Late charge from Avis RPR

DonaldnDaisy5

DIS Veteran
Hi, I emailed Avis after getting our receipt but wondering if anyone else can help me out.

We rented through Costco for Avis from sanford airport. Drop off at RPR by 6 PM.

Arrived at RPR at 5:50 - not intentional but hit traffic and torrential rain. Valet took car, I signed it in indicating the 5:50 arrival. Hubby and kids unloaded and I went into check in. Valet assured me we were good before I went in.

Recieved receipt with 15 late charge.Two problems, I wasn't late and in the fine print of Costco agreement we have a 29 minute grace period. We were in our room with our bags long before 6:29.

Do I contact RPR resort's Avis counter? Avis directly? Or Costco? I realize big scheme of vacation this is not a big deal but 15 dollars is 15 dollars and I was not late.

Did you get a receipt from rpr valet which shows your drop off time ?

If they were backed up in doing the times involved to Avis, that might have been the trigger for the late charge

That situation can be corrected by rpr

No receipt. He handed me a clipboard and I signed in the time and my name. It was our first time staying at RPR and using avis so I wasn't sure of the process....I will call RPR tomorrow...

Yea Avis but she needs to know the time that rpr valet listed as the check in time when they returned the rental

If They screwed up, they can forward documentation to Avis

I contacted both, our friends who traveled and rented have the same charge. I will call tomorrow. Emailed today and no response.:magnify::headache:

I just googled the avis/Loews website and the hotel is an authorized place for car rental

Do you have the push notification app of Avis?

Believe that is the one to contact Avis for the surcharge you received

I still think rpr can help you for having that late charge reversed

Keep us posted on the outcome as it will help all readers to be aware of this issue of charges

I know this is frustrating for you but it will be solved
Don’t kiss off that $15 charge..

I know you will be successful in resolving this conflict

Honestly I am hoping for better luck through the resort. The link for questions about the bill on the avis email keeps routing me to sign in. I do, it tells me my information is incorrect. I follow the prompts to reset password and it starts the same vicious cycle all over again...will keep you guys posted after I talk to for tomorrow.

Welp RPR responded with a there is nothing we can do to help you with Avis charges. I inquired if they could tell me what the valet sheet indicated but so far nothing else. I will call Avis in the morning.

Update: RPR's first response was to tell me to contact Avis - they had nothing to do with the rental cars and charges from the rental company. I responded to their email stating I would contact Avis but that I was disappointed because I would have returned the car myself had the valet not assured me it was fine (valet may be a contracted company working with resort - but in the pouring rain and rush of the valet/luggage services it is all just a blur of activity).

The RPR customer service representative forwarded my email to the valet. The valet responded saying they would take care of the refund and it could take 10 to 14 days.

We checked in with friends who arrived about 10 minutes before us - we got separated in the traffic - and they are currently having the same late fee issues.

Again it's not a huge amount of money but it's annoying to be charged a late fee when you're not late and the company offers a grace period. I think its interesting that 2 people were charged the late fee and I wonder if it happens often because it's not a huge amount of money and it's been a small hassle trying to figure out who to contact to get it straightened out.

So sorry that you encountered this @DonaldnDaisy5 ! I'm hoping this gets straightened out soon and your refund is processed rapidly! I'm very interested in rental experiences with Avis as we're planning to use Avis for some day rentals when we stay at the Hard Rock this fall.

Thank you for posting your experience!

I've a car booked with Avis on our next trip and plan on returning it via the valet as it will be out of hours so I'm keen on hearing how this plays out too.

We've done this before a couple of times when it was Hertz and never had any problems but do you think I should get some sort of receipt from the valet or is that a bit over the top?

I would just make sure you keep track and follow up. Both rentals returned through valet near 6 were charged a late fee.

The valet assured me they would process the refund and the avis counter in the hotel told my friend she would have her manager take care of it.

I will update once refund is processed. The valet just had us sign a clipboard indicating the time of the return. As long as the sheet indicates the right time I don't think you'll need a receipt.

I agree with the advice that @DonaldnDaisy5 said above.

Since you are checking the vehicle back in during after hours, get a written signed statement from the person accepting the car.
Any reciept with a date/time stamp would be good.

@DonaldnDaisy5
That's encouring news to read!

I wish you success in getting it taken care of in your favor.

Hi, I emailed Avis after getting our receipt but wondering if anyone else can help me out.

We rented through Costco for Avis from sanford airport. Drop off at RPR by 6 PM.

Arrived at RPR at 5:50 - not intentional but hit traffic and torrential rain. Valet took car, I signed it in indicating the 5:50 arrival. Hubby and kids unloaded and I went into check in. Valet assured me we were good before I went in.

Recieved receipt with 15 late charge.Two problems, I wasn't late and in the fine print of Costco agreement we have a 29 minute grace period. We were in our room with our bags long before 6:29.

Do I contact RPR resort's Avis counter? Avis directly? Or Costco? I realize big scheme of vacation this is not a big deal but 15 dollars is 15 dollars and I was not late.

Avis corporate would’ve been my first avenue. Not sure if costco is on record as 3rd party vendor/TA in this case, but it wouldn’t hurt to make contact there if things don’t get ironed out with the hotel valet/Avis.

Curious about something though...

Most rentals run for 24 hour period. You mention commencing rental @ Stanford, did you have the vehicle for a full day or multiple 24-hour days? Often, you can rent for daily period, then up to 2 hours additional rental due, before it defaults to a full 3rd day. Could be where you are running into an issue with the late fee.

Also, if the garage was closed/after hours and the valet didn’t log it in properly you may have been charged until the site commenced operations the next am.

When returning to valet type situation vs getting a receipt from rental personnel, suggest to take pic of odometer & fuel level with time/date state JIK of any discrepancies .

Not sure about rental time frame. When making the arrangements we picked up from Sanford at 3:30 and were set to return at RPR at 6 PM. The price was for that time frame. It would have been less if we returned by 3 PM. We paid the extra because we didn't want to be rushed...then the rain happened and we were rushed anyway.

I emailed Avis before emailing the hotel. As I said when we got there the Avis desk was still open and normally I would've double checked with them but the valet assured me it was taken care of, I knew the time was noted on the paper, so I trusted it would be handled. Lesson learned. Hopefully, as the valet indicated today the refund will be processed.

Avis corporate would’ve been my first avenue.

That and the Avis desk at the hotel. Surely the desk staff know there was an issue that day. And if they don’t they need to.

Alamo once tried to tell me I’d done several hundreds of dollars worth of damages to a car. I stayed calm and replied to each letter. Upon review they could not prove it was me and they dropped it. As was correct. As I didn’t cause damage.

You returned it on time. They get to prove you didn’t. Since they allow the valet drivers to accept cars, they are adding another person to the equation.

The friend who also was charged a late fee called the avis desk at the hotel. She was told they would notify their manager and either the refund would be processed or they would contact her back about the issue.

I think we would have been more annoyed if we were coming home and going right back to work along with all the other laundry and super fun unpacking...it was/is annoying but we have a few more weeks of summer so we had time to email/call about the charge. Both husbands who went back to work Monday were less bothered and more well we were close to the drop time. Close is not over. That $15 was one more pool side drink!!!!:rolleyes::love::rolleyes1

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts