Last day confusion about a quick visit to AK

ErickaJean

Earning My Ears
My trip is right around the corner, hurrah. It's been a while since I have stayed OP and we always have early flights, however, this trip with a late flight and an extra day ticket, I have decided to "run" to AK to ride FOP one last time and maybe just sit by the tree of life for a reflective moment or two. My problem is - I don't really know how the resort portion of it will work logistically. For instance, how do I catch the ME and deal with my luggage. Is this even the right forum? UGH and TIA for any help.

You will check out of your room and either leave your luggage with Bell Services or if your airline participates, check your luggage in with RAC. You will receive the bus boarding time the night before. Simply return to your resort near the time for ME, collect any items left at Bell Services, and then get on your ME bus.

To add some details, RAC (resort airline checkin) is available for some airlines (check this thread for the list: https://www.disboards.com/threads/dme-and-rac-faqs.944813/) from 5 AM until 12 noon, and you must complete checking your luggage with them no later than 3 hours before your flight. If you have carryons, you can check them with Bell Services/Luggage Assistance (different names at different resorts). You need to be outside with all carryons at least 15 minutes before the time you're assigned to catch your DME bus, so be sure to arrive back at your resort in plenty of time to claim your carryons.

I would suggest checking your luggage at the resort with RAC and then going to AK with just a small backpack that will serve as your carry-on for the plane. Then instead of going back to the resort to take ME just Uber or Lyft directly from AK to the airport when you are done. The convenience and extra time in the park makes the additional cost well worth it.

My trip is right around the corner, hurrah. It's been a while since I have stayed OP and we always have early flights, however, this trip with a late flight and an extra day ticket, I have decided to "run" to AK to ride FOP one last time and maybe just sit by the tree of life for a reflective moment or two. My problem is - I don't really know how the resort portion of it will work logistically. For instance, how do I catch the ME and deal with my luggage. Is this even the right forum? UGH and TIA for any help.
We do this all the time. Love having that short "last day" in the park so we take an 8PM flight home.

We pack the luggage the night before and take it to Resort Airline Check-in early, have breakfast then head to Bell Service where we drop our carry ons and head to the park. DME picks up at 5PM (for an 8PM flight) so we end up with a good four hours. Head back to the resort by 4:30, get our carry on bags from Bell Service and hop on the Magical Express. Makes a nice last day and we're pretty tired on the plane so we can even get some sleep.

Just a quick reminder to bring the actual paper that DME leaves on your door with you to the bus...they can't just scan your magic band like they do at the airport.
This happened to me at POFQ. The desk clerk told me I didn't need it. I did. The bus driver did not want to let my family on the bus. It was not pretty or fun.

Also, keep in mind that the time listed for your departure is the actual bus departure. Be sure to arrive at teh DME stop 10 to 15 minutes earlier than the time listed on the paperwork.

Thanks everyone! These are very helpful tips. Because it is Thanksgiving week, I am stuck flying Spirit home and they are not part of the list for participating airlines, but I will make it work now that I am clued in!

Thanks everyone! These are very helpful tips. Because it is Thanksgiving week, I am stuck flying Spirit home and they are not part of the list for participating airlines, but I will make it work now that I am clued in!
In that case I would use a luggage shipment service such as LuggageFree to send your large bags home. In the early morning you would have the bellman come and take those pieces and hold them at the bell desk for LuggageFree to collect. They will wrap your luggage and ship it to arrive at your home after you return. Then take a small backpack to AK and Uber directly from AK to the airport with no need to return to the resort. An added benefit is that when you land at your home airport you can leave immediately without waiting around for checked bags.

In that case I would use a luggage shipment service such as LuggageFree to send your large bags home. In the early morning you would have the bellman come and take those pieces and hold them at the bell desk for LuggageFree to collect. They will wrap your luggage and ship it to arrive at your home after you return. Then take a small backpack to AK and Uber directly from AK to the airport with no need to return to the resort. An added benefit is that when you land at your home airport you can leave immediately without waiting around for checked bags.

Wow! I have never even heard of that. I'll definitely check it out. Thanks!

You have options, as you can see, so I can just offer what we have done. Get up, get ready, leave your luggage with Bell Services and then leave yourself plenty of time to get back to the hotel, retrieve your luggage, and get on Magical Express. The biggest time factor can be waiting for bell services to retrieve your luggage, sometimes it's quick and smooth, sometimes it takes a while. We always like arriving early anyway for our bus so we tack on like an hour. We like the Magical Express service so we don't mess with Uber/Lyft, etc...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter