will work you in. I also feel that if you are already worried about a late arrival, and you are not even there, you have a schedule that is too tight. If you are trying to manage getting to a meal and are worried about timing, know that if there can be a delay that can happen, it will happen. And that is stressful.

No official grace period that I know of but I’ve heard within 15 minutes of ADR which sounds reasonable. A lot of things can happen beyond your control when you are in the parks (ride malfunctions/transportation issues) and it sort of “is what it is.” Now, I wouldn’t show up 30-45 minutes late or make a habit of being late.

But, it’s not as if the ADR means a table is sitting there unoccupied until you get there. The restaurants take as many reservations as they can at any given time given their capacity. And then the restaurant traffic ebbs and flows throughout the day. Even if you come in a bit past your ADR, they just put you in the queue. Now if they are very busy and you show up 30 minutes late and everyone that has that reservation time showed up early or on time and more people like you also came late, they may not be able to accommodate you because they are at max capacity. They will probably tell you they can put you on the general wait list if that’s the case.

If I know we’re up against transport or other issues before the trip or even 24 hours in advance, I just try and change the ADR ahead of time to avoid the stress. Hope this helps.

This.

Obviously things can happen, but I would never plan to be late to an ADR.

Keep in mind that if you arrive late, you run the risk of being seated later than you originally planned for. So if your ADR is for 6 and you planned on being done by 7:30, and now you arrive at 6:15 and can't be seated until 6:30 or later then you either need to rush through your meal (which may not be possible or desirable) or potentially drop something from your after dinner plans.

Another issue is that you're not guaranteed seating right at your ADR time. As others have pointed out, with a 6 pm ADR you won't necessarily be seated at 6 PM. Your best shot of being seated by 6 PM is to arrive 15 minutes early. If instead you arrive 15 minutes late, that delay could be longer so the restaurant can remain fair to those who arrived ahead of you.

I've done it too many times to count, never been charged, never turned away, usually they want to take my meal $$, not get $10. One time I was so late they could no longer see the ressie & had to dig it out of the archives...I still ate. I do not fear being late. This is just what has happened to me, YMMV.

Happy Planning.
Agree. Us also. Being late is a non issue. We have been 45 min late. Still got table. No big deal. I have never been an hour late. But many times 45 min or so. Didn’t make a difference. And that’s as recent as 2018

I've done it too many times to count, never been charged, never turned away, usually they want to take my meal $$, not get $10. One time I was so late they could no longer see the ressie & had to dig it out of the archives...I still ate. I do not fear being late. This is just what has happened to me, YMMV.

Agree. Us also. Being late is a non issue. We have been 45 min late. Still got table. No big deal. I have never been an hour late. But many times 45 min or so. Didn’t make a difference. And that’s as recent as 2018

Even though you got to eat, this is pretty inconsiderate to staff who need to arrange and rearrange tables for specific party sizes and to diners who actually show up on time for their ADRs. Once or twice is understandable but "too many times to count" shows a complete disregard for other people's time.

Even though you got to eat, this is pretty inconsiderate to staff who need to arrange and rearrange tables for specific party sizes and to diners who actually show up on time for their ADRs. Once or twice is understandable but "too many times to count" shows a complete disregard for other people's time.

Oh, please! When you make many ADR's & often 6 months in advance it is inevitable you're going to miss a few. Your perspective that I have a 'complete disregard' for other people's time is short sighted & doesn't know how late I was for my CM breakfast when the boat I was on between WL & CR broke down in the middle of the lake and it doesn't know that I was late for my Kona Cafe breakfast when the boat driver couldn't get the boat to dock properly due to high wind & had to make multiple attempts at it...and I can go on. I only share my experiences being late so that others are not deterred from continuing on to their destination & giving it a try. As I said in my PP, YMMV.

Oh, please! When you make many ADR's & often 6 months in advance it is inevitable you're going to miss a few. Your perspective that I have a 'complete disregard' for other people's time is short sighted & doesn't know how late I was for my CM breakfast when the boat I was on between WL & CR broke down in the middle of the lake and it doesn't know that I was late for my Kona Cafe breakfast when the boat driver couldn't get the boat to dock properly due to high wind & had to make multiple attempts at it...and I can go on. I only share my experiences being late so that others are not deterred from continuing on to their destination & giving it a try. As I said in my PP, YMMV.

Um, nope. I make my plans 180 days in advance, tweak them as I get closer to my trip, cancel those I choose to in advance, and have not been late or "missed a few". It's called planning and sticking with the plan.

The examples you give are things that Disney can document as issues. What the other poster was referring to was people who think they can make an ADR and just show up whenever.

Good heavens. This is unbelievably rude no matter where you are dining or what you are doing, Disney or elsewhere. In my opinion, unless there was a complete transportation breakdown, forty five minutes late is well outside the realm of a grace period.

Oh that's baloney. they couldnt care less. Nothing inconsiderate about it....lol
Do what works for you...we do what works for us. That is what makes life life...

Last edited:
Good heavens. This is unbelievably rude no matter where you are dining or what you are doing, Disney or elsewhere. In my opinion, unless there was a complete transportation breakdown, forty five minutes late is well outside the realm of a grace period.
Well apparently its not..As its never an issue. Its a complete non issue. Just because you don't agree with it....doent make it rude. Its 110% nothing. Happens daily...always will
Be on time of one can...if not not a big deal. Completely not showing up will get a 10.00 fee. If you show up..your fine. Especially in an hour window. folks need to know..you CAN be as late as 45 min and still get a seat. Its not like we are being late for heart surgery...lol We have NEVER been turned away or waited more than 10 min. when we were less than an hour late.

Well apparently its not..As its never an issue. Its a complete non issue. Just because you don't agree with it....doent make it rude. Its 110% nothing. Happens daily...always will
Be on time of one can...if not not a big deal. Completely not showing up will get a 10.00 fee. If you show up..your fine. Especially in an hour window. folks need to know..you CAN be as late as 45 min and still get a seat. Its not like we are being late for heart surgery...lol We have NEVER been turned away or waited more than 10 min. when we were less than an hour late.

I think it’s rude to be that late to anything, especially something YOU have scheduled for your own convenience. Thumbs up if it works for you. I still think it’s ridiculous. I also wouldn’t tell other people you can do that and get a seat immediately. I consider that bad advice.

I think it’s rude to be that late to anything, especially something YOU have scheduled for your own convenience. Thumbs up if it works for you. I still think it’s ridiculous. I also wouldn’t tell other people you can do that and get a seat immediately. I consider that bad advice.
Ok good,you gave your advice. I did mine. We all should do what is best for our families while on vacation. Or life for that matter. I don’t poo poo on what others do. We all take care of our families. Thanks for your opinion though.

It’s very highly unlikely anyone would follow advice saying you can show up almost an hour after your reservation time with no consequences, so it doesn’t really matter how rude it is. Unless there are extenuating circumstances, I don’t think this actually happens.

It’s very highly unlikely anyone would follow advice saying you can show up almost an hour after your reservation time with no consequences, so it doesn’t really matter how rude it is. Unless there are extenuating circumstances, I don’t think this actually happens.
It can happen, but really if you are an hour late and there was no good reason for it (i.e. ride breaking down would be a good reason), then that is really on you at that point and the manager may or may not do anything to help.

In January of this year, we completely missed an ADR at Via Napoli for lunch, and were never charged the $10. We had an FP for Soarin' but then Soarin' was down during our FP time. They gave us an anytime FP. Soarin' was up about an hour and 15 minutes before our ADR, and we did not want to risk it being down again later, so we got into the FP line. Along with everyone who had missed their FPs or had FPs for that time slot. All told, we got out of Soarin' like 5-10 minutes after our scheduled ADR. We decided it was not worth it to try and huff it all the way to Via Napoli. I had tried to change the ADR time, but it said that I couldn't do so the day of.

Another time, we had an ADR at the Biergarten and while DW and I were early, our traveling companions were not. They ended up being over an hour late. DW and I were not happy. I think the CM could sense this, and they kept saying "no problem, we will put you in line when they get here". And they did seat us with no problem when the others arrived.

Finally, once we had an ADR at Narcoossee's (sp?). We were coming from the Boarwalk, so we took the bus to the Magic Kingdom. The monorail, which was supposed to be running, was down. So everyone had to take the boat. Unfortunately, we had not anticipated that we would be traveling at the same time that MK closed that evening before MVMCP that evening. So everyone was leaving MK. It took us an hour and a half to get on the boat to the Grand Floridian. Miraculously, we were right on time for our ADR because we had wanted to get there early to explore the resort.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter