Last minute trip

JessH87

Earning My Ears
My husband and I decided to do a last minute trip next week Thursday thru Tuesday the 31st. We are annual pass holders and have gone a lot just the 2 of us... this time we will have our 4.5 month old son. We are fully aware it will be a different trip and don't plan to be in the parks as much or during the hot hours of the day. But was hoping seasoned vets could give me the good bad and ugly. What should I remember to bring that I most likely will forget?

We are flying and I plan on wearing my son as much as possible. I breastfeed so we will be good on the food front and I plan to breastfeed during take off and landing. But what should I pack that I might not think of? Any advice is appreciated.

Also I know he won't remember this trip but Disney is our happy place and we need a vacation and we want little man to be good at traveling so we figure start him early!

Last edited:
I can't think of specific packing advice, as baby travel was a loooong time ago for me, but I just wanted to say I support your thinking!

Thank you! We have lots of people thinking we are crazy for taking such a young kid to Disney but its just the first of many trips for him!

Get diapers delivered (if you can) so that you don't have to pack an entire suitcase of diapers. I can't remember how fast they go through them at that age.

Even if you're planning on wearing the kiddo, I'd still bring a small stroller. Babywearing GETS hot.

If you're doing table service, plan on holding him as most places only have highchairs designed for toddlers or infants who can support themselves, but he still needs to be in the headcount.

Here are some of the things from our first trip with our baby that might be a little more unusual/baby-specific:
  • rain cover for stroller
  • attachable fan for stroller
  • breastfeeding cover
  • pacifier for airplane in case little one does not want to breastfeed during takeoff and landing (to help with ear pressure pain)
  • Small bottle of Johnson & Johnson's body wash, and a package of full body wipes (these are much bigger than the hand and face wipes; about the size of a small towel; helpful if you don't have time for a full bath one day)
  • Small swaddle blanket to keep baby warm on a cold airplane.

Get diapers delivered (if you can) so that you don't have to pack an entire suitcase of diapers. I can't remember how fast they go through them at that age.

Even if you're planning on wearing the kiddo, I'd still bring a small stroller. Babywearing GETS hot.

If you're doing table service, plan on holding him as most places only have highchairs designed for toddlers or infants who can support themselves, but he still needs to be in the headcount.

Great thank you! I didn't think about having stuff delivered but that might work best!

Here are some of the things from our first trip with our baby that might be a little more unusual/baby-specific:
  • rain cover for stroller
  • attachable fan for stroller
  • breastfeeding cover
  • pacifier for airplane in case little one does not want to breastfeed during takeoff and landing (to help with ear pressure pain)
  • Small bottle of Johnson & Johnson's body wash, and a package of full body wipes (these are much bigger than the hand and face wipes; about the size of a small towel; helpful if you don't have time for a full bath one day)
  • Small swaddle blanket to keep baby warm on a cold airplane.

Thank you! Reminded me to order a fan for the stroller.

Great thank you! I didn't think about having stuff delivered but that might work best!

I went with a 21 month old for about 5 days. It was easier to order a big box and get it delivered and take the remainder home then figure out an appropriate amount to bring down with us. I will say that staying on top of the diaper changes was the most challenging part for us...

I have friends who swear bringing babies was SO MUCH EASIER than the 15 to 18 month old set. Babies sleep, eat, poop and are sort of an accessory. 15 to 18 month olds fight the stroller....

We got diapers delivered, it was great but we had to wait a few hours for them and the rest of our grocery order to be delivered to our room so make sure you have enough for your flight + a few hours. SUNBLOCK! And hats for baby, bring extras for when you inevitably lose one. That Florida sun gets hot, even when we went in October. Agree with others who suggest bringing or renting a stroller because baby wearing does get really hot, my little guy was practically glued to me after our stroll around World Showcase in the high sun. Make sure you stay hydrated especially as you are nursing. Long dark air-conditioned rides are great for nursing, my favorites were Spaceship Earth and Haunted Mansion. Have fun!

Dont forget the diaper creme- between the diaper changes - my kids also got sweaty- so we used diaper creme in between some of their super cute fat rolls as well. We did more TS (sounds crazy) but it gave us much needed quiet and higher quality AC breaks. Sunblock is clutch as is the fan, baby hats, pool time, and we used a wet washcloth to cool down while we were strolling. Enjoy!

I would suggest checking with your ear doctor regarding flying with an infant. Those altitudes sometimes can and have caused damage to baby's ears. Better to be safe than sorry!

I would suggest checking with your ear doctor regarding flying with an infant. Those altitudes sometimes can and have caused damage to baby's ears. Better to be safe than sorry!

Flying doesn’t damage babies ears. Please don’t spread rumors that could make a new parent needlessly worried. The biggest risk for infants is the recycled air in a plane, but in summer the prevalence of illness is much lower and for a breastfed, worn baby the chance of catching anything is pretty negligible.

OP, I agree that flying and touring with an infant is actually the easiest - you’ll
Be fine and have a great time making memories to share with your son in future trips! I second/third/fourth ordering diapers for delivery (can amazon right to resorts too), and wearing but with a backup in case it’s just too hot. Think carefully about the type of baby carrier and maybe bring more than one, or one your husband can easily wear as well. Have fun!

Flying doesn’t damage babies ears. Please don’t spread rumors that could make a new parent needlessly worried. The biggest risk for infants is the recycled air in a plane, but in summer the prevalence of illness is much lower and for a breastfed, worn baby the chance of catching anything is pretty negligible.

OP, I agree that flying and touring with an infant is actually the easiest - you’ll
Be fine and have a great time making memories to share with your son in future trips! I second/third/fourth ordering diapers for delivery (can amazon right to resorts too), and wearing but with a backup in case it’s just too hot. Think carefully about the type of baby carrier and maybe bring more than one, or one your husband can easily wear as well. Have fun!

Hi bkfamilyof5, I'm certainly not trying to "spread rumors" or to be alarmist. I'm speaking from experience here. We have a family member whose hearing was, unfortunately, permanently damaged during a flight when she was a baby, she was under the age of 2 at the time. I'm not saying that it is common, but it does happen. It doesn't hurt anything to err on the side of caution.

Drink water as much as you can, even when you don't feel thirsty. Touring in July + breastfeeding will dehydrate you so fast. I would also encourage the baby to nurse more often than usual, to keep up his hydration.

If you plan to visit the pool, a one piece baby swim suit with sleeves and legs will offer better sun protection than trying to get enough sunscreen on. Plus being in a wet layer all over helps keep cool. And don't forget swim diapers! (Although that you can find at the gift shop.)

That's a bit much IMO, but I get what you are saying. We have traveled all over with my son, starting when he was 6 months. Any time we take him on a plane, we get him a check up about a week before. They make sure he is not coming down with anything and check his ears for infection and the like. That, along with taking precautions like nursing or paci during tackoff/landing have worked great for us.

Ear infections, along with most illnesses for babies, are more prevalent in the winter, but getting him an a OK from the doc can't hurt and I would actually recommend it! I routinely do it for myself as well if I am not feeling tip top before a vacation. Once I ended up with a UTI I was able to get my Rx for before we left so that I was feeling great for my whole trip instead of uncomfortable because I didn't get myself checked out.

You've gotten other great advice here. Does she sleep well in a Pack N Play? If so, then you should be good. If not, you may want to look into renting a crib. And bringing a sound machine to help with naps and bedtime in the room.

Oh, and take advantage of the Baby Care Centers that are in each park for diaper changes, bathroom breaks, and quiet nursing spots if they are nearby when you need it. Plus they have outlets to charge stuff I've been told.
Just get as much delivered to your resort as you can (Amazon is amazing), try to incorporate some cooler quieter rides into your touring plans, and HAVE FUN!!!

We took our son on his first trip at 7 1/2 months, but we also started taking him to SeaWorld (trial run) around 3 months.

Double-check with your pediatrician, but pretty sure they don't recommend using sunscreen until 6 months old. We ended up buying some very basic, white, light, long-sleeved onesies, some lightweight long pants, and a sun hat when we went to SeaWorld. We also used the sunshade on the stroller when walking around during the day, and then I used a baby carrier for lines.

I also packed pacifiers on links to clip to the stroller or carrier, and I packed a backup set in a ziplock bag (so I didn't have to stop and try to clean them if they got dropped or messy). I used a backpack instead of a diaper bag, and it was much more convenient.

Baby Care Centers are awesome, but make sure you also pack a changing pad for the parks. Since there is only one Baby Care Center in each park, sometimes it's more convenient to use a changing area in a restroom, but they do not have changing pads (or paper like the Baby Care Centers).

If it's not overbearingly hot outside, at some quick service places with outdoor seating (like Pecos Bill) you can park the stroller next to your table.

If the baby is napping, you can use rider swap to go on some of the height restricted rides.

Nursing covers and stroller fans were already mentioned. In Florida you can nurses anywhere, but the Baby Care Centers also have quiet air-conditioned nursing rooms. My favorite spot though was the back row of the Carousel of Progress. Dark, quiet, air-conditioned, not a ton of people - plus it ended up being right around the length of time needed to nurse and I got some entertainment.

And get him his first Mickey Ears Hat with his name and take tons of pictures! Have a great trip!

Hi bkfamilyof5, I'm certainly not trying to "spread rumors" or to be alarmist. I'm speaking from experience here. We have a family member whose hearing was, unfortunately, permanently damaged during a flight when she was a baby, she was under the age of 2 at the time. I'm not saying that it is common, but it does happen. It doesn't hurt anything to err on the side of caution.
My niece also has ear issues due to flying as an infant BUT is was because she had an UN-DIAGNOSED ear infection brewing at the time. A healthy baby with no underlying ear issue will be fine.

With the heat to the summer don't be surprised if Baby refuses to eat with nursing cover. Mine NEVER liked them. I found a quality nursing top and bra to be better for modesty that the cover.

My niece also has ear issues due to flying as an infant BUT is was because she had an UN-DIAGNOSED ear infection brewing at the time. A healthy baby with no underlying ear issue will be fine.

With the heat to the summer don't be surprised if Baby refuses to eat with nursing cover. Mine NEVER liked them. I found a quality nursing top and bra to be better for modesty that the cover.

This is basically what I'm saying when talking about getting the infant's ears checked out prior to flying, ya just never know!

Excellent suggestions already! Seems like a no-brainer but be sure to pack a few changes of clothes for your little one as well as at least an extra shirt for the grown-ups (if not a set of extra clothes) for the plane ride. And more diapers for the plane than you think you'll need lol. It's just a Murphy's Law deal that your baby will have a blowout or a big spit-up all over you en route if you don't bring back-up clothes. :rotfl:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts