Large Trip food ideas

billsfan12345

Earning My Ears
We are taking 16 people to BLT next year in a GV & Studio. We are looking for some "in the room" food ideas. We are planning dinners at Ohana, Trails End, Chef Mickeys (maybe), Il Mullino and ordering pizza. I would like to cut another expensive dinner out, most likely Chef Mickeys. Any good thoughts on what we can easily cook in the room for that many people?

Solid but looking for something more edible with a full kitchen and dining room table but thanks.

Spaghetti or lasagna with a salad, garlic bread and a dessert usually works. You could even buy those large frozen family size lasagnas to save the cook time, after all the cook is on vacation too.

Solid but looking for something more edible with a full kitchen and dining room table but thanks.

Don't understand what you are looking for. Baked Ziti, Chicken Alfredo, Lasagna, Cheese Enchiladas, add salad, bread, sides, desert, you have a meal.

:earsboy: Bill

You can also shop at Costo, grill steaks, pretty much have the same food that you do at home.

:earsboy: Bill

We eat in several meals. Ours meals are: spaghetti, hot dog rolls (with crescent rolls), grilled cheese sandwiches and salad, and, we order pizza one night.

A spiral sliced ham, deli salads, rolls-Costco has delicious Mac and cheese. If you like a fresh vegetable, I toss asparagus and halved cherry tomatoes with a little olive oil and roast at 450. Put the ham in the oven while everyone is having a drink and a snack. Or cook the night before and eat it cold.

We had 13 in a Grand Villa last year. We had a grocery order from Safeway. We did meals like tacos, spaghetti, pancakes and eggs, bacon. We also got sandwich stuff and snacks.

We are taking 16 people to BLT next year in a GV & Studio. We are looking for some "in the room" food ideas. We are planning dinners at Ohana, Trails End, Chef Mickeys (maybe), Il Mullino and ordering pizza. I would like to cut another expensive dinner out, most likely Chef Mickeys. Any good thoughts on what we can easily cook in the room for that many people?
Not really what you're asking but I will suggest you consider the deluxe dining plan for one but not both villas. With being able to pick and chose, the additional credits of the deluxe plan and the ability to pay for others; you can make out quite well with it many time. Even more so if some of the group are 3-9 y/o.

This may not be up your alley, but bacon, eggs and toast are simple yet filling. We did this at BLT in a 1 bed the other day and it was great!

I would make a few meals that can be heated when people are hungry, since it;s likely that not everyone will be eating at the same time. A suggestion is a big pot of chili, rice and toppings like shredded cheese, hot sauce, tortilla chips and sour cream, or like others have said a couple pans of lasagne/ baked ziti and salad. You can buy those throwaway foil pans.
A cookout could be fun too,since there are grills at all the DVC's. You can make some deviled eggs, buy some fruit salad, open up a few cans of baked beans, make some macaroni salad.And then grill up some burgers or chicken.
and then I would just keep a lot of breakfast food around and stuff for sandwiches.

For a big group, tacos or nachos, with lots of fixings. Also, call me lazy, but at our family reunions, which have about 25 people, I always do paper plates, plastic forks, and the throwaway aluminum bakeware. A lot of energy and planning go into the meals, so anything I can do to make clean up easier, I do.

Any good thoughts on what we can easily cook in the room for that many people?
I'm not sure if they loan a slow cooker of if you can some how bring one (if someone is driving or pack), but BBQ pulled pork or chicken in the crock pot is always easy and great- get some rolls, and colesalaw. The chili also can be made in the crock pot. Just sandwiches -get a variety of meats, cheese, rolls/bread- who really wants to spend cooking for that many people when on vacation. With that many people -- why not ask each party to come up with a couple ideas. That way it isn't just on your back.

There are grills at i believe most of the resorts so you could also do burgers.

It is always tough to plan many meals for that many people because it will be difficult to find something that everyone likes, especially if there are kids involved. Heck, sometimes tough to find a QS location that meets everyone needs, some when traveling with our extended family sometimes we just split up and then meet up after. You might put the expectation that if it is not a planned TS dinner that everyone else is free to do as they want, so if they want to cook and stay in they can or if they want to just hit a QS because they want to be at the park that might work well.

I'm not sure what the make up of your party is, but I would plan a meeting with all the adults involved and figure out everyone's' expectations are. When you have that many people and that many wants, likes and dislikes you might actually be imposing on what people want to do if they have to go back to the villa to have dinner when they might actually prefer to be at the park.

We like to make trip-tip(s), baked potatoes, and Caesar salad. Love using the outdoor grills.

We did a multi-generation trip to Vero Beach years ago. One family made spaghetti with sides (bread, salad) one night. We made tacos and fixings another night.

Another idea might be to order a small catering package. Here in the Chicago area.... Italian beef, pasta, salad, and chicken is a popular package. It's more expensive than cooking yourself, but it would be cheaper than dining out - and less work.

Pork tenderloin stuffed with apples, parm and breadcrumbs (salt, garlic, rosemary) BJ's tenderloin is a go to food for parties at my house. Very economical

Also chicken breast with potatoes, green beans, olive oil and salt - toss it all and throw on cookie sheet. Adding sausage is always an option.

you can make meatballs ahead of time, freeze them in a ziplock bag and put in your suitcase. I also have hubby make his homemade pasta, freeze that in a ziplock bag and throw it in a tupperware container with the frozen meatballs and sauce and put in a suitcase.I have also gotten filet mignon and froze it in a ziplock bag and pack it. it's a 3 hour flight for us so usually the stuff is still frozen when we get to the room. it's great to have SW where you get two suitcases per person, one is always for food.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter