LasVegas to Disneyland (1st time)

stanleyko

Earning My Ears
Hi there,
This is our first time to DL (May 22-25). We will arrive at LasVegas first (cheap flight from Toronto, Canada) and get a rental car for the rest of our trip. A few threads talked about driving time but did not mentioned the route. The trip software shows me 2 different routes:
a) Hwy 15 -> #60 -> #57
b) Hwy 15 -> #91 -> #57

Which one is better? I am travelling with 2 kids (3 years old and 2 years old).

If I stay outside DL, can we take a ride on The monorail in DL?

Please advise,

Either of those routes would work. Don't take the 91 before 9am Mon-Fri, though. It's pretty much a parking lot. Later in day, it's not so bad going in that direction on a weekday. If you're traveling on a Saturday or Sunday, you'd want to avoid it in the late morning through early afternoon.

Right now the monorail is in shuttle mode. You have to exit in DTD and reboard if you want to go back into the park. There are certain times of the day they've been known to limit it to DLR hotel guests only, but most of the time, anyone can ride it.

If you are driving to DLR from Las Vegas you will be on my route for part of the way. I live about a mile off of the 15. I highly recommend avoiding the 91 at all costs! The traffic does not move at all especially during morning commute! The 60 is better than the 91 but I have a suggestion for you. I'm in So Ca. A couple of years ago we had the 210 freeway extension put in. I definitely recommend using the 210 rather than the 60, 10 or 91. From Las Vegas here would be your route:

15 South to 210 West to 57 South.

I whole heartedly agree with the 15 to the 210 to the 57! There is hardly ever any traffic on the 210 no matter the time of day going in that direction. It could save you a good hour on the freeway.

I will caution you on both the 60 and the 210 routes that the 57/60 interchange is very confusing. The two freeways merge together and then unmerge a few miles later. DO NOT GET IN THE CARPOOL LANE. Stay in the right couple of lanes as the 57 South will unmerge on the right while the 60 unmerges on the left. If you know its coming and watch the signs its not too bad, but if you are unprepared and cruising along in the carpool lane it can get ugly fast! :teeth: That is going to be the worst of the traffic though, that little interchange.

You can absolutely ride the monorail if you stay offsite. It is between the Mickey Parking Garage and the park though, so if you are at an offsite hotel that is within walking distance on the other side of the park you would really be walking PAST the front gate to get to it. It would be fun to ride it out of the park to go to Rainforest Cafe (or another restaurant) for a meal or to do some shopping at the Lego store, etc.

Rent a car with a GPS, program the route suggested and let it do the work.

Jack pirate: pirate:

The 60 is undergoing a lot of construction.

Personally I'd go

15 to the 91 to the 57

You could also take the 15 to the 91 to the 55 to the 5

Or the 15 to the 91 to the 241 to the 5 but it's taking you pretty far south

The 15 to the 210 to the 57 isn't bad either.

Count me as another vote for the 15 to 210 to 57. By far the easiest route with the least traffic. DO NOT take the 91, it's always a headache!

Magix said:
DO NOT take the 91, it's always a headache!

It's not at 6am on a Saturday morning. Honestly, I do take the 91 to DL whenever I go. Everything else is completely out of the way for me and it's the most direct route from my area. I live is SW Riverside county and for me the route is 15N-91-57.

I live off the 91 fwy in Riverside and it is just a nightmare. I agree with others, the 15 to the 210 to the 57 is your best bet. I will be heading to DL this saturday for the first time in almost two years and I am not looking forward to the drive on the 91!

Like I said--leave at 6am. I'm there in an hour from my house and it's a 62 mile drive each way for me. I'm also generally home in an hour (this is leaving the park at midnight).

iceskatejen said:
It's not at 6am on a Saturday morning. Honestly, I do take the 91 to DL whenever I go. Everything else is completely out of the way for me and it's the most direct route from my area. I live is SW Riverside county and for me the route is 15N-91-57.
True, everything else would be out of your way. But they are coming from Vegas. They would pass the 210 before ever reaching the 10, 60 or 91. So for them it won't be out of their way. It would actually be a longer drive for them to take the 91. They would have to backtrack a bit.

Thanks everyone. I am using both Microsoft Streets & Trips on my PC as well as TomTom GPS. Neither of them guide me to #210. After read thru all suggestions, I will plan to take #210 then #57.

I did not realize it was that plainful from LasVegas to Disneyland. If I knew before hand I will spend few hundreds $$$ more for direct flight from Toronto to LA.

Now I start plan for how to spend the 2 days at DL and DCA.

Thanks again :cheer2:

Snow Brite said:
I whole heartedly agree with the 15 to the 210 to the 57! There is hardly ever any traffic on the 210 no matter the time of day going in that direction. It could save you a good hour on the freeway.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter